Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM

191 posts, read 790,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Because of the long history behind all those innovations nobody can really say where the stuff was invented. If country A had not come up with this or that step, country B or C would have. In recent history most innovations seem to have come from Germany, Britain, France or the US.

Especially in the past research was quite an international thing, often done by individuals, not like today by corporations. Many US researchers have come from Europe anyway, even former Nazi scientists after the war
Then why would those european researchers move to the U.S.? Are they bored in Europe?

Old 04-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
You are absolutely right. But that IS American culture...a melting pot of cultures. The US has always attracted some of the brightest minds from all over the world, and enabled them to reach their full potential here.

I completely agree with your opinion though.
I second that. The US is just so exciting and not boring.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,786,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
Then why would those european researchers move to the U.S.? Are they bored in Europe?
These days mostly because of money I suppose. And there is that odd feeling that living abroad is always sexier than at home. I can't even rule myself out there, why else would I live abroad...

Old 04-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
These days mostly because of money I suppose. And there is that odd feeling that living abroad is always sexier than at home. I can't even rule myself out there, why else would I live abroad...
Well said. Thanks for clearing that out.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,786,360 times
Quote:
Well said. Thanks for clearing that out.
Most immigrants move to the same hot spots anyway. NYC, L.A., Chicago, etc. Not what anyone would call boring places. But I suppose most Europeans would suffer in the rural Midwest for instance

Old 04-23-2012, 03:52 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,493,005 times
Quote:
When? Who?

And the first car was not invented by the Chinese. Besides, 1672... if that's what you call a car, then they had cars in the stone age. 4 stone wheels and a board.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM

771 posts, read 1,461,836 times
Quote:
And money is there because the US spends a lot of money in research and innovation.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
When? Who?

And the first car was not invented by the Chinese. Besides, 1672... if that's what you call a car, then they had cars in the stone age. 4 stone wheels and a board.
I believe you should be referring this question to Hesky.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM

347 posts, read 696,804 times
Well I know this will get American's panties in a bunch but I would say the US is culturally boring. The only place that really holds its own on a world stage is NYC, a truly fantastic world class city. And I have travelled a lot. Been to eveyr inhabited continent except Australia. Sure it has a diverse geography but the US is the kind of place where I'd expect to go to the Grand Canyon for eg and be taken on a simulator ride over the Canyon at the nearby Rockin' Canyon Center lol. Not saying such a ride or centre exists but my point is even the stunning geographical elements are commercialized, pre packaged neatly and thus bland. I'd rather go Colca Canyon in Peru for eg and have a natural Non prisitine commune with nature. With a heaping helpful of cultural depth.

Surely americans can't possibly think their country has it all?? No country does. America's greatest strength is its truly ingenius innovative people who are practically foaming at the mouth with patriotism. Few countries are so firmly convinced that their country is the greatest in the world without having seen much of the world.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
And money is there because the US spends a lot of money in research and innovation.
more $$$ = no boredom

no $$$ = boredom

Personally, if I had more $$$, I wouldn't be bored because I could use the $$$ to travel. So my definition of NOT being bored is enough $$$ (that's American greenbacks) to have enough freedom to do what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World