Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times

Advertisements

What makes America boring is the impossibility of surprise. The USA is the most regimented police state in the world. (Well, except maybe Switzerland.) Take riding a bus, for example. Every tiny aspect of riding a bus is rigidly controlled, just as rigidly controlled by administrative regulations as the portion size at Burger King. Americans have become so hysterical about safety, for example, that everything you touch in a public place has to exactly meet hundreds of specifications that are imposed by administrative edict, right up to a plaque on a men's room door that says "men" in Braille, or the strip of tape on the floor that you have to stand behind while waiting to pick up your prescription at the drug store..

Take a test. Next time you are at a gas station look at the pump, and count now many different things there are on the pump that are mandated by some rule or law or regulation. Or go to a state park, or even a freeway rest area, and look at the board where the regulations have been posted. It will take at least ten minutes just to read all the regulations that are imposed on use of the park, and those are only the regulations related to the public access and use of the park, not even mentioning the ones about the maintenance and administration of the park.

Wanna see how much marketplace freedom there is in the USA? Paint the word "taxi" on the side of your car, and pull up at the curb in front of the airport terminal, and see how many laws, rules and regulatilns you have just broken.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Man, sarcasm is really hard to convey over the internets.
I got it mate...sarcasm duly noted

Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Agreed, the US is a bit boring and predictable. For excitement and living on the edge try Mogadishu.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
I just don't get it JTur!!

You really want people to do whatever they want to in state parks??

You really want unregulated taxis??? With no safety standards??

Unregulated gas pumps????

What's the difference between your "total freedom" ideal and third world countries where gangs and thugs take over for the government??

Would you like to live in Somalia- I hear they're pretty unregulated and pirates have free reign......

Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 AM

700 posts, read 638,459 times
Nothing to make this country more exciting than to have blind people play gender roulette at public restrooms. "Am I male or female today?...AHHHHH!!...oops sorry."

Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
Nothing to make this country more exciting than to have blind people play gender roulette at public restrooms. "Am I male or female today?...AHHHHH!!...oops sorry."
Uhmmm ... how does a blind guy actually get to the Public Rest room in the first place, if he truly is blind?
I still have pretty good vision, and I have a hard time to find public rest rooms anywhere .

(the following is NOT directed to *5trillion*)
Still think the USA is boring ... ?

If anybody thinks the USA is boring, as always, why even come here ? I *assume* that you come here for some reason and one of them may be that where *you* live, it is boring and so you try to find another place a bit more *exciting* than where *you are * ???

Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 AM

191 posts, read 789,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
The main problem are cars and suburban culture. Once Americans recuperate city cores and expel criminals from those areas, American cities will become walkable and nicer. People won't be a bunch of paranoic fatsos sheltered in suburban communities, forced to spend their lifes in a car or in a mall.

I agree. I lived in both suburbia and downtown cores, I prefer urban cores. Suburbia just nauseates me. I feel like I'm living in a fake lifeless neighborhood.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM

700 posts, read 638,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmm ... how does a blind guy actually get to the Public Rest room in the first place, if he truly is blind?
I still have pretty good vision, and I have a hard time to find public rest rooms anywhere .

(the following is NOT directed to *5trillion*)
Still think the USA is boring ... ?

If anybody thinks the USA is boring, as always, why even come here ? I *assume* that you come here for some reason and one of them may be that where *you* live, it is boring and so you try to find another place a bit more *exciting* than where *you are * ???
Take a taxi, walk, etc... Then for navigation while there, a white cane. I'm fairly certain blind people, ya know, go out to public places.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 AM

191 posts, read 789,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seattle did a great job of revitalizing its downtown core back in the 80's. It's now a very desirable place to live, very walkable, great public market. So it's definitely do-able.

Here's why cars rule over public transportation: auto industry lobby, highway lobby, petroleum industry lobby. They worked together in the 1950's to destroy public transportation in major cities around the country. And inter-state transport also was cut back tremendously. There's a documentary of this that plays on Public Television from time to time.

Corporations rule in America, to a much greater extent than in Europe, though that may be changing after the formation of the WTO. That's why positive change is so hard to achieve.
Yep, you are right there my friend! I saw that same documentary at PBS, public television. Othewise, the U.S. would have a miles and miles of high speed railways and bullet trains littered all over the US.

The U.S. capital of Car Culture, Los Angeles, California could have monorails all over if it weren't for those lobbies in the 50's. In fact, the same corporation that built the Seattle monorail offered to pay for ALL construction and materials of monorail tracks in LA. Furthermore, Angelinos would ride the miles of 'light rail' that littered the city of angels before the 50's.

And yes, I agree. Things are changing to dependence on public transport due to the high gas prices and stagnant wages in the 'not really' boring USA.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Americans are proud of their conformism and lack of imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World