U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 05:26 AM

183 posts, read 234,810 times

Advertisements

Been there, giving it a resounding "meh" as well.
The trashy Russian tourists were EVERYWHERE raiding hotel buffets and taking over hot tubs to the extent that the vacation became unpleasant. The tour operator actually offered a "No Russian guanrantee" at some resorts and I thought it was racist until I actually went to the place.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 06:09 AM
B87

11,786 posts, read 9,124,467 times
I would've thought Bangkok, Singapore or Dubai would be 3rd, due to the airports being major hubs.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:00 AM

42,661 posts, read 80,589,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I would've thought Bangkok, Singapore or Dubai would be 3rd, due to the airports being major hubs.
Depends on how you define "visit". It is unknown how the word "visit" is defined for the purpose of the enumeration in the OP's reference.

I cannot find a citation link to the claim in the OP's title anywhere in this thread. Has anybody other than the OP made the claim that Antalya ranks third in tourism visits? The Antalya Wiki article says 12.5 million visitors per year. That's 35,000 arrivals every day, which challenges credulity.

For sake of argument, let's take Arlington, Texas. It's on the freeway between Dallas and Fort Worth. Well over 100,000 commuters drive through Arlington everyday, to and from work, so that's 25-million (50 million,because they do it twice a day), not counting weekends.. Another two million people go to Arlington every year to the baseball stadium there, and a million more for football, and that doesn't count the theme park nearby. A hundred million visitors a year would be a conservative estimate for Arlington Texas. Where does that rank on the world scale? Probably not even in the top 50.

The SF-Oakland Bay bridge carried 250,000 cars a day. Every one of them driven by a person visiting or returning from a visit to either Oakland or San Francisco. That's 50-millkion each, for Oakland and San Francisco. Not counting people who enter one of those over cities every day from other directions.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-12-2015 at 08:54 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 04:53 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,186,799 times
Really very surprising!!!

Old 03-13-2015, 05:22 PM

723 posts, read 727,876 times
Turkey is not that attractive anymore for moving steadily away from secularism to supporting radical Muslim terrorist groups. If this isn't true so why did the Turks play a fuzzy game when ISIS was in Kobane? why is Turkey letting those naive teenage British girls travel through its territory to cross over to ISIS land in Syria?

Old 03-13-2015, 06:36 PM

42,661 posts, read 80,589,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Turkey is not that attractive anymore for moving steadily away from secularism to supporting radical Muslim terrorist groups. If this isn't true so why did the Turks play a fuzzy game when ISIS was in Kobane? why is Turkey letting those naive teenage British girls travel through its territory to cross over to ISIS land in Syria?
Maybe because Turkey is a sovereign nation, making foreign policy decisions with an eye to potential future consequences, using other criteria than quick draw and shooting from the hip and narcissistic swagger. Remember, Turks have to live there for the long run in the middle east. They can't just bring their heroes home when the going gets rough, and declare to an embedded media another brilliant victory from across the ocean.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:35 AM

2,896 posts, read 4,595,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Depends on how you define "visit". It is unknown how the word "visit" is defined for the purpose of the enumeration in the OP's reference.

I cannot find a citation link to the claim in the OP's title anywhere in this thread. Has anybody other than the OP made the claim that Antalya ranks third in tourism visits? The Antalya Wiki article says 12.5 million visitors per year. That's 35,000 arrivals every day, which challenges credulity.
I did a bit of digging, the Antalya wiki article has a link to a newspaper article that says:

Quote:
According to a report based on 2013 figures by the Turkish Hoteliers Federation, the Mediterranean city of Antalya, Turkey’s main tourism hub, attracted 12 million tourists, ranking third in the world after London and Paris, which attracted 18 million and 17 million tourists respectively. Turkey’s biggest city, Istanbul, ranked seventh with 11 million tourists.
So there you go, tourism lobby says they are important for their country's economy. This more well-known ranking doesn't list Antalya as a destination city but assuming the 12.5 million number is correct, Antalya would be 4th behind London, Bangkok and Paris and just above Singapore. Obviously your main point still stands but applies to many transportation hubs, especially winter snowbird destinations (Cancun etc.). Milan is 13th on the MasterCard list I linked above, but not many people who go to Italy actually spend much time in Milan, they just happen to get there but then go to Venice, Tuscany, Lake Como, etc.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:22 AM

6 posts, read 3,293 times
Would never have thought about Antalya! Proof that we learn new things every day!

Old 07-07-2020, 03:25 AM

18,953 posts, read 7,406,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Antalya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How can this possibly be the third-most visited city in the entire world, when I've never even heard of it ??? I'm very surprised.

And I've been studying cultural geography intensely all my life, and I'm 60 years old (American).
Beautiful country, with some great historic cities.

Just a shame it has Erdoğan in charge.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:42 AM

10,844 posts, read 8,866,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Beautiful country, with some great historic cities.

Just a shame it has Erdoğan in charge.
Apparently now that Europe is slowly opening up for tourism in Turkey you could be charged up to 44 quid (or was it Euros?) for a kebab! Fleecing the tourists is their way of reimbursing lost revenue - fleecing like that might mean that it won't be a place highly visited for very long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World