Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,884 times

Advertisements

As a Brit who lives in Paris (I have also spent time in Italy) I am European through and through. I've only been to the US once, and Canada once.

I cannot agree that the US is boring, nor lacking in history. There is 500 years of white history in the US – even longer if you count Amerindian history. Admittedly there isn't as much as in Europe but what there is is better preserved and cared for than over here. In the UK or Italy people think nothing of spraying a 500-year old church in graffiti, or letting ancient cottages go to rack and ruin. There are awful examples of post-war urban planning where a massive carpark or motorway has totally obliterated something historic. Although America does go a bit far in its obsession for preservation: I think Williamsburg, VA or Niagara-on-the-Lake in Ontario are so "perfect" they feel fake. The diversity is huge – there are so many minority/fringe cultures in the States (such as the Amish). If you turn on the TV here in France or in the UK there are tonnes of documentaries by European film crews about the US – recently French tv has shown stuff on gangs in LA, the decline of Detroit, etc – so the US continues to fascinate, even if its cultural clout seems to be waning.

I do admit the endless repetition of the same chain stores and fast food restaurants is depressing, but that is a process that is happening in the UK and to a lesser extent here in France also. It's just we don't have the space nor the cheap gas to replicate your suburbia over here (and thank God!)

But Europe has loads of depressing, anywhere towns where people lead dead-end, uninteresting lives. Americans on vacation and film crews obviously only go to the beautiful/interesting places (Florence, Rome, Paris, Bath, Oxford...), so I think they have a slightly distorted view that it's all glamour and history over here. And in places that suffered lots of damage in WW2 (UK, Netherlands, Germany) there's often little of the historic architecture that you Americans get so excited about. Google street view somewhere like Coventry, or Skelmerdale in the UK, and you'll get what I mean.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
US has a boring history?
-Go to the Grand Canyon, Arches, or the Badlands and think about the natural history of those places...truly amazing.
-You may also want to learn about the legends and history of Native Americans
-While this requires imagination, effigy/burial/indian mounds are scattered throughout the midwest to tour, although these are all off the beaten path
-Then the european history in the US started, starting east and moving west...this is a history of discovery, innovation, and adventure.

The US history may not be as "in your face" as europe, but it is there.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
Driving up and down the Pacific Coast Highway by Cali(fornia) is enough to want to stay in the US of A.
I have driven between Ventura, CA and Monterrey, CA on mostly narrow 2 lane road with one side facing the Pacific and the other side by mountains.

Europeans are extremely broke right now, so I'm providing you guys a peek at the Cali Pacific Coast Hwy . Just click an image and you can navigate the whole coastline.

The internet wouldn't exist if it weren't for the USA. USA! USA! USA!

btw, it's impossible for me to hate the Europeans. here's the reason : Jenny Agutter ( european then, californian NOW ). Jenny! Jenny! Jenny! Thanks europe for ... for such a lovely creature.
All Europeans? . There is more to Europe than the PIIGS. Actually, three of my colleagues are going to Florida / NYC this year. That must be good news for the American tourist industry, or what?

Are you coming to Europe this year - or do you need to save your precious two weeks for later?

I drove the PCH last August. It was nice but kind of overrated. I find the Norwegian Atlantic coast more spectacular.

Yes, we all know that Al Gore invented the Internet.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM

342 posts, read 1,926,704 times
Let's see... San Francisco, New York, Santa Fe, Seattle, Miami, Boston, Chicago, Asheville, Austin. Alaska, Hawaii, Big Sur, national parks galore, Montana, Colorado, Oregon, Utah.

Many of the greatest cities in the world and many of the most beautiful places in the world are in the US.

I get a nice laugh out of people who haven't traveled much and think it is cool to act like they are too good for the US.

Does the US have problems? Yes. Is the US boring? Absolutely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails View Post
You look at Europe and they got a great long history.

You look at East Asia and they got a proud culture

What is so special about USA. History? Nope Europes better and they
got tons more of it.

Much of USA is also sterile. Same neighborhoods, same Shopping malls. Even
some of the people act the same. Not my idea of culture or interesting country
for that matter.

If it wasn't for NYC and maybe Chicago, there'd be no reason for anyone to visit USA.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM

491 posts, read 1,651,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
As a Brit who lives in Paris (I have also spent time in Italy) I am European through and through. I've only been to the US once, and Canada once.

I cannot agree that the US is boring, nor lacking in history. There is 500 years of white history in the US – even longer if you count Amerindian history. Admittedly there isn't as much as in Europe but what there is is better preserved and cared for than over here. In the UK or Italy people think nothing of spraying a 500-year old church in graffiti, or letting ancient cottages go to rack and ruin. There are awful examples of post-war urban planning where a massive carpark or motorway has totally obliterated something historic. Although America does go a bit far in its obsession for preservation: I think Williamsburg, VA or Niagara-on-the-Lake in Ontario are so "perfect" they feel fake. The diversity is huge – there are so many minority/fringe cultures in the States (such as the Amish). If you turn on the TV here in France or in the UK there are tonnes of documentaries by European film crews about the US – recently French tv has shown stuff on gangs in LA, the decline of Detroit, etc – so the US continues to fascinate, even if its cultural clout seems to be waning.

I do admit the endless repetition of the same chain stores and fast food restaurants is depressing, but that is a process that is happening in the UK and to a lesser extent here in France also. It's just we don't have the space nor the cheap gas to replicate your suburbia over here (and thank God!)

But Europe has loads of depressing, anywhere towns where people lead dead-end, uninteresting lives. Americans on vacation and film crews obviously only go to the beautiful/interesting places (Florence, Rome, Paris, Bath, Oxford...), so I think they have a slightly distorted view that it's all glamour and history over here. And in places that suffered lots of damage in WW2 (UK, Netherlands, Germany) there's often little of the historic architecture that you Americans get so excited about. Google street view somewhere like Coventry, or Skelmerdale in the UK, and you'll get what I mean.
Great post! Could not have said it better.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 AM

191 posts, read 789,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
All Europeans? . There is more to Europe than the PIIGS. Actually, three of my colleagues are going to Florida / NYC this year. That must be good news for the American tourist industry, or what?

Are you coming to Europe this year - or do you need to save your precious two weeks for later?

I drove the PCH last August. It was nice but kind of overrated. I find the Norwegian Atlantic coast more spectacular.

Yes, we all know that Al Gore invented the Internet.
I believe it's spelled Internets (with an 's' according from that idiot, George W. Bush )

How about posting a link of the NAC? I'd like to see it and I may visit.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
I believe it's spelled Internets (with an 's' according from that idiot, George W. Bush )

How about posting a link of the NAC? I'd like to see it and I may visit.
I can't really argue with him - Norway's Atlantic coast is quite simply stunning, but so is the PNW coastline in Oregon and Washington. I would have a hard time picking which one is "best" as both are just stunning.

To say that the US is boring is **** though. There's pretty much every type of scenery in this country that anyone could desire. If you love nature and wilderness, this is a great country.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM

191 posts, read 789,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I can't really argue with him - Norway's Atlantic coast is quite simply stunning, but so is the PNW coastline in Oregon and Washington. I would have a hard time picking which one is "best" as both are just stunning.

To say that the US is boring is **** though. There's pretty much every type of scenery in this country that anyone could desire. If you love nature and wilderness, this is a great country.
The Oregon and Washington coastline (and Norway's Atlantic coast plus Paris) is another place that I need to see before I leave this planet. I lived in Portland, Oregon ...so different and beautiful. The thing about the US of A is that it's so diverse and that makes it difficult to classify as boring. There's a place for everyone since there's just so many choices.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
Quote:
The Oregon and Washington coastline (and Norway's Atlantic coast plus Paris) is another place that I need to see before I leave this planet. I lived in Portland, Oregon ...so different and beautiful. The thing about the US of A is that it's so diverse and that makes it difficult to classify as boring. There's a place for everyone since there's just so many choices.
This is true. I live in New England; there's a plethora of scenery here, from Cape Cod to Vermont & the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I could take a billion pictures, if my lifespan allowed for it.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:40 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Ok. I guess it is boring when people bathe, and there is indoor plumbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World