U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 PM

7,652 posts, read 17,125,384 times

Advertisements

How do people greet one another in your country/culture/city/subdivision?

The standard American way of greeting is a firm handshake.

Males, whether they are best friends or have never seen each other, never kiss, and their hugs are limited to "bro hugs", which are given ironically.

Women almost never kiss and rarely hug, unless they know one another well or are consoling another in pain.

Men and women who know each other well may hug, but never kiss. As a first greeting, even a chaste hug would be awkward.

==

In Mexico, I lived with my friends' families and met many new people. I went unsure of the greeting customs, but it appears that a man should give a woman a peck one cheek (or maybe the other way around?) when meeting her or saying goodbye. However, do not try this with another man, especially one that you do not know or one that you suspect may be involved in the drug trade.

Spain appears to be the same way, although maybe the women initiate it there. The owner of my hotel gave me two kisses on the cheek when I left.

In Morocco, I received, with a bashful face, a peck on the cheek from my new male friend.

Are there any countries where people kiss on the lips by custom?

Last edited by tvdxer; 04-24-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 PM

353 posts, read 926,904 times
My country kisses people on the lips and gives crotch shakes by custom.
Though I've been trying to get my country recognized by the United Nations for the longest time.

Anyways, in US, where I'm located; sometimes hugs between men/women are acceptable not awkward, but generally handshakes are preferred. In France, I see people peck both cheeks as a greeting and in Canada, I see fist bumps as a greeting.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM

4,855 posts, read 9,745,341 times
In Quebec, even among the English speaking population of which I am a member, it is also customary to give an air kiss on both cheeks when greeting, but only between men and women and only if they've met each other before. Bro hugs are a common thing to do when parting ways with members of either gender, although this is a bit informal. If it was a business meeting or something it'd be all about the hand shakes. I've been to Holland and there they give three cheek kisses instead of two.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM

51,551 posts, read 73,121,977 times
Poland:
Adult males and teenagers usually greet each other with a handshake. Close friends greet by kissing the
right, left, and then right cheeks. At social and business gatherings, Poles greet each guest personally,
women first. It is considered exceptionally courteous to kiss a woman’s hand as a way of greeting.
This practice is particularly popular among the older generation.
When introducing a man, one uses Pan (Mr.) before the last name; for a woman, the term is Pani (Mrs.).
Between adults, first names are used only by mutual consent. Poles are generally old-fashioned about gender etiquette.
Friends greet each other with "Cześć", a way of saying “Hi.”

Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 PM

24,682 posts, read 52,219,436 times
Here it's not uncommon for even strangers to kiss each other on the cheek - a man and woman or two women, although it seems to vary on the situation, and there isn't any real consistent pattern. It's definitely a lot less common than for friends. Also it depends on you cultural background: Italians, Greeks, Croats, much more like to do so, English, Scottish, German.etc less so.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 AM

273 posts, read 839,927 times
Greeting customs over here (Flanders, Belgium)
the formal meeting...
Formal greeting: Male-male: Handshake
Formal greeting: Male-male: On special occasions: Handshake
Birthdays, promotion, childbirth, wedding...

Formal greeting: Male-Female: Handshake or kiss
Formal greeting: Male-Female: On special occasions: 3 kisses

Formal meeting: Female-female: 3 kisses
Formal meeting: Female-female: On special occasions: 3 kisses

the informal meeting...
Informal greeting: Male-male: Saying hi or kiss or handshake
Informal greeting: Male-male: On special occasions: Handshake or 3 kisses

Informal greeting: Male-female: 1 kiss
Informal greeting: Male-female: On special occasions: 3 kisses

Informal greeting: Female-female: 1 kiss
Informal greeting: Female-female: 3 kisses
----------------------------------------------
We kiss strangers but hugging is not an "official way" to greet eachother.
And if you really want to hug, I can hug you

Last edited by 2360039; 04-25-2012 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: language

Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 AM

25,588 posts, read 33,507,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
In Quebec, even among the English speaking population of which I am a member, it is also customary to give an air kiss on both cheeks when greeting, but only between men and women and only if they've met each other before.
Kissing on both cheeks is also customary between two females in Quebec.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,602,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
and in Canada, I see fist bumps as a greeting.
Fist bumps are a Canadian thing? Really???

Well I know young people do it in general, and it was a common thing when I was in high school. Actually even come to think about it I kind of still did it recently (in my mid 20s, greeting another 20-something year old), I but I never gave much thought about it. I thought it was just youth culture.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,798,531 times
I live in Portugal.

Women often give each other "air kisses" on each cheek, and will do the same with a man whom they know well.

Men sometimes give each other an abraço/"hug" if they are relatives or friends; in other situations where the men are not such close friends they will extend a hand for a handshake, but at the same time put the other hand on your shoulder. With foreigners especially greetings are usually limited to handshakes with the men standing a couple of feet apart.

Resident Germans that I know have all adopted the same customs, whereas only some English women have, the men not at all.

I have had innumerable Portuguese tell me that Brits, Americans, etc. are "cold."

Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM

25,290 posts, read 22,746,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I live in Portugal.

Women often give each other "air kisses" on each cheek, and will do the same with a man whom they know well.

Men sometimes give each other an abraço/"hug" if they are relatives or friends; in other situations where the men are not such close friends they will extend a hand for a handshake, but at the same time put the other hand on your shoulder. With foreigners especially greetings are usually limited to handshakes with the men standing a couple of feet apart.

Resident Germans that I know have all adopted the same customs, whereas only some English women have, the men not at all.

I have had innumerable Portuguese tell me that Brits, Americans, etc. are "cold."
In Brazil it is similar, and often times they have already verbalized the whole thing. They just say beijo or abraço, not only on the phone, but even when the other person is in the same room.

I guess I am considered cold, too, I never liked physical contact and usually behave accordingly. I need that yard between me and others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World