Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2012, 01:56 PM
 
14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Reputation: 8949

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
America is a backward country anything that is,???? (I don't even know how to explain it), is called gay. Like if a man dresses really well, people call it gay.
Yep, Americans can be morons this way.

A conservative gray suit, a pale pink shirt, a maroon tie, and black dress shoes and belt, if all of quality brands, says "good taste" to me.

In some parts of this country, having more than an average amount of education would also be looked down on. You know: "college boy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2012, 02:46 PM
 
218 posts, read 506,700 times
Reputation: 323
Dressing well isn't gay, it's metrosexual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 03:02 PM
 
14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Reputation: 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Dressing well isn't gay, it's metrosexual.
I don't even think it's that. Metrosexual, I think, means trendy...and too invested in being trendy. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Dressing in a manner that is not going to go out of style is just common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
America is a backward country anything that is,???? (I don't even know how to explain it), is called gay. Like if a man dresses really well, people call it gay.
anything that a man does maybe slightly different is labeled as that.

Meanwhile women can do, look, say anything and no one blinks an eye...but if a man does anything, it is labeled

It is sickening that Americans do this.
It is the year 2012, and they still do this.
It is pathetic. As late as the 60s you could get beaten up for having long hair. What a bunch of intolerant, crog-magnum doofuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 02:58 AM
 
Location: 30-40°N 90-100°W
13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Reputation: 6790
Mentioning cigarettes there are several nations where smoking is still heavily male. I believe in Armenia it's very lopsided and looking it up it's very lopsided in China.

WHO | Gender empowerment and female-to-male smoking prevalence ratios

But in other countries it's essentially the same or, in the somewhat unique case of Norway and Sweden, women may smoke a bit more than men. Interestingly in nations with more "gender empowerment", according to that, women often smoke more in comparison to men. Trinidad and Tobago looks like an exception as women smoke much less than men, but the nation's Gender-Empowerment looks similar to the US or UK.

Clothing and hairstyle is an obvious gender difference by cultures. In some cultures silky things are seen as feminine, in others they're neutral or masculine. In some it's typical for men to wear their hair long, but in others that's seen as feminine. Purple I think is seen as a "feminine" color in some places, but in others it was just regal or imperial.

Then there are some "unusual" ones, at least for Americans. Doing paintings of naked men has often been seen as more a masculine thing than a feminine one. Among Christians that was a modesty/moral issue, but some cultures I think really felt women couldn't appreciate naked men in the right way. In Japan arranging flowers I believe was once more masculine than feminine. For several decades scientific societies insisted botany was "masculine" because women couldn't study herbs and flowers the way men could. For a long time the French, I believe, discouraged women from wine-tasting. (That one might have a certain logic, a woman could be pregnant, except that tasting isn't precisely the same as drinking) And I think there were American Indian tribes that discouraged women from playing the flute because it was an instrument of seduction. Now the flute is seen as feminine to many people.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 04-28-2012 at 03:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 05:50 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Mentioning cigarettes there are several nations where smoking is still heavily male. I believe in Armenia it's very lopsided and looking it up it's very lopsided in China.

WHO | Gender empowerment and female-to-male smoking prevalence ratios

But in other countries it's essentially the same or, in the somewhat unique case of Norway and Sweden, women may smoke a bit more than men. Interestingly in nations with more "gender empowerment", according to that, women often smoke more in comparison to men. Trinidad and Tobago looks like an exception as women smoke much less than men, but the nation's Gender-Empowerment looks similar to the US or UK.

Clothing and hairstyle is an obvious gender difference by cultures. In some cultures silky things are seen as feminine, in others they're neutral or masculine. In some it's typical for men to wear their hair long, but in others that's seen as feminine. Purple I think is seen as a "feminine" color in some places, but in others it was just regal or imperial.

Then there are some "unusual" ones, at least for Americans. Doing paintings of naked men has often been seen as more a masculine thing than a feminine one. Among Christians that was a modesty/moral issue, but some cultures I think really felt women couldn't appreciate naked men in the right way. In Japan arranging flowers I believe was once more masculine than feminine. For several decades scientific societies insisted botany was "masculine" because women couldn't study herbs and flowers the way men could. For a long time the French, I believe, discouraged women from wine-tasting. (That one might have a certain logic, a woman could be pregnant, except that tasting isn't precisely the same as drinking) And I think there were American Indian tribes that discouraged women from playing the flute because it was an instrument of seduction. Now the flute is seen as feminine to many people.
The lesson we can learn from this is what is 'masculine' and 'feminine' is totally reliant on the cultural norms and social conventions of the time and place and seldom reflects any innate biological tendencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Texas
44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Reputation: 73937
In many countries, men are expected to know how to cook. It's a manly thing to be a good cook.

Here...not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Texas
44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Reputation: 73937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The lesson we can learn from this is what is 'masculine' and 'feminine' is totally reliant on the cultural norms and social conventions of the time and place and seldom reflects any innate biological tendencies.
This is one of the best posts I have read in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
In many countries, men are expected to know how to cook. It's a manly thing to be a good cook.

Here...not so much.
Yet, kind of unfairly, while it was women doing most of the cooking those most celebrated for their cooking ability, the chefs of the great restaurants, were and still mostly are male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM
 
14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Reputation: 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is one of the best posts I have read in a long time.
Couldn't rep him again, so I'll have to say that Trimac makes a very incisive observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top