U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:20 AM

20,956 posts, read 22,249,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
Best Destinations in the World - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor

1 London, United Kingdom
2 New York City, USA
3 Rome, Italy
4 Paris, France
5 San Francisco, USA
6 Marrakech, Morocco
7 Istanbul, Turkey
8 Barcelona, Spain
9 Siem Reap, Cambodia
10 Berlin, Germany
There's no way that San Francisco can be the #5 highest rated travel destination.

We must live in a pretty boring world if that were the case.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:48 PM

45 posts, read 88,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There's no way that San Francisco can be the #5 highest rated travel destination.

We must live in a pretty boring world if that were the case.
Are you joking? I know nobody around me (in my friends circle) who didn't like SFO! And for me it also belongs to the nicest cities for visitting.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:57 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,849,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro007 View Post
Are you joking? I know nobody around me (in my friends circle) who didn't like SFO! And for me it also belongs to the nicest cities for visitting.
Eh, SF is awesome, but I think #5 might be a little too high. There are simply more dynamic and more interesting cities than SF around the world. NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Barcelona, Rome just to name a few.....

Old 07-23-2012, 03:04 PM

218 posts, read 625,969 times
I think SF is one of the most beautiful cosmopolitans in the US. It has a character of it's own. It's like a city outside California. When people think of Cali, most think of the SoCal, Hollywood and surfing and whatever cliches.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 PM

286 posts, read 1,349,799 times
SF and Marrakech above Barcelona and Istanbul

really ?????

Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 PM

959 posts, read 1,841,461 times
Heck yeah, San Francisco!!! One of the greatest cities on this planet.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 AM

6,396 posts, read 11,759,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
A lot of this can be subjective and can vary based on an individual’s preferences for what they want to see and experience the most in places.

It can still be good to at least attempt to quantify and measure that, including with saying some specific locations.

That website link: Best Destinations in the World - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor could have done better for the locations they selected for the top 25 destinations in the world.

I don’t agree with New Orleans, Dublin, Marrakesh, Istanbul, Las Vegas, Chiang Mai, and Cape Town (7 out of 25 total) qualifying for the top 25.

The 7 places that should have been included and replace them are Hong Kong, Bangkok, Taipei, Amsterdam, Brussels, Copenhagen, and Vancouver.

I do agree with 18 out of 25 in that website link, but I would have the ranks and order for them change a bit such as having Chicago/Shanghai higher on the list, and Barcelona/San Francisco/Beijing/Berlin/Florence lower on the list.

It would be better if there was three different categories for what they selected such as the first category being for big cities with 600,000+people, second category with medium/small sized cities with less than 600,000 people, and the third category with nature scenery areas.

In a separate post below this one, I will say what I view as the top 25 destinations in the world for all of those 3 categories.

It is also fascinating to see what other people’s views are and their selections for that.

We don’t have to depend on those specific ranks in that website link and can come up with our own lists for that!
What I view as the top 25 destinations in the world for those 3 categories.

Category 1: Big cities with more than 600,000 people:

1. Paris
2. London
3. New York City
4. Hong Kong
5. Shanghai
6. Bangkok
7. Tokyo
8. Amsterdam
9. Brussels
10. Copenhagen
11. Rome
12. Berlin
13. Prague
14. Vienna
15. Chicago
16. Seattle
17. Vancouver
18. San Francisco
19. Montreal
20. Taipei
21. Seoul
22. Singapore
23. Barcelona
24. Melbourne
25. Stockholm

Category 2: Medium/small sized cities with less than 600,000 people:

1. Lyon
2. Zurich
3. Geneva
4. Nice
5. Brighton
6. Phuket
7. Batumi
8. Genoa
9. San Sebastian
10. Tel Aviv
11. Venice
12. Leipzig
13. Salzburg
14. Bergen
15. Antwerp
16. Toulouse
17. Lhasa
18. Jiufen
19. Shimla
20. Hoi An
21. Nagano
22. Boulder
23. Eureka
24. Reykjavik
25. Ljubljana

Category 3: Nature scenery areas

1. Alps mountain range in Switzerland/France/Italy/Austria such as Ecrins National Park and Swiss National Park.

2. Himalayas in India/China/Nepal/Bhutan such as Great Himalayan National Park and Jigme Dorji National Park.

3. Cascades mountain range in Washington state and Oregon USA/British Columbia Canada such as North Cascades National Park, Garibaldi Provincial park, and Mount Hood national park

4. Issyk Kul Biosphere reserve/Pamirs/Tian Shans in Kyrgyzstan/Western China/Southern Kazakhstan

5. Thai beaches in the Phuket area.

6. Hawaiian beaches such as Na’ Pali coast state park, and Moloka’i Forest Reserve.

7. Tahiti and Bora Bora French Polynesia.

8. Canadian and USA Rockies in Alberta Canada/Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming USA such as Banff National Park, Yellowstone National Park, and Rocky Mountains National Park.

9. Sierra Nevada mountain range in California such as Yosemite National Park.

10. Mediterranean coastline of Southeast France, such as Calanques and island of Corsica.

11. Olympic mountain range such as Mount Olympus and Hoh temperate rainforest in Washington state USA.

12. New Zealand South Island Alps such as Mount Aspiring National Park.

13. Caucasus mountain range in Georgia/Southwestern Russia/and Azerbaijan.

14. Japanese Alps near Nagano.

15. Coastal California such as Big Sur, and Redwood National Park.

16. Taiwan’s Yushan Range such as Yushan National Park, and Taiwan’s beaches such as Suao Hualien.

17. Southern/Southeastern Alaska such as Kenai Fjords national park and Glacier Bay National Preserve.

18. Andes in Chile/Argentina/Peru/Ecuador such as Parque Rio Olivares and Los llinizas ecological reserve.

19. Beaches in Fiji.

20. The part of China in the Guilin area.

21. Beaches in Vietnam such as Ha Long Bay and Doc Let. Also some of the nearby highlands.

22. Desert Southwest in Arizona such as Grand Canyon National Park.

23. Brazilian beaches.

24 Coastal and mountainous areas of Iceland such as Vatnajokull National Park.

25. Pyrenees in Southwestern France/Northern Spain.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-24-2012 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 AM

6,396 posts, read 11,759,210 times
Also, there is lots of other worthwhile, intellectually stimulating, fun, and inspiring places to visit outside of what may be ranked in the “Top 25 Destinations in the World.” That is not something to forget about.

However, I am glad I wrote a specific list above this post for what I view as the Top 25 destinations in the world for 3 various categories.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:11 AM

541 posts, read 1,346,552 times
@ The present and the future

Why do you always rank and compare places where you probably haven't been yet?
I can only speak for places I've already been to.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 AM

8,024 posts, read 10,705,159 times
1. London
2. Rome
3. Rio
4. Edinburgh
5. New York
6. Barcelona
7. Paris
8. Sydney
9. Buenos Aires
10. Tokyo
11. Madrid
12. St Petersburg
13. Toronto
14. Santiago
15. Seoul
16. Istanbul
17. Cape Town
18. Cairo
19. Sao Paulo
20. Glasgow
21. Chicago
22. Venice
23. Porto Alegre
24. Melbourne
25. Athens

These are the cities I like and would like to visit the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World