U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 AM

24,682 posts, read 49,084,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Istanbul is technically in Asia...
it's technically in Europe too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,774,452 times
Quote:
it's in both parts: there's a European Istanbul (the city's centre) and an Asian Istanbul. The Bosporus cuts the city in two.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,558,068 times
Quote:
What do you mean, "technically"? What is the "technical" border between Europe and Asia? Between North America and South America? Between Asia and Africa?

A Continent is a land mass, separated from each other by water. Istanbul is on the Europe side of the water, known as the Bosporus, which is crossed by a bridge from Istanbul into Asia. Before the bride was built, there was nothing urban on the eastern side of the Bosporus, except a village that depended on the ferry landing. The urban area of Istanbul expanded just in the past couple of decades across the bridge and into Asia.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 AM

86 posts, read 246,031 times
Istanbul is really awesome...

Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 AM

218 posts, read 625,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
Best Destinations in the World - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor

1 London, United Kingdom
2 New York City, USA
3 Rome, Italy
4 Paris, France
5 San Francisco, USA
6 Marrakech, Morocco
7 Istanbul, Turkey
8 Barcelona, Spain
9 Siem Reap, Cambodia
10 Berlin, Germany
I don't really trust online polls. Altho, all those 10 are lovely destinations. Cambodia is being featured in alot of travel blogs and sites as the newest or top Asian destination. So I'm not surprised.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 AM

24,682 posts, read 49,084,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk19 View Post
Istanbul is really awesome...
Possibly one of the most fascinating cities on earth IMO.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:59 AM

707 posts, read 608,633 times
Venice and Hong Kong should be on that list...IMHO

Old 07-21-2012, 01:14 AM

6,395 posts, read 11,736,373 times
A lot of this can be subjective and can vary based on an individual’s preferences for what they want to see and experience the most in places.

It can still be good to at least attempt to quantify and measure that, including with saying some specific locations.

That website link: Best Destinations in the World - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor could have done better for the locations they selected for the top 25 destinations in the world.

I don’t agree with New Orleans, Dublin, Marrakesh, Istanbul, Las Vegas, Chiang Mai, and Cape Town (7 out of 25 total) qualifying for the top 25.

The 7 places that should have been included and replace them are Hong Kong, Bangkok, Taipei, Amsterdam, Brussels, Copenhagen, and Vancouver.

I do agree with 18 out of 25 in that website link, but I would have the ranks and order for them change a bit such as having Chicago/Shanghai higher on the list, and Barcelona/San Francisco/Beijing/Berlin/Florence lower on the list.

It would be better if there was three different categories for what they selected such as the first category being for big cities with 500,000+people, second category with medium/small sized cities with less than 500,000 people, and the third category with nature scenery areas.

In a separate post below this one, I will say what I view as the top 25 destinations in the world for all of those 3 categories.

It is also fascinating to see what other people’s views are and their selections for that.

We don’t have to depend on those specific ranks in that website link and can come up with our own lists for that!

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-21-2012 at 01:40 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 01:33 AM

321 posts, read 556,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm surprised Siem Reap is the highest rated Asian destination. I would give that medal to Hong Kong.
Haha, I was expecting Tokyo. A lot of non-Asians I know who are interested in Asian culture seem to be obsessed with Japan!

But in all honesty, I'm surprised a Cambodian city made it on the list at all. I'm partially Cambodian and whenever I tell someone my parents were born in Cambodia, they give me a bewildered look that seems to say, "Where the hell is that?"

One guy thought Cambodia was near India once. Lmao.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:58 AM

45 posts, read 88,146 times
Quote:
only half of the city is in Asia ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World