Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,342,655 times

Advertisements

I have never experienced North Korean people to be unfriendly towards anybody. The people you are getting in contact with as a tourist are helpful, friendly and smart. Unfortunately, you can never get into contact with locals, so no one can proof it false or wrong, whether they are friendly or not.

Maybe we should clarify the world "rude". I do not like people to talk to me in an overwhelmingly friendly style, only to get some tip or for any other reason. I am so sick of this blahblah.

If a tourist behaves stupid, he may not be welcome in a certain country, however I always experienced French and Italian people as being very friendly and helpful as well as Americans, Cuban, Mexican or Uzbek people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 AM

398 posts, read 700,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Placing France at 1st place for being most rude to tourists is ridiculous.

France is actually easily one of the most friendliest countries in the world for tourists. That is one reason why plenty of tourists visit a country such as France.

Sometimes perceived rudeness can be false and misleading for the situation.
Agreed. From personal experience in Paris (very short period of time, however) I was actually surprised at how welcoming the city was to tourists - notably of course, the tourist attractions and touristy areas. We did stay at a place in a sort of no-man's-land, and even there the hotel managers and shopkeepers etc. were very friendly and even spoke English readily. Can't say as much for the German touristy areas I've been to. But obviously this is all subjective, and some folks (Americans and otherwise) expect more from locals than others do. You can't just expect royal treatment from anyone because you're a tourist, sometimes you might actually have to make an effort -- and then sometimes the effort will be spurned! That's generally part of traveling. On the other hand, you/I, perhaps being a "typical" loud, obnoxious American, might experience widely different treatment in different areas and I think it is interesting to gauge different cultures' reactions to that person!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM

190 posts, read 707,736 times
I have the impression that some tourists go to a country and expect to be treated as if they were in a great hotel. While you are on vacation, people are still working, have bad days, rush, stress etc. I think in some countries such as the Anglo-Saxons or even in L.America is very important to be nice all the time, while in other countries such as Italy, Spain or France if you feel bad , you can show a bad face, give a sharper response etc. and nothing happens, or at least is not as important, the forms aren´t as important.

Last edited by bailarina; 04-11-2012 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: i

Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 AM

692 posts, read 1,357,764 times
There's actually a psychological condition called Paris Syndrome, which effects some Japanese tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

A dozen or so Japanese tourists a year have to be repatriated from the French capital, after falling prey to what's become known as "Paris syndrome".

That is what some polite Japanese tourists suffer when they discover that Parisians can be rude or the city does not meet their expectations.

The experience can apparently be too stressful for some and they suffer a psychiatric breakdown.

BBC NEWS | Europe | 'Paris Syndrome' strikes Japanese

Paris syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Japanese are known for being a very polite and well ordered society, and I guess they just aren't prepared for the rude Parisians. I do feel sorry for them, but at the same time it is quite funny.

Last edited by Mulhall; 04-11-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,342,655 times
I don't know what those Japanese people expect to find in Paris (Disneyland?), but I always loved the city. There is so much to discover, so much history, art, music, good food... I could stay there for weeks, if I could only afford the hotel and living costs.

My French is not very good, I always try a few words, until the conversation turns over to English. However french people are always friendly when you at least try to use their local language.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I don't know what those Japanese people expect to find in Paris (Disneyland?), but I always loved the city. There is so much to discover, so much history, art, music, good food... I could stay there for weeks, if I could only afford the hotel and living costs.

My French is not very good, I always try a few words, until the conversation turns over to English. However french people are always friendly when you at least try to use their local language.
I think the Japanese don't know what to expect or have false expectations when it comes to France and particuarly Paris, where as we Brits know exactly what to expect, and the French Waiters know exactly where to draw the line with Brits, unless the french waiter in question fancies wearing the main course or the rude french taxi driver fancies been dragged out of his taxi window by his ears.

The Brits and indeed Americans will often give as good as they get, but the Japanese don't seem to be able to handle these situations in the same way. Mainly due to their very different culture.

Saying that most French people are fine, whilst Paris is a great city and one many Brits enjoy visiting on the Eurostar for a nice long weekend.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:58 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,612,871 times
The problem is that Paris is often presented on media as a fairytale place where everybody is a top model or weathy, where people spend all their day chainting in café and enjoying a "joie de vivre". (Amelie Poulin's Paris as we call it in France).
The reality is that Paris is a 12 million inhabitants, a Great city but with all the flaw of a 12 million inhabitants city.

When people go in New York, they aware that they will see homeless people, poverty crime, they know that not everybody is weathy, that not everywhere is nice.
Because obviously TV series or Movie often present NYC as a crime ridden city.
It is also true on a smaller case for London.

While Hollywood has already a very unrealist vision of Paris, it is even worse in Japanese media.
Japanese almost believe that everyone in France and Paris is blond.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
The problem is that Paris is often presented on media as a fairytale place where everybody is a top model or weathy, where people spend all their day chainting in café and enjoying a "joie de vivre". (Amelie Poulin's Paris as we call it in France).

The reality is that Paris is a 12 million inhabitants, a Great city but with all the flaw of a 12 million inhabitants city.

When people go in New York, they aware that they will see homeless people, poverty crime, they know that not everybody is weathy, that not everywhere is nice.
Because obviously TV series or Movie often present NYC as a crime ridden city.
It is also true on a smaller case for London.

While Hollywood has already a very unrealist vision of Paris, it is even worse in Japanese media.
Japanese almost believe that everyone in France and Paris is blond.
I suspect you are right, London and New York are always presented as more gritty cities than Paris. Paris is very much presented as Amelie, whilst London is more often presented as a gritty city in films such as Neil Jordan's films 'Mona Lisa' and the 'The Crying Game' or in the Mike Leigh's film 'Naked' or even in cult films such as 'Quadrophenia' or 'Withnail and i'.

New York is famous for it's gritty locations used in numerous gangster movies such as 'Goodfellas', as well as films such as 'Raging Bull', Taxi Driver', 'Mean Streats', 'The French Connection' etc etc. The French city of Marseille being potrayed as quite gritty in the sequel 'French Connection 2'. Paris however is rarely potrayed in this gritty way, and I suppose this often leads to an overly romantic view of the city.

I also agree that Paris is a similar size to London and New York, and is much bigger than the population figure often used, which usually only counts the central Paris area.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,436,032 times
I do speak French. I took 3 years of it in high school. I find that this makes the stay in their country much more doable, but it will never be AS pleasant as vacationing in a country which has Italian, Spanish, or Portuguese roots. Of course, I'm excluding Mexico, Venezuela, and other countries with dicey tourist safety issues.

However, I am not in the least bit surprised they are considered the least friendly. And, as far as stereotyping goes, "20,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong!"

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-11-2012 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM

7,895 posts, read 11,454,396 times
Of all the countires I have visited, around 40, France is by far the least friendly to Americans. From Paris to Aix en Provence, from small kids to adults, they were at least consistent. In Paris, which I had business in, when my wife was along, Id stay in the Marriott so we could get instructions to different places in English without a snotty look. Paris is almost enjoyable staying this way. Is it a spectacular city with some great museums but not worth the trouble and price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World