Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 PM

3,295 posts, read 6,987,916 times

Advertisements

Do you think of the countries in the Western Hemisphere, Australia, New Zealand, plus the British Isles and Western Europe?

All of Europe? Historically, regions that have been part of Western Christendom (even if they are secular now)?

Developed countries with European or American influence?

What is your definition of the "Western" world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 04:56 AM

202 posts, read 565,297 times
Western Europe, the former Roman Empire.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 AM

649 posts, read 793,525 times
I don't know that it's mean "western world", perhaps this is the countries situated in western hemisphere...

Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 AM

22,139 posts, read 29,453,523 times
When someone mentions 'the West', I immediately think western Europe, including Scandinavia, the US and Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. I think 'the West' can also apply to eastern Europe, such as Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Estonia, which nowadays are considered developed democracies and are worlds apart from the likes of Belarus and Russia.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:11 AM

9,296 posts, read 14,188,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buahh View Post
Western Europe, the former Roman Empire.
In my view, absolutely not.

The Roman Empire was mostly the Mediterranean, and mostly central, eastern, and southern Mediterranean - the Mediterranean was the SUPERHIGHWAY of the day -, some of its most important regions begin modern-day Turkey, the Black Sea region, Syria, and Egypt that lasted for nearly a thousand years after the Germanic invasions of the western Empire. In my view, the successors of the Romans were to a greater extent the Islamic and later the Turkish and Russian Empires, and to a lesser extent the western Europeans (with the greatest exception perhaps being the legal framework, but then again English common law).

In my view, western civilization begins, basically, with Charlemagne, i.e. those Germanics especially who, though they may have emulated certain elements of Roman Empire institutions and culture, never lived under Roman Empire administration and, who, instead, took over the papacy in Rome around 754.

When I think of the roots of western civilization, then, I think of Charlemagne, not the Greeks and the Romans, and in the modern world I think of France, first, then Germany/Austria, plus of course the United Kingdom, but also Portugal/Spain, their domination of the seas starting around 1100, their domination of Italy starting around 1500, their offshoots in the Americas - the SUPERHIGHWAY of the modern world has been the Atlantic -, and eventually Australia/New Zealand. But I especially think of industrialization, the countries of early industrialization, France, UK and US, still the dominant military powers, a bit later Germany, Italy, (also Japan) etc.

If we conceive of the end of "western" civilization, the main reason, in my view, is the globalization of industrialization.

Last edited by bale002; 04-08-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 09:33 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
Countries that have a longish history of being dominated by Western religious and philosophical thought. The distinction between Eastern and Western originally related to the line between Christendom and the non-Christian "Eastern" faiths. That conformed pretty closely with the geographical definition of Europe, and the Americas and Australia hadn't been discovered yet. It has nothing to do with the Western Hemisphere, which would have been called the Eastern Hemisphere if the Chinese had discovered it. As it happened, the Americas were colonized by people who already embraced Western culture.

Nowadays, Western is more often used to mean "Western democracies" or "Western Economies", and, specifically to the OP's question, when I hear the word Western, I think first of what subject the speaker is talking about when he uses the word Western. Which, if you want to understand the conversation, is not a bad idea.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 AM

208 posts, read 704,226 times
The American Continent, Europe excluding Russia, South Africa and the Australia & NZ.
Basically those countries influenced by Christianity, Western Capitalism and whatever ****s..

Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 PM

9,786 posts, read 14,624,265 times
America (from Canada to Argentina), Western Europe (make a north-south line along the eastern border of Germany and stretch it to cover all the European latitudes; everything to the west of that line I consider Western Europe) , Australia and New Zealand.

There are islands of the West in the other places, but only in the places I mentioned does it extends through most of the territory.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM

290 posts, read 959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
America (from Canada to Argentina), Western Europe (make a north-south line along the eastern border of Germany and stretch it to cover all the European latitudes; everything to the west of that line I consider Western Europe) , Australia and New Zealand.

There are islands of the West in the other places, but only in the places I mentioned does it extends through most of the territory.
Your views on Europe are pretty unique. You're the only person I know who doesn't consider Sweden to be a part of the "western world".

Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 AM

10,649 posts, read 15,918,583 times
Canada
USA
Scandinavia
Ireland
UK
Benelux
Germany
France
Iberia
Switerland
Austria
Italy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World