Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I remember watching an interview with the 2 Princes, Harry & William.
They're fascinating men....the reporter asked if they ever visit the U.S.
Harry, without thinking, said what for? There's nothing there...
Then he smiled & William tried to cover that comment,
by telling the reporter that they love the U.S. & its a wonderful country
I get what they're saying- I wish they would've let Harry continue instead of trying to be PC.
Anyways, I do agree.
The U.S. is definitely boring compared to Germany, England, Italy, etc.
I think they were joking. They both went last May to attend a friends wedding. I think they both have been a few times, at least Harry has.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
The US has beautiful natural scenery and some interesting cities, though they're spread across the entire expanse of the US. A lot of large US cities aren't that interesting though--they destroyed a lot of their history, built sprawling strip mall and cul-de-sac neighborhoods post-World War II, and lack a real lively pedestrian-oriented centers(like cities in Europe or Latin America or Asia).

The last twenty years there's been a lot of work to bring people back to the cores though, so cities are slowly improving. We don't have the history of Europe or dense, frantic feel of Asian cities or the mix of colonial history and energy that defines Latin American cities. The US gets excited about the fairly small well-preserved historical areas we do have like parts of Boston or New Orleans or Charleston--a place like New York is unique just for being so urban for the US. Small towns can range from charming to dying shells that are served mostly by massive Walmarts these days.

The US overall is closest to places like Canada and Australia, former British countries with a lot of land and some beautiful scenery--though many of the cities have been built up during a more modern autocentric time(and had room to grow). Cities were built for pragmatic periods of rapid growth and not necessarily evolved during times of grandeur--like imperial capitals in Europe or Asia.

I host a lot of foreign travelers at my home in Oregon, and most have a good time in the US, though they don't necessarily like every city as being that interesting. On the West Coast most enjoy Seattle, Portland, and LA, love San Francisco--and then the highlights are just the natural scenery and landscape. Many skip from the East Coast direct to the West Coast Some just have fun checking out the music scenes or what not. I think the US has a lot to offer though it's not going to be amazing just driving randomly across the country--you have to know where you're going. The desert Southwest can be fascinating, places like New Orleans can be amazing, there's nice beaches in Florida, great cities in the Northeast, the scenery of the West Coast--but what's in between the highlights can be a mixed bag. A place like Hawaii or Alaska can be amazing to explore on their own, but they're so far from the rest of the US and require a completely separate trip.

That's another thing about the US though--it's a huge country. People come here trying to see the whole thing, and they miss too much trying to drive long distances. It's not like England or Japan or France where you can get a decent sense of the country in two weeks. Plenty of US citizens have never visited other regions across the country(and never will). I traveled more extensively in foreign countries before I went back to just exploring places across the other side of the US much. How interesting a lot of places are can depend also on one's own personal interest in regional subcultures--a place like Memphis might be interesting to some music fans and boring to others.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
When I was growing up I was not allowed to be bored so I had to keep myself entertained. I've learned if someone is bored there's a good possibility they are boring. What does it feel like to be bored?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:30 AM

165 posts, read 189,548 times
I can't see America being listed as boring. We don't have the long history that Europe has so of course we are not going to have the older historical structures and ruins etc.., that they have. In that way we cannot even begin to compare.

As for all the other things, America pretty well has something for every taste as a lot of other countries do. It is not lacking in any way. Whatever kind of lifestyle you want, you can have here. The country is extremely diverse in what it offers. Someone may prefer a different country over America, and that is personal preference and is understandable, but you can in no way label a whole country as big and diverse as America is as boring. There are just way too many lifestyles and different areas to choose from for it to ever fall into that category.

I've been all over our country many times and I've been to quite a few other countries. Our country in no way falls short in places to live and things to do.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:52 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think they were joking. They both went last May to attend a friends wedding. I think they both have been a few times, at least Harry has.
I remember that the tabloids went crazy when pictures of Harry playing strip pool in Vegas surfaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World