Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU vs NA
European Union 91 46.67%
North America 104 53.33%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
Based on the current economic climate in Europe i want to be anywhere else than in the E.U. Thinking of moving to switzerland from germany. North america would be a choice too, but how to get a f***ing greencard???
What makes you think that the situation in North America is preferable? It certainly isn't, not even Canada is immune from the European debt crisis. Good luck moving to Switzerland, unless you have a 6 digit bank account balance, they're not interested in you.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:14 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
Based on the current economic climate in Europe i want to be anywhere else than in the E.U. Thinking of moving to switzerland from germany. North america would be a choice too, but how to get a f***ing greencard???
Never been to Miami, but I don't think that Florida's economy is better than Frankfurt's. And Switzerland might be a bit better off and pays higher salaries but costs are a lot higher too. Maybe you are lucky and win the Greencard lottery. Viel Glück.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,057 times
wow it's pretty much neck and neck. great

Old 08-26-2012, 10:48 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Cities - EU
Weather - EU
People - EU
Sports - EU
Economy - Tie
Scenery - NA
Education - EU
Nightlife - EU

Old 08-26-2012, 07:09 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,704 times
hmmmm. I think this is a dumb poll because how can you really compare the USA and Canada to Europe? Everybody has their own tastes and different perspectives. Some Americans would love to live in Europe, at least temporarily. I know many Europeans that live in America and prefer it here. Different strokes for different folks. The USA is so big and diverse, you can really can't compare the entire country to another continent. My America is different than many other people's America. I think of it more in a regional/city perspective. Someone that lives in Seattle, typically has a very different lifestyle than say someone that lives in Miami...

Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
The USA is so big and diverse, you can really can't compare the entire country to another continent. My America is different than many other people's America.
And the EU isn't big and diverse? What you said applies even more to the EU since it consists of 27 countries, has tons of different languages, climates, cities, political systems, cultures. While the US is rather generic and uniform in comparison. I'm not saying the US is bad since I like it a lot and call it home, but compared to all of the EU...

I never get those "US vs. Europe" comparisons anyway and that's what this basically is, even though the OP wrote North America. Many Americans pretend that Europe is one block of uniform countries but it isn't. At the same time they emphasize how diverse America is and that each State is pretty much like its own country. Do I need to understand that? Probably not.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM

59 posts, read 159,507 times
North America on a more practical scale, more space, cost of living
Europe on helping the poor more with their more intense welfare system
North America for being more at the center of things
Europe for diversity in culture
North America for racial diversity
Europe for public transit
North America for tertiary education
Europe for primary, secondary education
North America for natural scenery new architecture
Europe for older architectural scenery
Social Progressiveness Tie; Canada parts of the USA Scandinavia, Netherlands, Spain etc

Overall I think Europe is more family friendly and North America is more about teh individual I don't think either is really better than the other. Europe is closer to the ideal being less about the money.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,884 times
Amanda and her life partner Julie live in a 120-year old property in a gentrified neighbourhood of inner-city Boston. They both cycle to work, are vegetarians, and keen cooks. Neither Amanda nor Julie attend church nor beleive in God. Neither woman owns a car; in fact, Amanda cannot drive. Both Julie and Amanda take long holidays twice a year and are thus widely travelled, as Amanda works for the government and benefits from a generous holiday allowance, and Julie is self-employed. Although neither takes home a large pay check, both women enjoy a high quality of life, as their outgoings are low due to the low cost of living in their local area and the fact that Julie pays low rates of tax on her small business.

Dietger and his wife Angela live in Thannhausen, a small town in Bavaria. Both are deeply religious and active members of their local church. They own two cars - one of which is an SUV. Neither has taken public transport since they were in their 20s. Their house was constructed in 2006; as Angela cannot stand living in old buildings. Angela shops at strip malls and out of town hypermarkets as she finds going in the city centre a trial. Both are very anti-gay rights, in fact, they have not spoken to their son since 2001, when he came out as gay and moved to Berlin. Angela is very overweight. Dietger is a keen shotsman and owns dozens of firearms. While Dietger takes home €100,000 a year, the family have to live within a strict budget as Angela does not work and Dietger is heavily taxed.

I guess my point is that this thread is far too large and subjective for any meaningful conclusions to be made - any assertions will be based on stereotypes and mass-generalisations. There are millions of people living millions of different lives both sides of the Atlantic - and the 27 EU countries and the 50 States are so diverse as to make sweeping comparisons between both of them almost meaningless!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Funny how NA has caught up and soared into the lead in the past few days :s

Old 08-28-2012, 04:13 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Amanda and her life partner Julie live in a 120-year old property in a gentrified neighbourhood of inner-city Boston. They both cycle to work, are vegetarians, and keen cooks. Neither Amanda nor Julie attend church nor beleive in God. Neither woman owns a car; in fact, Amanda cannot drive. Both Julie and Amanda take long holidays twice a year and are thus widely travelled, as Amanda works for the government and benefits from a generous holiday allowance, and Julie is self-employed. Although neither takes home a large pay check, both women enjoy a high quality of life, as their outgoings are low due to the low cost of living in their local area and the fact that Julie pays low rates of tax on her small business.

Dietger and his wife Angela live in Thannhausen, a small town in Bavaria. Both are deeply religious and active members of their local church. They own two cars - one of which is an SUV. Neither has taken public transport since they were in their 20s. Their house was constructed in 2006; as Angela cannot stand living in old buildings. Angela shops at strip malls and out of town hypermarkets as she finds going in the city centre a trial. Both are very anti-gay rights, in fact, they have not spoken to their son since 2001, when he came out as gay and moved to Berlin. Angela is very overweight. Dietger is a keen shotsman and owns dozens of firearms. While Dietger takes home €100,000 a year, the family have to live within a strict budget as Angela does not work and Dietger is heavily taxed.

I guess my point is that this thread is far too large and subjective for any meaningful conclusions to be made - any assertions will be based on stereotypes and mass-generalisations. There are millions of people living millions of different lives both sides of the Atlantic - and the 27 EU countries and the 50 States are so diverse as to make sweeping comparisons between both of them almost meaningless!
Well that really misses what I suppose to be the point - of course all kinds of people in all kinds of communities live all kinds of lifestyles both sides of the Atlantic. The question, I think, is all other things being equal in your immediate surroundings, which region would you prefer to have as your wider 'back yard' - if people weren't so defensive and competitive, this could be quite an interesting qualitative comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World