Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times

Advertisements

My experience in Russia: I was once told by my friend while visiting her family to stop saying please so much, because it sounded strange, almost condescending. BUT, I found the old russian women that were working to be whiners. I always felt that whenever they had to actually do something for their job it was a pain in the butt for them, like I was putting them out. Those may be two contributing factors. I also found people to generally have a serious look on their face most of the time, unless we were socializing.

France...two trips and I always felt like I had to be on my guard and on my own. I didn't find the people particularly helpful, but if you ask my wife she will say they are the rudest people she has encountered while traveling. She had a couple of bad experiences where she felt as those the people were looking down at her or were acting superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
To be fair the Spanish are rude but I think that is because they are sick of foreigners (mostly Brits) using their country as the nightlife, sick bucket of Europe. I could only describe most of my holidays to Spain as chaos, admittedly it only happens in certain parts of Spain, but all this drunken behaviour must be an annoyance to the Spanish.
the spanish are glad of the brits schilling , tourism is spains most important sector

Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
They may be benefits, but that won't stop your average man on the street hating us Brits, well that's the impression I get when there. It is Newcastle on a Friday night x100 lol of course the locals would be pi*sed off!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM

202 posts, read 568,029 times
Paul

Not really, nobody hates the British here in Spain and I'm in the tourist sector.

Of course, there are places like Lloret de Mar or Salou that based their tourism in booze and all-inclusive hotels that serve booze 24 hours, but locals are used to it since the 60's.

Brits (and Germans, French, Russians or whatever) are not blamed, but municipal authorities and tour operators.

Right now, the big issue in Lloret is the fact that tourist don't spend money in town because they are in all-inclusive hotels. The get drunk in very large hotels and then raise hell in town without spending a cent.

In my hometwon, the british tourists we receive are rather well off since this town is expensive, no big all-inclusive hotels.

Tourism in the main industry here and really, people here are used to it and Brits tend to raise hell in the areas alloted to them.

The people that complain the most about the behaviour of some british tourists are other tourists, Spanish people group Brits, Germans, etc, under the name of "Guiris", not a derogatory name and everybody knows that the 60.000.000 tourists that we receive are the backbone of our economy.

Speak No Spaniardo! by Ricky Tomlinson - YouTube

Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Yeah to be fair I am basing my opinion on Magaluf, Benidorm etc. I doubt British tourist behave like that in Madrid or Barcelona.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I have travelled extensively and I have never found any country to be ruder than another. But what you do get is very large cities - New York, Paris, London - that tend to develop a culture of their own and which are often intolerant of tourists. When I lived in New York, gawping tourists would often drive us crazy ... especially when we were in a hurry to get the 6.42pm train home or trying to drive through Times Sq. in order to get to the West Side Highway. Just because they were on vacation didn't mean that we were.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Spain has the rudest people I've ever encountered. Love the place anyway.
Never been, but I know a guy from France who traveled there on a driving vacation there and he said the Spanish were very unfriendly towards him (and he's a really nice guy). He loved the countryside, but not the people.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:40 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Bush gets blamed for a lot of things, some deserved, some not. This is one of the things he shouldn't be blamed for.
Don't know how long you've lived in the USA but believe me, anti-French sentiment , whether it's fair or not, goes back generations.
Interesting comment. I go back generations as well, age 74. I never remember hearing a single anti-French sentiment growing up. Rather the contrary, WW II veterans always had positive stories about France and the French...and, of course, American history courses in H.S. taught us to be grateful to France for its assistance in our founding war.

I can remember first hearing people make generalized negative comments about the French in the mid-70s. The source of these comments were friends and acqaintances who were traveling to Europe for the first time. They were in their late twenties and on up into their late thirties, and their usual itinerary was London and Paris.

They went with a list of sights they wanted to see in each place, and no other preparation. I thought it was entirely predictable that they loved England and felt out of place and uncomfortable in Paris. And most, unfortunately, went with a we-are-the-best-mentality, rather than laid-back curiousity.

However, I do agree, Bush Jr. was not the origin of anti-French attitude in the U.S. It seemed to have become almost a knee-jerk thing by the time Jr. arrived on the scene.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buahh View Post
....The people that complain the most about the behaviour of some british tourists are other tourists, Spanish people group Brits, Germans, etc, under the name of "Guiris", not a derogatory name and everybody knows that the 60.000.000 tourists that we receive are the backbone of our economy.

Speak No Spaniardo! by Ricky Tomlinson - YouTube
Funny video, thanks for the link.

Living in Portugal, I would not agree with the highlighted remark above. The people who complain most about Brit behavior where I live are the people who live here. However, the town is studded with bars owned by Brits that operate on the British drinking-till-you-puke-is-fun model, and these attract crowds of louts......but they bring in money, so they are tolerated if intensely resented. The town could easily find reasons yank their licenses if it wanted too, and it has clearly chosed to live with the situation. High-end Brit tourists are another matter, and they are sincerely welcomed, rather than tolerated.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:21 PM

398 posts, read 698,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Germany.
Cayman Islands.

I was treated very nicely in France and England.
Asian countries...well, that is its own story...and it usually involves staring.
Funny you mention staring, I've encountered this in Germany as well as in China so I agree with ya there. Americans have it so deeply entrenched in their behavior not to stare, point fingers, whisper/talk about people in front of their faces that it is very jarring to experience it anywhere. The image of a refined European, as seen by Americans, doesn't hold up once you actually travel around a bit or live in these countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World