Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,396,188 times

Advertisements

Several acts on behalf of the United States, often involving medical aid to those we have fought in wars, more recently in the Middle East.

Then, there was a function where a delegation from Iraq came to the US to represent their country in some type of competition after the war had waned, and they were given a standing ovation. At the Olympics, too, though I believe that was in Athens or Beijing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 PM

3,874 posts, read 5,300,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
May I suggest that you learn how to read. The link you provided talks about how Canada has been involved in the rebuilding of the country after it was blown to bits by the USA military. It also points out that Canada DID NOT participatate in the WAR!!!!
Read the section on Military participation you dingbat.

Okay actually that may be too complex, so let me cut and paste it....

Though no declaration of war was issued, the Governor General-in-Council did order the mobilization of a number of Canadian Forces personnel to serve actively in Iraq.[1] On 31 March 2003, it was reported in Maclean's that in the previous month Canadian officers, aboard three frigates and a destroyer, had been placed in command of the multinational naval group Task Force 151, which patrolled the Persian Gulf region. A further 30 Canadians worked at the US Central Command in Qatar, and 150 troops were on exchange with US and British forces in proximity to combat.[3] North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) stationed Canadian Air Force pilots also flew combat missions with the US Air Force E-3 Sentry, and exchange officers fought with US units. In all, 40 to 50 Canadian military members participated in the conflict.

General Walter Natynczyk, one of the Canadian officers who served in Iraq, then a Brigadier General
Because of this Canadian involvement in Iraq, the Ministers of the Crown at the time were criticised by Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition as hypocritical, and demands were made for the return of these Canadian Forces personnel. The Prime Minister stated that the Canadian military was not involved in direct combat, while still fulfilling its commitment to NORAD. However, it was claimed by Janice Gross Stein and Eugene Lang in The Unexpected War that people from Canadian ministries were in Washington, D.C., openly vaunting Canada's participation in Iraq;[1] as Stein and Lang put it: "in an almost schizophrenic way, the government bragged publicly about its decision to stand aside from the war in Iraq because it violated core principles of multilateralism and support for the United Nations. At the same time, senior Canadian officials, military officers and politicians were currying favour in Washington, privately telling anyone in the State Department of the Pentagon who would listen that, by some measures, Canada's indirect contribution to the American war effort in Iraq– three ships and 100 exchange officers– exceeded that of all but three other countries that were formally part of the coalition."[5][1]
Amongst the Canadian officers who were sent to Iraq were: Brigadier General Walter Natynczyk, who was later appointed Chief of the Defence Staff; Major General Peter Devlin, who served since 14 December 2006 as Multi-National Corps-Iraq Deputy Command General as part of his role as Deputy Commander of the US III Corps through an officer exchange program;[6] and General Nicolas Matern, a special forces officer and former commander of Canada's elite counter-terrorism unit, who in mid February 2008 began service as deputy to Lieutenant General Lloyd Austin.[7]

Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 PM

491 posts, read 1,654,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
When American astronauts landed on the moon.
Wow, that's hard to beat, good one!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,032,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Wow, and the US is a dying superpower.
Surprise.. I'm ok with that.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,137,002 times
The moon landing was a great moment for Americans, wish I had been old enough in 1969 to appreciate the significance of it. Of the events I remember well, the one that gave me the most pride for my country was the events of December 1989 in Eastern Europe. That was a very nice ending for the 1980's, when the Berlin Wall came down and most of the former east bloc countries became free to choose their own destiny.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,637,028 times
When Tara lipinski got a gold in winter Olympics. Or when Vince dunked on the French guy or rocky beat drago, j/k

Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,957,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
May I suggest that you learn how to read. The link you provided talks about how Canada has been involved in the rebuilding of the country after it was blown to bits by the USA military. It also points out that Canada DID NOT participatate in the WAR!!!!

Must be nice being part of a country that only helps with doing things after all the hard work has been completed.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:34 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,957,434 times
I am very proud of landing on the moon, really anything to do with space.

I really hope the US space program picks back up in the future, thankfully we have spaceX or Russia would have us completely dominated

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 AM

37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Me, too, with the space program. The numerous ill-advised invasions and wars are hopefully temporary, but the US's exploration of space is a milestone for the entire world. I wasn't born for the moon landings, but I can appreciate them. The subsequent missions were amazing as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,591,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Must be nice being part of a country that only helps with doing things after all the hard work has been completed.
The HARD WORK?????????????????????????????
If it were not for this CRIMINAL work we would not need to help rebuild the country. The USA has done plenty of really bad things in my life time but this stands together as tied for top spot with the war in Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World