Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,497,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The thread about Austria being the most beautiful country got me thinking. Worldwide, the Alps of Europe or the Rockies in North America aren't anything special. Just look at a world map and see how many countries feature mountains, many HIGHER than the Alps.

For instance, Iran. The Zagros mountains look way more breathtaking than the Colorado Rockies and are easily comparable to the Sierras. Also Turkey, with Mt. Ararat, and Mt. Elbrus.

In China and Central Asia there's more than the Himalayas. The Tien Shan, Karakoam, Hindu Kush (where K2, the world's second highest peak is) - all feature peaks over the 7,000 m mark. Yet, for political reasons, these areas are not appreciated by Westerners.

Aside from the Himalayas and to an extent the Andes, the world's other great mountains seem ignored by the majority who are not as geographically literate.

Austria sure IS beautiful, but for natural scenery, there are places all over the world that could easily rival the European Alps in beauty/spectacularness.
I think you neglect to consider that Afghanistan is pretty poor, so is Pakistan. India and China.. well, developing countries. I don't think people call the Alps "beautiful" solely based on the appearance. They also offer a whole bunch of things such as very nice ski resorts etc.
The Rocky Mountains include some major national parks. They need to be maintained. Otherwise, everything would mushroom in there. That costs money. Money many developing countries do not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,005,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess with Americans the thing is that they always seem to think what is American is the best, just because it is American.
In Europe the corresponding attitude is not as strong, we are more realistic over here I guess.

Anyway, what is important with mountain chains regarding their appeal is the way they are structured. When a mountain range towers over a flat low surrounding, it is much more spectacular than when the surrounding countryside gradually builds up. In that case one often doesn't even notice the high elevation.
Neuling, if you ever spend time in the US, you'll quickly learn that the P&OC forum is NOT representative of more than half the population
----

I happen to like the Canadian Rockies, there's more mountains there, it seems, than the American part, until you get to Alaska. I happen to especially like the BC Coast Ranges

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 04-16-2012 at 06:14 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 08:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,213,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The Alps are pretty phenomenal.
Have you seen either mountain chain, OP?
Maybe overrated wasn't quite the word?

I suppose it's posts saying 'Austria is the most beautiful, has the best scenery' which annoy me. Just because the Alps are the only mountains you know does not mean they are the best in the world, by a long shot.

But for topographical prominence the Alps are quite impressive even by world standards.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, if you spend most of your time in English language media and environments, then you'll likely hear more about the things, places, and people which are identified with, inhabited by, or members of that society. The same goes with other cultures.
Pretty much.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The spectacularness of mountains has to do, oftentimes, with where you are standing and looking at them.

If you're in Denver, at 5280 feet in altitude, those mountains don't look so awesome. If you're at sea level in Seattle, and get a glimpse of Mt. Ranier at 14,000+ feet, on a rare sunny day, now that's just mind-blowing!!!

And if you're looking up at the Andes mountains, at the lowest altitude possible, then you're left speechless with amazement! But not if you're in La Paz, Bolivia, at 12,500 feet up or Quito at 9,500 feet up! In Santiago, Chile, looking up at Mt. Anacongua at 22,600 feet, on a rare clear day, W-o-w-e-e!!!

Unfortunately, when I was in Nepal, I never was able to grasp the splendor of the Himalayans due to weather conditions at the time, or Mt. McKinley in Alaska.

Can't really judge the Alps, as the times I was there was in late Fall, too cloudy to see them in all their glory.
I've heard that in that sense Mt. McKinley in Alaska is the most spectacular in the world because of it's topographical prominence. Almost from sea-level to over 6000 metres. The Alaska range/Denali beats most of the Canadian Rockies except for the northern part, but beauty isn't only to do with height.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,496,913 times
I can see the Front Range of the Rockies from my balcony and I think they're amazing. However, I also think the Grand Tetons are spectacular and so are the Himalaya. I'm positive there are mountain ranges I haven't lived in that I would find stunning (eg; the Andes). It's all just a matter of experience and perspective. And Kanhawk, if that picture of the bridge is for real I am starting to save for my trip to China!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,818,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Neuling, if you ever spend time in the US, you'll quickly learn that the P&OC forum is NOT representative of more than half the population
----

I happen to like the Canadian Rockies, there's more mountains there, it seems, than the American part, until you get to Alaska. I happen to especially like the BC Coast Ranges
I hope so

Although they are not as high, I guess I would prefer the Appalachians to the Rockies. Actually, there is a similar difference within Germany. The Rockies remind me a bit of the Alps because of the snow-covered mountains tips, the naked rock, and the type of vegetation, the many conifers, etc. The Appalachians on the other hand remind me of central Germany with its lower mountains covered mostly by deciduous trees.

I love deciduous trees, especially in the fall

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-a_Scr9L--7...Leonard_02.jpg

Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,005,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I hope so

Although they are not as high, I guess I would prefer the Appalachians to the Rockies. Actually, there is a similar difference within Germany. The Rockies remind me a bit of the Alps because of the snow-covered mountains tips, the naked rock, and the type of vegetation, the many conifers, etc. The Appalachians on the other hand remind me of central Germany with its lower mountains covered mostly by deciduous trees.

I love deciduous trees, especially in the fall

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-a_Scr9L--7...Leonard_02.jpg
Since I used to live in Appalachia (northeast Pennsylvania) I highly recommend you pay a visit to us in the fall. Fly into Philadelphia and drive west. Such spectacular views and trees EVERYWHERE. It's like a deciduous jungle

Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,316,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Since I used to live in Appalachia (northeast Pennsylvania) I highly recommend you pay a visit to us in the fall. Fly into Philadelphia and drive west. Such spectacular views and trees EVERYWHERE. It's like a deciduous jungle
I agree, there are some nice towns that you can also stop through in the region as well regardless of the time of year. I'm quite fond of the area in the Lehigh valley.

When I think about it sometimes Appalachia get's a real bad rap but you in an hour you can either be in Philadelphia or NYC pretty easily. You can also head to places like Bear Mountain or Ramapo state park in NYC, and of course the Palisades

Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM

^ Yeah height and jaw-dropping geological monuments don't always make a place more beautiful. It's hard to beat the forested beauty of the Appalachians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World