Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU vs NA
European Union 91 46.67%
North America 104 53.33%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

Where do you prefer to live and why? Moved to the EU after living in the U.S. my entire life.

Criteria:

Cities - Europe has more picturesque and historically interesting cities.

Weather - Toss-up really, you can find extremes of hot and cold in both places, no deserts like in the U.S. but plenty of heat.

People - EU, easier to meet a great variety of nationalities in the course of daily life. Though places like NYC, where I lived, provide that opportunity as well. I love the lifestyle of hanging out in cafes, whether local neighborhood ones or bigger ones in the cities.

Sports - EU by far, football and rugby are more exciting than baseball or U.S. style "football."

Economy - Toss-up, given the financial crisis. The U.S. will recover faster, but will soon be hit with its own massive debt load to deal with. The Eurozone could fold or be radically reduced, and that will reduce the value of the euro or local currencies that replace it.

Scenery - EU for me. The U.S. certainly has more examples of spectacular scenery, e.g. Grand Canyon, but Europe has a wide variety of scenery too and the historical cities and buildings trump the U.S. for me. Also the coastlines are usually not as built up. The proximity to North Africa is a big plus.

Education - On the continent young students seem much better educated than Americans of the same age. Brit kids seem only on par with Americans.

Nightlife - In France it seems wherever you go there are first-rate classical or jazz concerts, not just the big cities. When I lived on the Med coast I found that local DJ's in dance clubs used Arab, African and Indian pop in their mixing, and this music is just easier to get in the EU as well, and as I enjoy it this is a plus.

Other - Medical costs are about 1/4 less on the average, and sometimes 1/3 less. The quality of the doctors and hospitals is the same, or in some cases better than the best I experienced in the U.S.....and this is private care, not the national healthcare systems.

I had become totally disgusted with the divisiveness and the shrillness of public discourse in the U.S., and that quality has become thoroughly pervasive there - there is no escaping. Where I live the national politics is conducted at a more acceptable level, and does not permeate every attempt at conversation. Also religion intrudes far less into politics on the whole. There is nothing like the Religious Right.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM

244 posts, read 592,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
You obviously have not been to EU.. because in Europe laws may seem less strict on paper, but in reality it is worse then USA, in EU you will be asked for you identification by just walking in the streets, at any time you will be asked for ID for no reason.. Totally evokes any sense of freedom..

Stuff like that do not happen in NA.
I have lived in the Netherlands, Italy, and the UK. I have spent significant time in Sweden and Greece, both places I stay for long periods of time frequently, not to mention the many other countries in the EU i have visited for a weekend holiday or to visit friends. I then have also lived in California for 60% of my life and spend a lot of time in NY. I know what I said, and I have experienced FAR more limits and restrictions to my freedom in the USA. Where I never said the EU is perfect in regards to laws...bc it obviously isn't...it is no where near the US when speaking of abuse of authority and strict if not over-the-top law enforcement. Put simply...yes there is more social and basic freedom in the EU.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 AM

361 posts, read 837,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
I have lived in the Netherlands, Italy, and the UK. I have spent significant time in Sweden and Greece, both places I stay for long periods of time frequently, not to mention the many other countries in the EU i have visited for a weekend holiday or to visit friends. I then have also lived in California for 60% of my life and spend a lot of time in NY. I know what I said, and I have experienced FAR more limits and restrictions to my freedom in the USA. Where I never said the EU is perfect in regards to laws...bc it obviously isn't...it is no where near the US when speaking of abuse of authority and strict if not over-the-top law enforcement. Put simply...yes there is more social and basic freedom in the EU.
It depends ... you have more financial freedom in the US.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I've been to Europe and trust me, Europe will never have anything on North America as a whole.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've been to Europe and trust me, Europe will never have anything on North America as a whole.
Wait, why are we trusting you? I'm not sure if I got the memo.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
It depends ... you have more financial freedom in the US.
This can be argued as well, being that in the US there are plenty of ways that keeps it's population financially enslaved to the government...so curious as to how you believe there is more financial freedom in the US?

Old 05-23-2012, 05:29 PM

282 posts, read 962,648 times
I don't get why do people keep going on about how NA wins in terms of tertiary education. Europe has just as many great unviersities as USA, if not more. On top of that, not only they are incomparably more affordable, but at the undergraduate level student gets to actually study for the degree they chose, unlike in North America where you spend most of your very expensive 4 (!) years of studies studying things which have nothing to do with your degree. Not to mention courses like Law and Medicine where you are literally required to get a useless 4 year degree in something else, before you get to start. Can anyone explain to me why are American universities considered better? In terms of what?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
I don't get why do people keep going on about how NA wins in terms of tertiary education. Europe has just as many great unviersities as USA, if not more. On top of that, not only they are incomparably more affordable, but at the undergraduate level student gets to actually study for the degree they chose, unlike in North America where you spend most of your very expensive 4 (!) years of studies studying things which have nothing to do with your degree. Not to mention courses like Law and Medicine where you are literally required to get a useless 4 year degree in something else, before you get to start. Can anyone explain to me why are American universities considered better? In terms of what?
YES EXACTLY...what he said

Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 PM

91 posts, read 157,926 times
Cities - EU. Yes NA has Vancouver, LA, Chicago, Miami and NY. But the EU cities outweigh their counterparts in sheer variety. Cosmopolitan London and Paris, big cities with a small vibe like Amsterdam, ancient cities like Rome and Athens, cultural capitals like Vienna! And all around great cities like Barcelona and Munich. And the best part about the EU cities is that they're all relatively close to each other!!
Weather - NA. LA takes this easily. Some people need four seasons, but I'm fine with just the one that LA provides. And yes there are plenty of Mediterranean climates in Europe. But one thing LA has that they don't is the low humidity! Venice is so humid, it makes the city harder to enjoy!
People - EU. I actually like all the people I've met in NA but the sheer variety is awesome in EU.
Sports - EU. Big soccer fan, Arsenal!! Besides, I find it that soccer fans are more passionate than fans of any other sport.
Economy - NA. Eurozone on the brink of collapse.
Scenery - EU. Took plenty of trains through EU. From Czech Republic all the way to Croatia, beautiful.
Education - NA. When it comes to K-12 we're lacking, but higher University education is without a doubt the best here.
Nightlife - EU. One word; Ibiza!
Other - Will hopefully one day move to EU, or at least live there for an extended period of time.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:51 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Ok, I will trust you and take your word for it!

New York, Miami, London, SE Spain and Split in Croatia are the places that excite me the most, so Europe wins 3/2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World