Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You create your own problems. I doubt there are many places you can go to get away to a trouble free life. Have you considered a cabin in the Rocky Mountains ? I hear the Uni-Bombers old place is available very cheap.

I see you are from NJ. Head west.
Even though this is critical of me, there may be some perceptiveness in this. There may indeed be no where to hide and I am fooling myself. But I wonder if one could be happier in one place as opposed to another? That's the issue. Would I be less discontent in Japan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
What if the problems are too big for any one person to fix? It seems to me the culture here is just....unfixable. It's beyond repair. I've never liked it here. I've wasted far too much time trying to rationalize it. I've never understood it. Why not try to abandon it?
The reality is, everywhere you go, there you are

Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, we produce fake smiles just fine. That's not the problem.
What is the problem?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
But I wonder if one could be happier in one place as opposed to another?
IMO, you can. Suitable surroundings and lifestyle can make you a lot happier. As far as people go, though, I don't believe there is an ideal place. I’ve no idea why you idolize Japan… I would never want to live in a country that different…

Quote:
What is the problem?
I don't have time to write novels about what's wrong here...

Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The reality is, everywhere you go, there you are
Okay. That's a point. Yes, it conceivably can be a problem I'm carrying around with me and it only appears to be the culture. That's possible and I know some people like that who just love to make excuses, blame others and look for things outside themselves to complain about. Only trouble with that is, I'm typically not a complainer or troublemaker and usually will go out of my way to help others to maintain harmony. So I'm not going around trying to generate discontentment. What I'm trying to decipher is if a change in countries will help me find it easier to maintain a certain level of contentment. Yes, I can find inner contentment where I am, if I work hard at it. I understand the Buddhist perspective here of: Don't disturb the disturbance. But I am at a point where I've shown as much patience as I think my present culture is entitled to, as I am known by my family and friends as extremely patient, and think I have earned the right to explore options where I am not confronted by so much negative energy.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 04-24-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Where can I go where people are the least troublesome to one another?

My online research tells me Japan is a good match for me not only because of the low crime rate and reserved social norms as compared to other nations but also because of it's natural beauty, which is important to me.

However, I understand if you are not married to a Japanese national, you have to have a bachelor's degree to apply for citizenship (or is it permanent residency?). But I don't have a four year degree. I only have an associate's degree (two years).

I don't have any illusions about Japan. Yes, I know sometimes Gaijin's (foreigners) are isolated. That is acceptable to me and I even think I understand the Japanese rational for that. Still, I realize it's not perfect there. But it's not working for me here and I want to try something else. And, to be blunt, I don't want it to work for me here anymore.

But if I have to endure four years here through the stupid system I think I am going to lose it.

Not asking for help. I realize besides complying with one of the requirements to live in Japan, there's little else I can do. Just venting.
It is what it is. People have got to find the place where they fit in the best. I don't understand why people have a problem with this.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I’ve no idea why you idolize Japan… I would never want to live in a country that different…

I find it strange that, when it comes to your own country, idolization is not questioned. But if you express an affinity for another country that is somehow not understandable.

There is no mystery here and no blind idolization. The answer is very simple: Some countries simply reflect the values and beliefs of people better than other countries precisely because they are different. If nations weren't different, we wouldn't have favorites.

To say people are all the same everywhere is BS. If they were the crime stats would be the same, the health stats would be the same, the life expectancy would be the same, etc. Obviously, they're not.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,492 times
You might try Africa or Somalia if you don't like it here, surely there must be someplace where people would leave you alone. Iceland is another place that comes to mind, cost of living is probably cheap also if you like fish and things of that nature. In the meantime, re-read post #9, Rakin pretty much hit the nail on the head when he said 'you create your own problems'.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You might try Africa or Somalia
Pailin?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Mongolia, Greenland, Namibia?
If you are a millionaire you should go live in Japan for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World