Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times

Advertisements

Here in Brazil, many people really like to dance. Not everyone, but a lot of people do. I don't like to dance, probably because I CAN'T dance!

But nobody dances like the Argentineans. Watch some TANGO, and you will understand what Dance, with a capital D, really means!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Let me rephrase my post: many people take dance lessons to learn the techniques and elements of Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Cha Cha Cha, Samba, Rumba, Swing, Salsa etc.
They learn the steps & moves of ballroom, Latin and club dancing.
Good dancing is a lifetime investment.

I agree with neuling: most people who dance are just embarrassing to watch. Most of them looks like they have a bad case of Parkinson's disease or some kind of epileptic seizures.
Who cares if you do/don't know how to dance a particular style or technique. It's good to learn 'proper' dance moves as well but for me its fun seeing people dance freestyle or doing it myself regardless of how it looks. Sure its random and untrained but there are plenty of singers out there who aren't classically trained either and sound reasonably good.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I wonder if the difference between countries in which dancing is popular everywhere and those in which it is mostly restricted to (ideally intoxicated) people in clubs is knowledge of actual dances and dance steps. In the U.S., at least, most white people can only dance "freestyle" - and 99% look awful doing it. They have no knowledge of any actual dance steps (although polka and line dancing are popular with elderly folk). When I was in Mexico and Costa Rica, though - two countries where dance seems to be popular - most people (at least women) seemed to have a general idea of dances like merengue and salsa. Although they might not have perfectly preset steps like the cha-cha slide, soulja boy, or dougie, there is a specific technique to them. I assume that traditional dances (which one poster said most people in Romania over 30 know - I'm surprised at that number) also have a set technique or steps to them. We have traditional dances, too, but they have become esoteric.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Same here. Most people don't really 'learn' any dancing...dancing at clubs is basically just freestyle, I think only dancers would know any moves or whatnot. I just go with the flow even if I look a total fool, lol. No one really cares.

Go to the Latin countries or Africa and I'm sure you'll find more of a dance culture. Black people are better dancers cos they got a natural sense of rhythm. Lol just joking.
I wouldn't doubt it. OK, just joking too. But seriously, I wonder if black culture places less of an emphasis on self-consciousness than mainstream American culture. (I've heard that theory elsewhere) When whites dance - especially males - one reason they may look so terrible is because they're so self-conscious and hence their confidence is lessened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World