Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And can anyone just move to Guyana? Sounds like a very small country Judging from its location it might have all kinds of disgusting animals and bugs And hardly any white people
He didn't ask about all those conditions. He also didn't ask about emergency medical services, social safety nets, higher education opportunities, reliable postal services, or broadband internet access. He didn't ask for a future foundation for his kids in terms of commitment to math, engineering, and sciences or diplomatic protection (provided by Guyana, not the US) abroad in case a vacation goes really sour.

Give the man what he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 06:21 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkr View Post
I am hoping to hit the lottery tonight and want to start looking for a more freedom loving country than the U.S. I want somewhere I can live with my family and just be left alone by all people if I so desire. Somewhere where guns are not frowned upon but are a natural thing,low taxes,very little government intrusion in life,homeschooling legal. Has to be Europe or Australia or South America. Primary language has to be English as well. So any suggestions?
That is your definition of freedom? I personally would never want to live in a place where guns are a natural thing, homeschooling is legal (except in extreme cases when there is no other alternative and the educators are qualified to teach) and taxes are very low (as this automatically means less investment in public goods such as education, health care and infrastructure). To each his own I guess. I can already tell you that you won't find a country like that in the civilized world, the US comes closest. A country that meets some of your demands is Switzerland, as gun possession is legal there and it has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world. It is also very wealthy and has relatively low taxes compared to other Western European countries. I believe it is one of the most capitalistic countries in Europe and it has relatively little government intrusion in life but it does have things like a national health insurance (which I guess is already too much "intrusion" for people like you). The primary language is not English though but many people do know how to speak it. You severely limit your options if you're only willing to move to English-speaking countries. I guess "freedom" isn't really that important to you then, if you're not even willing to learn another language in order to live in (your version of) freedom.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
According to a site called "Free Existence" you might consider Paraguay. It might not have the level of gun-freedom you want, but it's listed high in "tax freedom" and "limited government." I think it still has a fair amount of underpopulated areas. If you care only about guns and taxes, and you're male, I guess Yemen or Saudi Arabia look good.

Freedom Index : Find Freedom!

When I pick every index they have the top-3 are Switzerland, Hong Kong, and Chile. I considered naming Chile instead of Paraguay, but they look poorer than even Paraguay on "gun freedom."

Another possibility is stay in one of the more libertarian areas of the US like Montana, New Hampshire, or Wyoming.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:26 PM

152 posts, read 150,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
This is so funny, sorry but people like this are pathetic.

I know a great country for you, it is called Somalia.

Honestly if I had a penny for every diptard wannabee libertarian in the USA that complains about the "evil big government" in their I would be in competition with Donald Trump.

Yeah government is not perfect, but it is the reason in which you have rights or freedoms to begin with. Without a governmental system in which the monopoly on violence is established you're rights and freedom count for ****. Anyone can take what they want from you and rape and kill your family with no consequences because their is no enforcement system to deter or take actions against such acts. That's why you have the situation we have in Somalia.

The USA government isn't perfect but honestly it is one of the lesser bureaucratic ran system in the developed world. You need to expand your knowledge and stop believing whatever Fox News is telling you.
So many false assumptions and asinine comments I don't even know where to start. You don't know me so please take the attitude and chip on your shoulder elsewhere.Thanks.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 PM

152 posts, read 150,778 times
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. So many angry and hateful people on this site if you don't like what I am asking then don't answer. I see nothing wrong with what I want. I was thinking Switzerland as well thanks to who ever suggested that. But seeing how as I didn't hit the lottery its still a dream.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 PM

207 posts, read 707,767 times
Too bad you didn't (which I am not surprised), now this thread shall go to waste.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
There are four.
I didn't count Ireland, because Ireland and the UK do not have any immigration barrier between them, If you go to one with your passport, you are in both of them.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I didn't count Ireland, because Ireland and the UK do not have any immigration barrier between them, If you go to one with your passport, you are in both of them.
I am not sure what you mean. Schengen? When you go to Ireland, you are certainly not in the UK and vice versa. Both countries, especially Ireland, would be offended by the way you put it

Old 04-01-2012, 06:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am not sure what you mean. Schengen? When you go to Ireland, you are certainly not in the UK and vice versa. Both countries, especially Ireland, would be offended by the way you put it
Have things changed since last time I was there? You can count Isle of Man and Jersey and Guernsey and Sark and Lundy and Scotland and Wales as separate countries, too, if it serves your argumentative purposes to do so, and take your chances with rubbing somebody the wrong way. And don't forget Gibraltar as an English speaking country in Europe. But I don't think the OP would endear himself to many Gibraltarians, toting an AK-47 around the streets.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have things changed since last time I was there? You can count Isle of Man and Jersey and Guernsey and Sark and Lundy and Scotland and Wales as separate countries, too, if it serves your argumentative purposes to do so, and take your chances with rubbing somebody the wrong way. And don't forget Gibraltar as an English speaking country in Europe. But I don't think the OP would endear himself to many Gibraltarians, toting an AK-47 around the streets.
Well, you were specifically talking about Ireland and the UK. Unlike the other places you listed, Ireland is not part of the UK, it is completely separate. Maybe you meant Northern Ireland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World