Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country?
Australia 4 2.00%
Belgium 2 1.00%
Canada 42 21.00%
Denmark 3 1.50%
France 13 6.50%
Germany 10 5.00%
The Netherlands 36 18.00%
New Zealand 5 2.50%
Sweden 16 8.00%
Switzerland 5 2.50%
United Kingdom 13 6.50%
United States 51 25.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM

252 posts, read 735,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I actually think it's this country(USA).

Honestly. Which other country has seen the integration and personal success of so many different people from so many different backgrounds and cultures and beliefs?
hmmmm...let me think....Canada maybe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 15,671 times
Isn't there a wide portion of the US which is quite racist? To this day, isn't it true that even the most liberal regions frequently have separate neighborhoods for blacks and whites? I mean, I know it's not something enforced; rather, an expression of segregation.

To be honest, racial issues still exist pretty much everywhere, unfortunately. But I don't see the US as a bastion of tolerance in that regard. I know several Brazilians who've had (non-violent) trouble in America; but I know none who moved to Europe and felt it over there, even in countries not included in the list (Portugal, Italy).

I don't see the US as a particularly tolerant country at all. Some places are quite all right, but when 44 states ban same-sex marriage while other countries do not, it seems quite obvious to be they can't be seen as the most tolerant in the world.

I'd say US is, on average across its heterogenous states, on par with western Europe as far as racism goes. Taking homosexuality into account, though, Europe wins by a landslide.

Also, I see some people mentioning that dutch are "too blunt". What the hell does that have to do with tolerance? One can be tolerant and still be a dick anyway.

I voted for Sweden, but could have been Norway, Belgium, The Netherlands, UK, or Canada.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i suspect most of the arabs and people of middle east origin who moved to canada achieved some skills criteria , europe has tended to be a haven for people who are relativley unskilled and also more traditional and religous

Muslims/Arabs in North America have nothing to do with Muslims in Europe. First place, more than 80 percent of all Arabs in North America are Christian and professionals.

Most Muslims in the US are professionals (Iran, Pakistan, Turks etc).

There are no Morrocans from the Rif, no Turks from Capadocia, etc.

For example, there is a large Muslim community in Detroit and they are well respected.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang-Drax View Post
Isn't there a wide portion of the US which is quite racist? To this day, isn't it true that even the most liberal regions frequently have separate neighborhoods for blacks and whites? I mean, I know it's not something enforced; rather, an expression of segregation.

No.

To be honest, racial issues still exist pretty much everywhere, unfortunately. But I don't see the US as a bastion of tolerance in that regard. I know several Brazilians who've had (non-violent) trouble in America; but I know none who moved to Europe and felt it over there, even in countries not included in the list (Portugal, Italy).

Maybe they came here illegally. From what I remember, half of Brazilian immigrants here do not have any papers..

I don't see the US as a particularly tolerant country at all. Some places are quite all right, but when 44 states ban same-sex marriage while other countries do not, it seems quite obvious to be they can't be seen as the most tolerant in the world.

If this was true for the U.S., the Brazil would be a hell hole.

I'd say US is, on average across its heterogenous states, on par with western Europe as far as racism goes. Taking homosexuality into account, though, Europe wins by a landslide.

Like I said above... it would be worse in Brazil.
There

Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang-Drax View Post

Also, I see some people mentioning that dutch are "too blunt". What the hell does that have to do with tolerance? One can be tolerant and still be a dick anyway.

I voted for Sweden, but could have been Norway, Belgium, The Netherlands, UK, or Canada.

you can be tollerant of various abstract ideas and lifestyles while still being incredibly intollerant in person , people like that are not really tollerant in a practical sense

nowadays if you align yourself with various pc liberal causes and lifestyles , you get branded as tollerant , tollerance could mean something else in a hundred years

was watching a tv show the other night and legendary arch feminist germaine greer was a guest , she would consider herself ubber tollerant but in person is not at all pleasant , nice or tollerant , anyone who is overbearing and beats people over the head with thier ideas is intollerant in my book , i dont care if thier sweedish or from alabama

Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 15,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Maybe they came here illegally. From what I remember, half of Brazilian immigrants here do not have any papers..
Whenever I meet a foreigner in here, I ask if he/she is legal; if not, I won't befriend him/her . I'm sorry, prejudice comes before the knowledge of the immigration status.

Anyway, none of the immigrants I'm talking about were illegal. But even if that assumption was true, the people I know who moved to Europe should be in likely circunstances, right? After all, it would make sense that all my acquaintances who are inclined to crime go to US. So, how come those in Europe have no trouble making friends with locals? I can even single out the countries I'm talking about: Italy, France, England, Denmark, Portugal, Sweden. Not a single one of these people I know have had any complains; some are actually close friends or relatives of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
If this was true for the U.S., the Brazil would be a hell hole.
(...)
Like I said above... it would be worse in Brazil.
Of course it's better in US than in Brazil (although we could dispute on the racial issue). I'm not blinded by patriotism to state my country is the most tolerant evah. I wouldn't say it's the most tolerant even in Latin America; let alone in the whole freaking world... I'm specifically comparing US to western Europe.

Quote:
you can be tollerant of various abstract ideas and lifestyles while still being incredibly intollerant in person , people like that are not really tollerant in a practical sense
That might be true. There was an american TV Show called "What Would You Do?" regarding homophobia, and a tiny city in Texas displayed a better solidarity in favor of a gay couple who was being harassed by a waitress than in some huge, supposedly liberal city. Of course, that's hardly representative of an entire state, but yes, sometimes surprises may occur.

But Europe not only has more tolerant laws; I know quite a few people who claim they weren't accepted by Americans in their social circles. Curiously enough, some of these have befriended Europeans who live in US. I do think it says a lot about tolerance when sided with the country's legislation.

Last edited by Sang-Drax; 05-02-2012 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
its ( netherlands ) intollerant in its own way , people are frank to an overbearing degree

the usa has it fair share of obnoxious a - holes but the thing i like about the usa is that it treasures a persons right to be an a - hole , it doesnt try and change people , europe is full of do gooders who see it as thier duty to re - educate others
Boy, do I disagree with your view of the US.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Boy, do I disagree with your view of the US.
difference of opinion is good

Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM

244 posts, read 592,784 times
i think ultimately any perception of a societies tolerance can be questioned and argued...but when it comes down to it i do agree that The NL is the world leader in the core meaning of tolerance. There are stark contrasts to that of course, like with geert wilders...but The NL is almost tolerant of the non-tolerant...hence why geert at least makes a presence and has a voice. I personally have never been anywhere else where the society truly turns a blind eye to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, class, creed, tribe, species etc in regards to a persons worth and right. It's to the point in the NL where a group of mixed people doesn't even need to worry about political correctness amongst eachother in conversation bc everyone shares the same common understanding, and there is little fear of offending or being offended. True integration...they keep that sh** real in the NL.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:00 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Quote:
england is very tollerant , wales is ok too but scotland and scots are an intollerant bunch , always have been , forget about blacks or asians , they havent got past hating catholics yet
England home of the EDL, BNP, race riots, segregated communities by race, the invention of the word P^ki, eastern european "come here, take our jobs" rants. Lol very tolerant, and please I don't think an Irishman is one to tell us Scots about religious hatred or bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World