Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:24 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I travel some and never really encounter places that are exceptional rude, and very much agree with this statement:
Some of the perceived rudeness may be attributable to cultural differences rather than anything intentional.
Tourists that don't speak languages, don't try to understand other cultures and history of those places, first time tourists that expect everything has to be the same as in their own country, .....
I think not being prepared - beyond having a list of sights to be seen, and towns to go to, may be a major part of the problem for many folks who have a bad experience.

I'm a "bookish" type of person, and I travel alone frequently. The latter could be a big drawback, if it weren't for the former. I cram, even for a visit of less than a week, and a lot of that cramming is not about sights, but about history, food, customs, religion. I will not claim that this always makes for a seamless transition into a delightful foreign experience, but very rarely am I ever in a situation where I feel isolated, rejected, unable to cope, etc.

Before my first trip to Barcelona I picked up a book on Catalan, because I noticed that the streets had Catalan not Spanish names. Learning how to pronounce a few of them correctly turned out to have been a lucky stroke as several times people remarked on this, and then proceeded to have long chatty conversations....the city is beautiful, but the recollection of these unexpected conversations with taxi drivers, hotel personnel, waiters, store clerks made a strong impression...and I have loved going back.

Even to the point of when I needed some serious surgery, I was happy that it was a hospital in Barcelona that was recommended....and after the operation was over and I was released a week later, I had to recuperate for a week before I could fly back to Lisbon. I had room in a very nice hotel in a busy, but residential neighborhood. I could only walk a couple of blocks on crutches, so I had to hang out in a very small area. It was my greatest time in Barcelona...people began to recognize me, they said hello, some even stopped and chatted when I was sitting in the local vest pocket park. Fabulous time - I felt like a neighbor, and I speak no Spanish or Catalan...just had to wing it in English and Portuguese.

However, I realize that this kind of "study" approach before a vacation would have little appeal to many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 03:17 PM

956 posts, read 1,767,118 times
[quote=Ehiesl;23782183]Funny you mention staring, I've encountered this in Germany as well .. The image of a refined European, as seen by Americans, doesn't hold up once you actually travel around a bit or live in these countries

That was certainly true for me. Some of them expect a lot from other people but don't quite deliver in the niceness and respect departments

Old 04-09-2012, 03:28 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Dumb subjective list. I've been to 45 countries and none stand out as being worse than the other.
I've met nice helpful people everywhere, including the top 10 countries in the rude list.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 AM

46 posts, read 139,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The United States, when you return and pass through Customs and Immigration. In evry other country, you are welcomed as a guest. In the US, you are welcomed as a presumed criminal.
yes I will agree with that! and scary as hell LOL although not being American, but British and living in the states (California), I've hardly ever found general people rude, but most pleasant. Spent 10 days in Australia, and I was shocked how rude people were there. Maybe been spoiled with CA, I don't know.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:03 AM

202 posts, read 568,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Never been, but I know a guy from France who traveled there on a driving vacation there and he said the Spanish were very unfriendly towards him (and he's a really nice guy). He loved the countryside, but not the people.

-----

That's quite funny coming from a French.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Every country can the rudest to tourist but according to my own experience it's France hands down.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 PM

207 posts, read 707,397 times
North Korea tops the list!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,587,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Dumb subjective list. I've been to 45 countries and none stand out as being worse than the other.
I've met nice helpful people everywhere, including the top 10 countries in the rude list.
This.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
That Forbes list that tries to rank the World’s rudest nations for tourists should not be taken seriously and is mostly not accurate.

Placing France at 1st place for being most rude to tourists is ridiculous.

France is actually easily one of the most friendliest countries in the world for tourists. That is one reason why plenty of tourists visit a country such as France.

The ranks and poll in that website link only had around 1,200 votes. And some countries might score higher on that list just because more people visited that country. Other countries that were ranked lower on that list tend to be less visited countries.

Also, it is not always easy to determine friendliness and rudeness of individuals in a general population. Sometimes perceived rudeness can be false and misleading for the situation.

Last edited by ; 04-11-2012 at 02:49 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
North Korea tops the list!
Honeslty i dont think any person could make a objective opinion about the rudenes of North Korean People.

The tours to the country are so controlled its almost impossible to talk to a normal North Korean person.

Have to admit i did not like the Frech very much either, they were no where near as bad as the Italians however, everyone has a different experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World