Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:57 PM

152 posts, read 150,752 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to hit the lottery tonight and want to start looking for a more freedom loving country than the U.S. I want somewhere I can live with my family and just be left alone by all people if I so desire. Somewhere where guns are not frowned upon but are a natural thing,low taxes,very little government intrusion in life,homeschooling legal. Has to be Europe or Australia or South America. Primary language has to be English as well. So any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkr View Post
I am hoping to hit the lottery tonight and want to start looking for a more freedom loving country than the U.S. I want somewhere I can live with my family and just be left alone by all people if I so desire. Somewhere where guns are not frowned upon but are a natural thing,low taxes,very little government intrusion in life,homeschooling legal. Has to be Europe or Australia or South America. Primary language has to be English as well. So any suggestions?
Your best bet would be Guyana, second choice Belize. They're both third world English speaking counties. Guyana is in South America, Belize is in Central America. Most countries in the regions you listed have bigger government than the US, which has unusually small government for an industrialized nation. Thus your best bet is to go for the developing, sparsely populated countries and these are the only two that come near to fitting the bill in the English speaking world.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 03-30-2012 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 PM

Thank You.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Anyone else?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 PM

207 posts, read 707,724 times
Good luck with the mega lotto.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
The guy already hit it--it's pretty much just Guyana given your stipulations. You might get a little bit annoyed with the lack of infrastructure or the ability to get things done, but the people from there I've met are friendly.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times
Quote:
You're looking for THAT kind of definition of freedom in Europe?
Hope you're not serious.

Your freedom would be my complete Hel* but that aside, Europe is the very opposite of everything you mentioned. Thank Goodness.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
I think Uganda would be perfect for you.

*Plenty of guns floating around everywhere, mostly assault rifles, a natural thing.
*No taxes, no government, everything run by Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance Army, adhering righteously to Christian values.
*Home schooling the only alternative, virtually no public schools, with most of the children in Kony's army, learning proper use of guns at a ripe young age. The LRA will happily embrace your children in their training program They'll be fully qualified mercenaries by the time they are 14.
*Primary language English.

Sounds perfect.

Sorry, not in Europe, Australia or South America. But there are only three English speaking countries in Europe, Australia and South America, which pretty much limits the conversation.

I think you also favor the death penalty, so you'll feel right at home in Uganda, where even homosexuality is a capital crime.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-30-2012 at 10:44 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 02:00 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Hey man, don't spread misinformation about Uganda. Joseph Kony is a dick, but anyone who knew about him before last month is aware he hasn't been particularly active in Uganda for quite awhile, they basically drove his horde into the Eastern Congo where he's been doing his thing. Nor has it ever been true that anything like "most children in Uganda" are in the LRA. We're talking about maybe 60 thousand kids over his whole career, which is awful, but there's 32 million people in Uganda. Also, the anti-homosexuality bill was put before parliament but it has not passed and is not a law. It's possible it won't ever become one, there's alot of pressure on Uganda about this from the rest of the Commonwealth. Uganda's got problems but it's not the irredeemable place you're describing.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:01 AM

337 posts, read 930,508 times
Quote:
So any suggestions?
I think you're stuck. Probably your best bet would be to find the state, county, or enclave within the USA (a rather large and diverse country, y'know) which most closely fits your criteria. I suspect it would be somewhere in the West/Great Plains region, or maybe the South.

Uganda, suggested above, is a good choice if you're willing to eliminate one criterion (it's in Africa). Unfortunately, it's a hellhole; but if you're willing to live according to your principles, you might be able to overlook that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World