Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:53 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,843 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in how cultural attitudes differ around the world, often involving gender, and what is considered masculine in one culture is considered feminine in another.

One example I've read and heard discussed a lot is for example, the association with women and chocolate. In American culture, there is a strong association with only or mainly it being women who crave chocolate but not men, but this isn't the case in Spain, as surveys have found -- both men and women like it equally. As well, I've heard that in Japan, on Valentine's day, there is a culture of women buying chocolates for men, which is actually the opposite of the trend in American culture.

Another example could be that I've noticed and I'm sure others have too, in American culture (contemporary American culture that is, seeing how even a few decades ago it was a different story!), men singing and dancing skillfully in musicals in costume on film and theatre is considered now quite effeminate or even gay, but in India's culture and cinema it seems quite obviously considered attractive to many women!

What are some examples you have heard about or have seen/can think about where in one culture something is associated with men or women, but not in another culture, or even examples where the associations are in fact, reversed across different cultures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Clean legible handwriting in Italy = NOT gender-specific
Clean legible handwriting in USA = gender-specific

Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Men singing and dancing skillfully in costume is a very ancient European tradition, still popular in Eastern Europe. Women sing and dance in costume, too, but traditionally it's during those festivals that men and women use the occasion to search for a mate.

Chocolate--ask the Swiss! Chocolate knows no gender there! I'd say the same is probably true for Germany, too, just a guess.

Archery is both a men's and women's sport in Mongol culture. More popular with the men, but a woman who can hold her own in a competition is well-respected.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Chocolate--ask the Swiss! Chocolate knows no gender there! I'd say the same is probably true for Germany, too, just a guess.
Within the last 5 or so years, I've gleaned that chocolate is regarded as more of a woman's food. Is this correct, at least in this country?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,066 times
I've noticed that football (soccer) is considered a feminine sport in the US and Canada whereas it's very much a masculine sport in Europe, South America and Africa.

In Europe, men often wear tight-fitting clothes whereas in the US this is often considered feminine or "gay".

Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I've noticed that football (soccer) is considered a feminine sport in the US and Canada whereas it's very much a masculine sport in Europe, South America and Africa.

In Europe, men often wear tight-fitting clothes whereas in the US this is often considered feminine or "gay".
Robert: yes, chocolate is mostly marketed to women in the US

I might differ with you, Linda, on the men with tight-fitting clothes issue. Celebrity men used to wear tight clothes, and well-tailored clothes, for added sex-appeal. I haven't paid attention to what's the norm nowadays, for celebrities. Higher-paid businessmen also wear tailored, close-fitting suits. Many have their own personal tailors.

In the casual clothing dept., some men wear tight jeans, and close-fitting T-shirts. It's a matter of taste. That look isn't for everyone, just as women's tastes run the gamut.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Within the last 5 or so years, I've gleaned that chocolate is regarded as more of a woman's food. Is this correct, at least in this country?
With chocolate, it depends. When it comes to stuff like Butterfingers, Twix, or Milky Way, I see more men eat that kind of chocolate. As for women, I typically see more Ferrero Rocher, Ghiradelli, Lindt, and more of the fine chocolate.

Personally, I'm male, straight, and American, and I love fine chocolate such as Ghiradelli and Lindt.

There is something else I've noticed. In the USA, I've always seen yogurt portrayed as a food for women. It's quite ironic because yogurt is one of my favorite breakfast foods. I'm seeing more men eat yogurt, but generally, I've seen yogurt passed as a feminine food. Interestingly, I've meet people from places like Turkey, Greece, and other places around the Mediterranean. I've never heard of yogurt being seen as feminine in their cultures. In fact, the make of Chobani Greek Yogurt is a man from Turkey. In the USA, yogurt is often seen as feminine, where as, I've never heard that out of people from the Mediterranean regions. It's a common food over there.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
In the U.S. it is true that there is a stereotype of chocolate addiction among women, but the marketing is mostly gender neutral. At the very least, it is not considered unmanly for a man to be seen eating chocolate.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:54 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In the U.S. it is true that there is a stereotype of chocolate addiction among women, but the marketing is mostly gender neutral. At the very least, it is not considered unmanly for a man to be seen eating chocolate.
It often depends on which kind of chocolate. The "utilitarian"(for lack of a better term( chocolate, such as Milky Way and Butterfingers, is seen as more manly than finer chocolate, such as Ghiradelli and Lindt. It depends on which kind of chocolate it is. It's usually the expensive chocolate that is seen as more feminine.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
All dancing, especially while sober, is considered "feminine" in white Midwestern culture (black culture is quite different).

Pick-up trucks are considered masculine, but it's also socially acceptable for a female to own one. Hunting is an activity that is considered masculine as well but acceptable for females.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World