Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I had to look up the definition of the word tout. Someone who solicits business. OK. What were these pushy solicitors trying to sell you in Morocco?
Mainly tours. The one in Moulay Idriss wanted to show me around the city.

"Tout" is a common term for these people among tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 09:43 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
They are not rude at all, that is Russian culture. It's considered rude over there to smile at strangers.They are very somber and professional in business settings, very different from the over-the-top, shallow and ungenuine friendliness in the U.S.

People shouldn't judge other countries by their owns standards.
That's very true. I've known many Russians who say they only smile if it's genuine, not for the sake of looking nice.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 PM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Annika it's not just rude, it's considered...gay))))
( No people in right mind smile at strangers when everyday life is full of s**t.. er.. unpleasant surprises. ( Including billionaires - they don't smile either))))

PS. I've noticed though that at the bottom of the society downtrodden Americans don't smile all that much either.
Why is that?
What is it with the phony smile Americans love so much? Why can't they accept the fact that in other cultures people just don't smile for no reason, even when they are actually feeling happy?
In Russia, or Germany, a smile is not a signal of politeness. It is not considered normal to smile to strangers, and they do not return a smile for a smile automatically.
There is a unique proverb in the Russian language, which probably does not exist in other languages. "Laughing for no reason makes you a fool", but when the Russians smile, they show a sincere and an open smile. The American smile does not mean anything really, it just appear as strange and artificial.
So, look at that as difference in smiles is a difference in cultures: we smile, but they don't.
Maybe people should read about etiquette before traveling to particular countries, to have an idea how to behave and what to expect.
Most people stick to their own customs when traveling, and expect to see them in return.
That could help understand behaviors, traditions and cultural differences, and cut on some negative remarks or comments like: they are rude, because they don't do this or that the way we do; they are poor because they live in small spaces; their food is terrible and portions too small; etc ...
http://bit.ly/HIXTut (broken link)

Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I've been to 7 countries (US, Canada, France, Spain, Morocco, Mexico, Costa Rica), but live in the U.S. and was only in Canada for about two hours and France the same. Here are my experiences of the countries I've actually spent some time in.
Do you speak any of the languages? I'm assuming you speak French and/or Spanish. I've always found that speaking a local language changed the experience for me. That's been almost a "guarantee" where Italian, Spanish and Portuguese are spoken. Less of a "guarantee" with the French, but certainly a "guarantee" in Quebec, where I found the people to be awesome. So, though my travels are limited (by choice), my experiences mirror the findings in the study.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Russians are most definitely rude. I couldn't believe the Russian family that was letting their dumb son kick the back of my seat during the whole trip back to America from France. He was the same age as me for heaven's sake and he was acting like a ignorant child. I complained to the stewardess maybe twice. She couldn't communicate with them because they didn't speak English. Go figure. That little jerk was lucky I am not a hot tempered or aggressive American. All hell would have broke loose on that plane.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:57 AM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Russians are most definitely rude. I couldn't believe the Russian family that was letting their dumb son kick the back of my seat during the whole trip back to America from France. He was the same age as me for heaven's sake and he was acting like a ignorant child. I complained to the stewardess maybe twice. She couldn't communicate with them because they didn't speak English. Go figure. That little jerk was lucky I am not a hot tempered or aggressive American. All hell would have broke loose on that plane.
He was your age and you make his parents responsible for it? why didn't you communicate ( with gestures ) with him, to let him know how you feel about it??
Now because of one person, ALL Russians are rude.....

Old 04-15-2012, 05:32 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
United States Customs and Immigration people are very friendly as long as you follow the rules. I am from immigrant background and I found american staff much more friendly as compared to european or australian immigration people.
No they are not. Everytime I go to the States I feel like I am being treated like a killer or something. They dont even say hello. Whats your reason for travelling to the US. I have to answer but I would much rather say its none of your business what I do and what I will do over there.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
LOL you big man. But really...one family accounts for a country of around 140 million or so? I don't suppose American parents ever let their children behave badly? I was at a hotel once where a group of (children) hockey was staying, and they were horrible. TPing cars in the lot, the parents out there helping them. That is no joke.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
No they are not. Everytime I go to the States I feel like I am being treated like a killer or something. They dont even say hello. Whats your reason for travelling to the US. I have to answer but I would much rather say its none of your business what I do and what I will do over there.
They talk to hundreds of people every day. You can't really expect that they are full of energy, happy, and overly nice to every single person.
They ask the same questions U.S. citizens. Although they seem to like me and I get through it quickly.

Funny that you would say this, though. I thought the U.K. is worse. Once time they didn't want to let me in because I didn't have my return train ticket printed out and she gave me an attitude... "How will I know you are going to leave the U.K. and not stay illegally"... I never have the return tickets on me. I would think most people don't... Had to argue with her quite a bit. Nobody really cares how nice they are. I care about how much of a hassle the whole process is. I think they even do this with E.U. citizens. I'm not aware of any other E.U. country that does this.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
The more people show a somber charachter, the more I grin to them. Not a sweet smile, just a stupid grin. I hate it when people stare at you with a somber face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World