U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM

24,682 posts, read 50,580,313 times

Advertisements

Thailand is called the 'Land of Smiles' but in Bangkok the people were mostly how they are in most big cities. More smiles than Western countries, but still it's a big city.

I can't speak for countries I haven't visited. I can't judge by backpackers I meet, since most are having a good time/drinking.etc and do not reflect the typical Dutch or Korean person going about their day to day business.

I'd say in Australia, smiling at strangers is not uncommon, but it's also very common to keep a 'stiff upper lip' and not express any emotion. I imagine Britain is worse.

In SE Asia aside from Singapore, people seem quite free with their smiles, but are often business-like and do not smile if they have not met you. If they have however they do like to smile and laugh a lot.

I always considered Southern Europe to have a lot of people who smile a lot but maybe I'm wrong. Sweden, Denmark seem full of reserved people who only open up with alcohol.

No idea about Africa, but Africans I've met seem more serious than I thought.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 AM

42,661 posts, read 80,233,361 times
Americans. They are taught to smile, even when inappropriate. They even wear smiley face buttons and say meaningless things like "have a nice day". It is impossible to distinguish a genuinely friendly American from one who simply knows the drill.

Americans even spend a fortune to get their teeth fixed, straightened, whitened, in order to have a smile that conforms with national cultural expectations. We watch movies about horribly destitute people living in slums or like hillbillies, who are played by actors who have perfect teeth, and it doesn't even seem out of place to us.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Americans. They are taught to smile, even when inappropriate. They even wear smiley face buttons and say meaningless things like "have a nice day". It is impossible to distinguish a genuinely friendly American from one who simply knows the drill.
Unless you're just very fake, I think training oneself to smile can actually MAKE you feel happier and smile naturally more. There have been studies done on it. Smiling does make you happier, not just the other way around.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM

7,540 posts, read 9,035,908 times
thai , vietnam , malaysia , seems to be very common in that part of southern asia

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
thai , vietnam , malaysia , seems to be very common in that part of southern asia
Yes, probably moreso than East Asia.

Would you say the Irish smile more than the English and Scots? They seem more happy-go-lucky.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM

47,557 posts, read 68,351,084 times
I don't believe that forced smiles actually makes anyone happy. Artificial smiles are just like that - phony and meaningless. We already discussed it in another thread. Not sure why is this thread any different and what it is going to accomplish. We will just repeat again, and again that smiling to anything and everybody without any reason is a cultural thing. Actually, American "invention" where people who are not very expressive are regarded with some suspicion. They are accused to be cold, withholding, depressed.
People in some other countries smile more than others but no one beats Americans in that..... Some people don’t smile often and are quite content. Others smile a lot of the time, but it is out of anxiety.
I agree with jtur88 on that.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't believe that forced smiles actually makes anyone happy. Artificial smiles are just like that - phony and meaningless. We already discussed it in another thread. Not sure why is this thread any different and what it is going to accomplish. We will just repeat again, and again that smiling to anything and everybody without any reason is a cultural thing. Actually, American "invention".
People in some other countries smile more than others but no one beats Americans in that..... Some people don’t smile often and are quite content. Others smile a lot of the time, but it is out of anxiety.
I agree with jtur88 on that.
That's me, although when I'm happy and comfortable I also smile a lot, so I naturally smile a lot. People would think something was wrong with me. Sometimes in public, when I see sometime and am smiling and they return with a stony frown, it makes me feel embarrassed, as if they think I'm acting goofy or anything. I may not even be smiling at them but catching their steely gaze makes me uncomfortable. Why do people have to be so serious? Maybe if Russians smiled more in public they wouldn't take everything so damn seriously and it would be a less violent society?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 AM

47,557 posts, read 68,351,084 times
Smiling all the times do not makes people less serious, or less violent - they just looks silly, imo.
Actually study revealed that fake smiles may cause depression and maybe even a violence.
Just talk with people working in Customer Service. They have to smile to everyone, even to the phone (!) all day long. By the end of the day they are tired of being nice and smiling at everyone. Some in fact are close to snap and release their frustration.
Employers encourage their staff to always appear happy in order to boost the success of an organisation, however smiling for the sake of smiling can lead to emotional exhaustion and withdrawal, but I don't think that "the organizations" really care about that.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM

697 posts, read 1,267,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Thailand is called the 'Land of Smiles' but in Bangkok the people were mostly how they are in most big cities. More smiles than Western countries, but still it's a big city.
It's called drumming up trade, they also wink a lot and do bizzare things with ping pong balls.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM

14,743 posts, read 31,040,822 times
From my experience, people that live in warmer weather and hail from Mediterranean-Latin stock - people that can come up with monikers like "la dolce vita" and "joie de vivre," or say things like "me encanta" a lot. That ought to narrow the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World