Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:40 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida and we really do have some amazing insects here. I have seen a couple that I thought couldn't be real, they had to be one of those fake ones that were made for a floral arrangement.

But for those that bother me, of course we have mosquitos...they spray in public areas for them and most people have screens over their pools and screened in lanais...to protect against them.

We of course have **** roaches here and some that are disturbingly HUGE...again, you just put out some insect killer for them.

I put the flee and tick stuff on the pets and don't have a problem with that at all.

The frogs and lizards bother me more then the insects if truth be told...they are fine if they stay outside but the FREAK me out when they get in the house.

I use a granular insecticide that I get the lawn man to spread on the lawn, I also put boric acid in the garage. I am planning on putting moth balls down around the trash as I am told the smell is offensive to rodents...we have some nasty rats here that smell trash and come in the garage and then can find their way to your attic. I would like to avoid that if at all posible.

My daughter is visiting my birth Mother in Missouri and I was kind of horrified when she told me what summers were like there...you can't go walking anywhere without getting ticks on you...my daughter has never even seen a tick...then of course they have chiggers...haven't seen those since I was in Arkansas years and years ago.

Tell us about the beasties where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:16 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
I live in SW MO- mosquitos, ticks and chiggers are all a problem. Get into a nest of seed ticks and you may have hundreds of the little buggers on you! But I think the worst is the itch mite, which we have just seen in the last couple of years. You can avoid ticks and chiggers by staying out of tall grass or weedy areas. Mosquitos you can hear coming. Itch mites strike anywhere, even on concrete. They are too small to see, so you don't know you've been bitten until you get a chigger-like maddeningly itchy welt. Floral scented OFF has become my best friend in the backyard!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 AM

8 posts, read 99,567 times
Hi,

I'm in Greece where heat and humidity contribute to mosquitoes thriving. We also have a smaller type of mosquito they call "Snipa", much much smaller, you can barely see them and their bite itches 10 times more than that of a mosquito.

Of course we have screens on doors and windoes but snipas are so small they manage to get thru. I welcome geckos (sp?) in my house, but plug-in devices work best.

We also have these weird looking wasps, they're longer and thinner than the usual ones, and almost completely black, nasty looking buggers.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 AM

896 posts, read 1,864,423 times
I live in Ireland. Earwigs are the creepy crawlies that I hate here.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
We have everything here in Texas! The infestation of the week starts early spring and keeps going. I live in a drier and higher clime (Panhandle), but this week it's the "gnats".....

Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
With 4 inches of rain here a year, what would you expect!!! Some spiders. Scorpions, which seem to mostly bother people in the newly developed areas of the city. No snake problems I've heard of. Mosquito's, gnats, woodticks, and even flies, would largely starve to death here!

Had a couple flies wander into my house last summer, and since I see so few of them here, you almost want to adopt them as pets. And such dumb flies, the dumbest flies I've ever run into, so easy to kill!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Here in MI, we deal with mosquitos, ticks, and horrible big black flies. The flies bother me more than anything, impossible to kill and they seem to like to purposely aggravate you.

No way could I live in FL or anywhere else in the south. Roaches freak me out more than anything. I know they're everywhere but I've seen some truly mammoth ones down there.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:38 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Midges. A lot of them.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
a couple flies in the spring and fall, a lot of them in the summer plus a couple wasps, bees and mosquitos.

in Thailand i almost went crazy in the 1st week i was there because of the bugs, many mosquitos and i also saw a couple beetles and cockroaches and some other insects i could not identify.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:12 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Spiders.

Seattle has so much dense vegetation and no killing winter weather. By August after a good start and the growing season, spiders are in everything everywhere. Inside outside, spiders and more spiders.

I hate most bugs. But I really detest creepy crawly spiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World