Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM

692 posts, read 1,355,590 times

Advertisements

The only reason most people go to the Alps is to ski. There are planty of cheap flights from the UK, as well as the Eurostar Ski Train from London St Pancras

Ski Train - Trains to France - Eurostar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Exactly. Are mountain ranges such as the Himalayas really suited for skiing? They are pretty dangerous, not to mention surrounded by mostly unpopulated, untouched land. Too hard to get to.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
It isn't about total height.

All these mountains are different, and are beautiful in their own way.

If the only criteria is total height than the Himalayas win hands down.

We could post photos of breathtaking mountains forever in this discussion. Every single one of them could be stunning, but that doesnt mean one is overrated.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,559,719 times
Many countries have very beautiful mountains. Some of my favorites are in Pakistan:

Old 04-14-2012, 07:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Jeez, even the Catskills are overrated because of where they are. "Overrated" is a function of the large number of people who have access to something they can rate and a lack of familiarity with alternatives. Athletes who play for New York teams are overrated, American movies are overrated.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
This is a good question. I wouldn't say the Rockies, especially the Canadian Rockies, are overrated but here are mountains outside the west that are quite beautiful and certainly rival the western mountains in beauty, if not in publicity.

Check out the Guilin mountains in China

http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/1x...0-00618782.jpg

Or these in the Yangzi River area

http://www.rickety.us/wp-content/upl...nnan_China.jpg

The Yellow Mountains

http://photoeverywhere.co.uk/east/ch...china01762.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1182/...51e8631cd9.jpg
Awesome pics! I've always wanted to go to Guilin. I want to check out the Yangzi River area as well. Those mountains seem to go up forever.

I wouldn't say the Alps are overrated. The Rockies however, sure they are beautiful, but I actually prefer the Cascades or Sierras.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Well, if you spend most of your time in English language media and environments, then you'll likely hear more about the things, places, and people which are identified with, inhabited by, or members of that society. The same goes with other cultures.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I wouldn't say they are over-rated so much as contextually appreciated.

You ask an American what he considers to be the most spectacular mountain range and he may well say, "The Rockies". You ask an Iranian the same question and he will claim the Elburz. An Indian will claim the Himalaya, and a Bolivian, the Andes.

There is something to be said for people's opinions being based on their local reality rather than what they have only seen in pictures. People who are well-traveled may have a more cosmopolitan opinion.

Also, appreciation of such things is entirely subjective. Many people do not judge the beauty of mountains based on superlatives or statistics. Size isn't everything. To me, the most beautiful mountains in the world barely exceed 4,000 feet above sea level.
very good point +1

I agree that the alps are very stunning, but you should see them in person.

I think the rockies are really stunning from particular places in wyoming, a bit more picturesque.

I had a similar conversation with someone about cities on the pacific coast vs cities on the mediterranean, its all subjective.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:28 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
The spectacularness of mountains has to do, oftentimes, with where you are standing and looking at them.

If you're in Denver, at 5280 feet in altitude, those mountains don't look so awesome. If you're at sea level in Seattle, and get a glimpse of Mt. Ranier at 14,000+ feet, on a rare sunny day, now that's just mind-blowing!!!

And if you're looking up at the Andes mountains, at the lowest altitude possible, then you're left speechless with amazement! But not if you're in La Paz, Bolivia, at 12,500 feet up or Quito at 9,500 feet up! In Santiago, Chile, looking up at Mt. Anacongua at 22,600 feet, on a rare clear day, W-o-w-e-e!!!

Unfortunately, when I was in Nepal, I never was able to grasp the splendor of the Himalayans due to weather conditions at the time, or Mt. McKinley in Alaska.

Can't really judge the Alps, as the times I was there was in late Fall, too cloudy to see them in all their glory.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:33 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
We could post photos of breathtaking mountains forever in this discussion. Every single one of them could be stunning, but that doesnt mean one is overrated.
Perhaps, another way of wording it is rather than it being the well-known ones overrated, but rather that the other ones are underrated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World