Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:23 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails View Post
You look at Europe and they got a great long history.

You look at East Asia and they got a proud culture

What is so special about USA. History? Nope Europes better and they
got tons more of it.

Much of USA is also sterile. Same neighborhoods, same Shopping malls. Even
some of the people act the same. Not my idea of culture or interesting country
for that matter.

If it wasn't for NYC and maybe Chicago, there'd be no reason for anyone to visit USA.
There is some truth to this, but while the US may not be able to compete with Europe when it comes to history, it makes up for it in diversity of landscapes, climates and the sense of "space". I live in New England, where the towns and cities do not fit into your stereotype at all. Boston is as walkable as any city in Europe and many of the buildings are hundreds of years old.

I do miss Norman castles and Roman ruins though of my native country.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 AM

327 posts, read 644,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails View Post
You look at Europe and they got a great long history.

You look at East Asia and they got a proud culture

What is so special about USA. History? Nope Europes better and they
got tons more of it.

Much of USA is also sterile. Same neighborhoods, same Shopping malls. Even
some of the people act the same. Not my idea of culture or interesting country
for that matter.

If it wasn't for NYC and maybe Chicago, there'd be no reason for anyone to visit USA.
Whatever bro, Europe wouldn't even have a history anymore if America didn't come and save it's ass during WW2!

USA! USA! USA!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:21 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Whatever bro, Europe wouldn't even have a history anymore if America didn't come and save it's ass during WW2!

USA! USA! USA!
Oh really I thought a lot of countries fought the Nazi's during World War 2 and long before the Americans came in to the war in December 1941.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:

USA! USA! USA!
And the modern day USA wouldn't exist had it not been for Europe

Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 AM

459 posts, read 724,241 times
To be technical, many smaller countries WERE fighting before the US joined (along with major European powers like the UK and to a lesser extent, France). Europe would be much worse off if the US Army hadn't landed at Normandy...then again, the US wouldn't have concerned itself with the war until much later had the Japanese not attacked us.

EVERYONE: Face it...Europe and NA are the best continents! Woo! Northern Hemisphere Pride!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
And the modern day USA wouldn't exist had it not been for Europe
Yes if it wasn't for us Europeans, America would now be full of Mexicans and South Americans.

Oh hang on a minute..........

Old 04-22-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
Oh really I thought a lot of countries fought the Nazi's during World War 2 and long before the Americans came in to the war in December 1941.
That's not how I remember it in my Bible Belt highschool history classes, bro.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
That's not how I remember it in my Bible Belt highschool history classes, bro.
What didn't they teach you about the Battle of Britain or the nearly 25 million Russians who perished.

WW2 started for us Brits on the 3rd Spetember 1939, America didn't enter the war for another 2 years and 3 months on 8th December 1941.

Britain's RAF had already seen off the German Luftwaffe, and the Germans were aware that their navy was no match for the Royal Navy out at sea.

We had also survived sustained bombings of our cities.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
What didn't they teach you about the Battle of Britain or the nearly 25 million Russians who perished.

WW2 started for us Brits on the 3rd Spetember 1939, America didn't enter the war for another 2 years and 3 months on 8th December 1941.
And we'd done a pretty good job of keeping he Luftwaffe at bay during that time. Invading Britain would have been tough for Hitler, given the vast superiority of the Royal Navy and our friend, the English Channel.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 AM

Man, sarcasm is really hard to convey over the internets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.