Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 5,525 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me how to start a thread on here? I'm new and I just posted a blog in reference to astrology with some questions when i wanted it to be a thread. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 03:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I grew in the U.S. but in a town with many Sicilian immigrants and I went to school with their kids. And I went to church with them, and to Christian Doctrine classes.

And, on the basis of that experience, I am not surprised by what you say. Belief in the Evil Eye....I've forgotten, what is it, malocchio?, and the like was very common among these Sicilian-Americans....so why not horoscopes?
Here's another one. In Italy, the number 17 is considered bad luck.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:02 PM

156 posts, read 195,436 times
The divinating secretary Jean Dixon read for FDR, Nixon and Nancy Reagan and they took it somewhat seriously, supossedly. Only "The Enquirer" knew for sure but she wasn't telling, only hinting. Then there was Edgar Cayce, even the Rockefellers consulted him.

I think a lot of religious-minded people put faith in astrology simply as it befits their psyche. I know that Mediterraneans can be fanatical about astrology, tarot, fortune-telling, what-not. I remember how convinced an old Sicilian women was when she saw the lines in my hand as a child, going bonkers advising my parents that I should be watched & protected from some unnamed evil which lurked nearby stalking me. It became umm-comfortably uproarious. But maybe it's a custom like screeching "hello, there is evil in the world!"

And everytime I see Hello! Kitty I think of those ceramic cats from Japan. I smile happily. IDK, who knows? Let me go check my horoscope...

Old 05-13-2012, 03:03 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Going by the following Slovakia, among European nations, looks to be fairly accepting/believing of astrology.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...mzv_n70KaDmJNw

Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Tibetan culture. Tibetan medical institutes include an astrology curriculum as part of the requirement for a degree. As if astrology has anything to do with medicine. But in their worldview, it does.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:16 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,450,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Of course! Just compare horoscopes in several newspapers. Each say something different. Many of them have a general statement that will, most likely, apply to anyone's individual situation. Nearly all daily newspaper horoscopes are not carefully constructed, or are in fact generated randomly.
There are more then 7 billion people on this planet. Population is increasing 2 people per second. Would you really believe that all people born in the same month, week or a minute have same personalities or destiny? It is illogical to expect one-twelfth of the population to experience the same tendencies at any one time.

I do believe in professional astrology reading, but not in a random generated fun readings printed in newspapers, or gossip magazines.
Hundreds of years of recorded astrological observations have shown that certain traits are more prominent in the personality and temperament of those born in one sign than in another. An experienced astrologer can tell many things about character, potential, strengths and weaknesses, and taking those facts as a base, the astrologer can also tell with a high degree of accuracy many things about someones life.
Exactly, and unfortunately this sort of quick, entertainment-oriented "Sun-Sign" astrology seems to be how the average person looks at it, rather than having a full natal chart professionally drawn up and interpreted... complete with noting all the other positions for the moon, mars, venus, saturn and the rest.

Although the U.S. is actually in the minority on this issue, as most of the world recognizes some form of astrology, whether its the chinese, vedic, sri lankan, celtic versions, etc.

And perhaps the best-know "proof" of astrology comes from French psychologist Michel Gauquelin, who noted a statistical correlation among the charts of famous athletes (also later observed among famous warriors and military people).

Or as psychologist Carl Jung once put it, "astrology is the collected psychological wisdom of the ancients"!

Speaking of which, psychological astrology (aka, Jungian astrology) and financial astrology, seem to be emerging contemporary trends in astrology these days.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Astrology is extremely important in Indian culture. It is used to set up marriages, compatibility etc etc.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,456,602 times
People in Sri Lanka take astrology extremely seriously, to the extent of arranging their entire lives around it, apparently.

Astrology in Sri Lanka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, as a Libra I believe it's bad luck to be superstitious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World