Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:44 PM

83 posts, read 114,719 times

Advertisements

Out of all the countries you've lived in or visited which ones seemed to have had the rudest and most unpleasant people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 12:51 AM

10,679 posts, read 16,128,155 times
Most to Least Rude/Unpleasant IMO

1.Panama (Colon province)
2.France
3.Mexico (Cozumel)
4.Singapore
5.Luxembourg

6.England (Southeast)
7.USA (NYC and Florida)
8.Netherlands / Belgium

10.Germany (West) / Austria (Tirol)
12.Turkey (Antalya Province)
13.Colombia (Caribbean region) / Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)

15.Costa Rica (Limon province)
16.Thailand
17.Japan

Old 09-21-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

2.France
3.Mexico (Cozumel)
4.Singapore
5.Luxembourg

6.England (Southeast)
7.USA (NYC and Florida)
8.Netherlands / Belgium

16.Thailand
17.Japan
Davy, you've been to Brazil too yes?

Old 09-21-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHitTheHighNotes View Post
Davy, you've been to Brazil too yes?
Not yet

Old 09-22-2014, 04:05 AM

61 posts, read 68,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

2.France
3.Mexico (Cozumel)
4.Singapore
5.Luxembourg

6.England (Southeast)
7.USA (NYC and Florida)
8.Netherlands / Belgium

16.Thailand
17.Japan

So, in your opinion, Netherlands (which is in the middle of your rating "from most to least rude") is rude or friendly ? or just average ?

Old 09-22-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessplayer View Post
So, in your opinion, Netherlands (which is in the middle of your rating "from most to least rude") is rude or friendly ? or just average ?
1st Group = Rude
2nd Group = Mixed but more rude
3rd Group = Mixed but less rude
4th Group = Least Rude

Old 09-22-2014, 05:16 AM

266 posts, read 679,092 times
Germany, Vienna, Prague, Venice but that didn't spoil my visit.

In Vienna I walked into a posh pharmacist (Idiot!) and got charged 65 Euros for a vial of normal spot creme (I didnt even have spots!). The whole time the impeccably presented woman was hurrying me, rolling her eyes and sighing, when a minute before she was all smiles and light to the other customers. I don't think they take well to backpackers, tourists or non-Whites? in that part of town. To be fair her assistant looked guilty.

The minute we walked out she flipped the closed sign and locked the door, which was incriminating methinks - at which stage I realised the decimal point in the bill. It's one thing to be swindled by some street hustler, it's another by a posh-but-not-that-posh-to-justify-the-price-hike establishment.

I had gone into there because I had bed bites on my face, three, picked up from a spotless hotel in Switzerland. Here people would openly stare and their lips curl in disgust as I walked through town. It was horrible, I just wanted to stay in till the train to Hungary. Contrast that with Budapest where people would at least pretend not to notice or look away. I don't know if things have changed but that was 2004, hanging around the Old Town.

Special mention: Venice. My favourite place in the world but I can understand how locals can hate tourists who have taken over their city - but a man barging through the crowd and pushing my mother and disabled sister in the back was out of order, just generally treated like second class citizens. The hotelier who hiked the price and treated us like immigrant thieves when we questioned it, shouting at us and strutting everywhere, talking to everyone else on the desk about us in Italian - till even my sister apologised to calm him down. We paid his price Still love that place though.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:32 AM

8,888 posts, read 8,531,007 times
Most of the places I've been to were all fine.It really depends whom you met.There are rude people everywhere,likewise,there are friendly people everywhere.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Most of the places I've been to were all fine.It really depends whom you met.There are rude people everywhere,likewise,there are friendly people everywhere.
I think this is an over generalization. Different cultures have different characteristics, some places are just friendlier than others generally speaking. This is even true in the U.S. depending on where you go.

Even regarding foreigners I've met, most people that I've met that are from Thailand are friendlier and seem to be a lot happier than most people that I've met from say Russia.

Last edited by IHitTheHighNotes; 09-22-2014 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-23-2014, 08:22 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,455,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
But France being #1: no doubt in my mind. When I've travelled through France I tell them I'm Canadian and throw in a 'Eh' here and there.
Never had a problem in France, especially outside of Paris. Are you sure it's not you? The fact that you think you can come across as Canadian by saying 'eh' every two words suggests that either that is he case or, even more likely, you've never been to France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World