Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times

Advertisements

Vocational college, vocation school, technical school, vo-tech, career school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Is there a difference between a College and a University in the US?

I had a chance to go the Summer Institute on Comparative Politics and Economics (IPECS) in Washington, DC this year (was eligible for a scholarship) but I missed the final application deadline by one day

Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM

10,645 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That's not a correct translation. High school in English is like secondary school. Hoger beroepsonderwijs = higher professional education (in French they call it a "Haute Ecole"). I believe it's called "vocational University" in English.
So you never heard of the "Hoge School"?
Maybe it's a down the rivers thing because everyone i know calls it like that.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
So you never heard of the "Hoge School"?
Maybe it's a down the rivers thing because everyone i know calls it like that.
Of course, I've heard of Hogeschool (or Haute Ecole) but that doesn't translate as "high school" in English. High school is the equivalent of "middelbare school" (secondary school). The Hogeschool you are referring to is called Vocational University or University of Applied Sciences:

Vocational university - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ this link says: "As of January 29, 2008, a Dutch hogeschool (hbo) is called a university of applied sciences in English."

I live "down the rivers" too btw

Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Is there a difference between a College and a University in the US?

I had a chance to go the Summer Institute on Comparative Politics and Economics (IPECS) in Washington, DC this year (was eligible for a scholarship) but I missed the final application deadline by one day
In everyday usage, they are often synonymous. "I'm going to college" (whether at Harvard or Rutgers or the University of North Dakota) sounds far more normal than "I'm going to University". University sports is popularly known as collegiate sports.

However, if you want to be pedantic, there are differences.

Community colleges and schools devoted to vocational training call themselves "colleges", but rarely "universities" (although I can think of one in town - "Duluth Business University").

You can also have various "Colleges", devoted to one field of study, on a university campus. For example, the "Tristan C. Haper College of Business" or the "Brixton College of International Affairs" could be co-located and departments of the University of International Falls.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
There are notable differences between Australia and the US. We're closer to the British system but there are differences with them too. It also varies by state.

In Western Australia:

kindegarten is usually ages 3-4 (prior to that is daycare)

Pre-primary or pre-school is often integrated into primary school, and is ages 4-5

Most children here begin their first formal year of school education, called 'Year One' the year they turn 6 (in the East I've heard it called 'Grade 1', but that might just be American influence I'm not sure). A note on how children are divided into grades, when I was in school everyone born in the same year was in the same year or grade. This may have changed since. The school year also began around the start of February and lasted until December. The main summer holiday was 6 weeks with 3 2-week holidays throughout the rest of the year.

Primary school goes from year 1-7 with children graduating the year they turn 12.

High school is generally from ages 13-17, years 8-12. From year 10 students study more specialized subjects like History, Chemistry.etc (instead of Science or Social Studies).

Year 12 exams in WA are called 'TEE' (Tertiary Entrance Examinations) but there are different systems in different states.

After graduating from high school, students go straight either to University (called 'uni' here, never 'college' or 'school') and complete an Undergraduate Degree, Masters etc, a technical college (e.g. TAFE) some other kind of tertiary institution, an appreticeship or straight into work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World