Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most people only know about astrology from the horoscope columns they read in newspapers and magazines. But, those forecasts are for entertainment purposes only and not taken seriously. They are most likely located in the entertainment section together with crosswords, fun facts, gossips etc.
People read their horoscope just for fun or out of curiosity. They feel great whenever they read something good about their horoscope signs. The forecast is always vague and general, but some people can still derive meaning from it by applying it to a particular situation.
I never read a horoscope that would say: today you will get sick and die, or: your husband is cheating on you, or: this week your boss will fire you....
No. I was referring to television. They're going on giving the weather, some local news, sports, the horoscope for the day...and then back to the economy and current events. I thought this was weird for the world's historically most Catholic country. The reality is that Europe has become extremely secular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No. I was referring to television. They're going on giving the weather, some local news, sports, the horoscope for the day...and then back to the economy and current events. I thought this was weird for the world's historically most Catholic country. The reality is that Europe has become extremely secular.
A lot of Christians actually believe in horoscopes/astrology too.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What I've seen is that a lot of people, both in America and Europe, know some basic characteristics of their signs, but take it laughingly, and certainly don't believe in it as a way of prognosticating anything in their lives.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Of course! Just compare horoscopes in several newspapers. Each say something different. Many of them have a general statement that will, most likely, apply to anyone's individual situation. Nearly all daily newspaper horoscopes are not carefully constructed, or are in fact generated randomly.
There are more then 7 billion people on this planet. Population is increasing 2 people per second. Would you really believe that all people born in the same month, week or a minute have same personalities or destiny? It is illogical to expect one-twelfth of the population to experience the same tendencies at any one time.

I do believe in professional astrology reading, but not in a random generated fun readings printed in newspapers, or gossip magazines.
Hundreds of years of recorded astrological observations have shown that certain traits are more prominent in the personality and temperament of those born in one sign than in another. An experienced astrologer can tell many things about character, potential, strengths and weaknesses, and taking those facts as a base, the astrologer can also tell with a high degree of accuracy many things about someones life.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Being that Astrology can be so alienating to so many people, this one can be a hard one to measure. Any number of employers, Government officials, the police departments, the FBI, CIA, Hollywood directors, women/men looking for a spouse could be making widespread use of astrology, but to admit to it might just spook out the general populace. IMO, best left secretive!

If you think Nancy Reagan was the only one in the White House who made widespread use of it, she's the only one that "got caught at"! In Don Regan's bio, as White House Chief of Staff, Nancy would give him a long-range calendar of the good days/bad days for planning meetings, events, travel, foretold by her astrologer.

My roommates haven't a clue why they were picked to live with me, but I wouldn't have it any other way. As it is, the 3 of us are like 3 peas in a pod!

As for employers, how would you know if your potential employer wasn't sneaking behind your back, using that birthdate you supplied on your application, to get a rough draft of you? No birth time, no problem!

And the police, detectives, FBI, CIA, think of all the info they could glean from a birthdate? Mars in a Fire Sign? "Well, at least we know he's got a hot quick temper!"

Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yet in the Bible mentions horoscopes/astrology as evil.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I think being able to laugh at it, or make a joke of it, is ok. I think believing in it would be considering sorcery by the Bible.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
Burma.

What do you think has run the military dictatorship for the past 4-5 decades?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
There are more positive references to astrology in the bible than there are negative ones.
'god said' and let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night and let them be for signs and for season and for days, and years.

And the Magi- were astrologers.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I grew in the U.S. but in a town with many Sicilian immigrants and I went to school with their kids. And I went to church with them, and to Christian Doctrine classes.

And, on the basis of that experience, I am not surprised by what you say. Belief in the Evil Eye....I've forgotten, what is it, malocchio?, and the like was very common among these Sicilian-Americans....so why not horoscopes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World