Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM

42 posts, read 75,699 times

Advertisements

If you actually bother to learn even a few phrases in French they are very nice. I've actually never traveled to a country where people were rude in general. Sure, there were a few nutcases, but at most they made up 5% of the population.
If Florida was a country,.... Oh God. That'd definitely be at the top of my list!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 PM

42 posts, read 75,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I grew up in SoCal which experienced the biggest inflow of Iranians. With the exception of those who could buy mansions in Beverly Hills, the more "regular" Iranians were intelligent, friendly, and even funny. They gladly taught me all the words I wanted to know, including the bad ones, as did my Arab friends.
I love Iranians! So sweet, funny, and even accepting. They're not religious extremists either.. or even religious for that matter. Not to mention their amazing food, mmmmmmmhhh. Total opposite of what the media portrays.

Maybe our image of Iranians is skewed though because the ones that came here were the ones against theocracy. My best friend from high school's husband is Iranian and he says that it's really sad to see the way the country has gone. Says that the government is way too extreme even though hardly any Iranians are. Still, I wish the best for them and I really hope they can clean up their repressive government and move towards development because I know they are capable of it

Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
I've never been to Europe but travelled to 5 Asian countries, and I can see how outsiders would see the Asians as being rude:

In Vietnam, if there's any line at all, people would just push in in front of you without a second thought. I remember waiting just to use the ATM for over half an hour because not only were the locals pushing in (there were some tourists in front of me, but frustratingly they weren't doing anything to stop this. To be fair, the little Viets would just squeeze in before you know what was going on - the ATM was in a booth like a phone booth) but they would have this weird habit of withdrawing in small increments - i.e. they'd withdraw maybe 10 dollars (the equivalent of), take the money and repeat the process about 5 times! Me and the tourists were bitching (quite understandably) about them.

Saying 'sorry' is not customary in Asia. Say you're walking and you bump into somebody, or accidentally intrude upon their space, say spill something on them. I learned what 'sorry' was in Vietnamese and at first even said it a few times myself, but after awhile began doing as the locals did.

Shopkeepers in Asian nations are often very business-like. 'Please' and 'thankyou' often not part of the repertoire, let alone small talk or niceities (it's a no BS society). That's just a cultural difference and not a reflection of rudeness imo.

I think like in Russia, in some Asian nations smiling is seen as suspicious.

Let's see what else...people yelling at the top of their heads in public...and as for traffic etiquette? There is none. Motorcyclists using footpaths designated for PEDESTRIANS as an extra lane (and express lane I suppose).

For ALL THIS, however, the people could be very friendly, accomodating and warm. That's why I left Vietnam with a pretty good feeling, despite what you'd think. It's because the good outweighed the bad. When I was sick in Hanoi the hotel owner made me porridge and delivered it up to my room, as well as orange juice, for no cost, and invited me to eat with her family a few times. Many times someone serving me would be interested to talk, partly to improve their English I suppose, but you get the feeling if you lived there you could make friends overnight.

I suspect Italian and Spanish culture is similar. And that was just ONE country. I have other tales to tell from the others I visited.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Speaking of 'Paris Syndrome.' The US is where I found both the rudest and nicest people (since I can speak from a tourist's perspective).

Bus drivers, government workers, store people - often very grumpy, rude. Immigration guy barking orders as if we were naughty school children.

On the other hand a few people asked if I needed help when I was lost, very helpful people, it's quite easy to strike up a conversation.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 PM

In Oz when there's something on the news about some bizarre turn of events in the US the time-honoured sigh goes up 'only in America.'

I think there should be an 'only in Japan' phrase too. It just seems there are so many things unique to Japan/Japanese people. Pillows as girlfriends? A phenomenon of people never leaving their homes and playing video games 24/7 becoming an epidemic? A condition where teens are too afraid to visit the bathroom during lunchtime at school due to embarrassment? I saw a Japanese teen romance recently, and even though the dating culture might seem western on the surface, one can see that rigid ideas about honour and loyalty are entrenched in their culture. Like it seems common for kids to commit suicide (well this is a drama, but nonetheless) over the smallest of things.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In Oz when there's something on the news about some bizarre turn of events in the US the time-honoured sigh goes up 'only in America.'
In Australia, is the general attitude about the US positive or negative? Are Americans viewed as rude or well-mannered? I don't know about where you are, but I'm sure Sydney sees a lot of Americans wandering around checking out the Opera House and the "Coathanger."

As for the US, people in Australia are generally noticed for their accent, that they like to travel, that Sydney is beautiful, that the beaches are among the most beautiful in the world, that it has an indie film culture, that the country is enormous, that this monolith called Ayers Rock sits in the middle of it, and that it has bizarre animal life...(too many) sharks, kangaroos, lethal snakes, koala bears, and aggressive crocs where you might not expect them. Am I partly correct?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
In Australia, is the general attitude about the US positive or negative? Are Americans viewed as rude or well-mannered? I don't know about where you are, but I'm sure Sydney sees a lot of Americans wandering around checking out the Opera House and the "Coathanger."

As for the US, people in Australia are generally noticed for their accent, that they like to travel, that Sydney is beautiful, that the beaches are among the most beautiful in the world, that it has an indie film culture, that the country is enormous, that this monolith called Ayers Rock sits in the middle of it, and that it has bizarre animal life...(too many) sharks, kangaroos, lethal snakes, koala bears, and aggressive crocs where you might not expect them. Am I partly correct?
Australians still have some ignorant attitudes towards Americans, in my experience, since most haven't been to the US, and we don't meet that many American tourists (more Canadians). There's a general negativity towards Americans and America, although once they get to know you that tends to go out the window. Yet, hypocritically, they eat up all that trashy American pop culture. Go figure.

Yeah sounds very stereotypical too lol. I think Americans would find in many ways we're quite similar to you guys. If you ever come Downunder, I'll show you the 'real Australia' how most people live.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times
Quote:
Australians still have some ignorant attitudes towards Americans, in my experience, since most haven't been to the US, and we don't meet that many American tourists (more Canadians). There's a general negativity towards Americans and America, although once they get to know you that tends to go out the window. Yet, hypocritically, they eat up all that trashy American pop culture. Go figure.

Yeah sounds very stereotypical too lol. I think Americans would find in many ways we're quite similar to you guys. If you ever come Downunder, I'll show you the 'real Australia' how most people live.
Wow, with Sydney sending LAX a veritable "sequence" of jumbos belonging to United, Qantas and Air New Zealand on a daily basis? I always thought the Ozzies liked us. Most Canadians seem to, though some think that being "south of the border" means "hick." And what does Canada's rural parts of their interior provinces have?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Wow, with Sydney sending LAX a veritable "sequence" of jumbos belonging to United, Qantas and Air New Zealand on a daily basis? I always thought the Ozzies liked us. Most Canadians seem to, though some think that being "south of the border" means "hick." And what does Canada's rural parts of their interior provinces have?
Those who travel to America are clearly aren't too ignorant. That'd make sense, right? Most Americans only meet people interested enough in America to actually go there. You'll never meet most of the haters unless you come down here. I wouldn't say we 'hate' Americans...but there's this attitude, shared with the rest of the world, that America is imperialist blah blah. In fact it's not that accurate...a largely majority of us do love you, just not the politics, government etc. Moreso than Europeans, IME.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:36 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,392,592 times
Quote:
. Immigration guy barking orders as if we were naughty school children.
Something really needs to be done about this. They are an embarrassment and give so many people a bad first impression of the US. I have seen it first hand coming back into the country and felt like giving these guys a lecture on proper manners to visitors, but that would get me delayed myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World