Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 21,293 times

Advertisements

To be more precise, are Afro Latinos treated differently in all South American countries? Not to generalize, but I can imagine how the minority is treated differently in all countries. I also hear there's a lot of racial issues in Brazil. But not only in terms of racist attitudes, are black communities being treated as equals period? Essentially, are they considered inferior, or "beneath" White South-Americans?

This past spring, I had a classmate who was from Colombia. You can't tell if someone is racist just by looking at them, but I'm pretty sure she felt uncomfortable around me, or unsure around other black classmates. Mind you, this was a community college course: Interpersonal Communication to be exact, so of course, it was more interesting to pick up on some of her nonverbal cues. Maybe there was a strong prejudice there; however, it seemed like she was trying to break free from it?

Is there some kind of prejudgment being spread around South America about people of mixed race, or African heritage? It may not even be prejudice towards Afro Latinos, but people who have a darker complexion.

Lastly, feel free to share any personal experience you may have had, or a story. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM

221 posts, read 379,760 times
I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by FlowerpotFlowers; 05-22-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 21,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
I wouldn't worry about it.
Worry about what - racism in South America? And why shouldn't I? It's not so much that I'm worried about it than I am trying to discuss it. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:06 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionfollowsbelief View Post
To be more precise, are Afro Latinos treated differently in all South American countries? Not to generalize, but I can imagine how the minority is treated differently in all countries. I also hear there's a lot of racial issues in Brazil. But not only in terms of racist attitudes, are black communities being treated as equals period? Essentially, are they considered inferior, or "beneath" White South-Americans?

This past spring, I had a classmate who was from Colombia. You can't tell if someone is racist just by looking at them, but I'm pretty sure she felt uncomfortable around me, or unsure around other black classmates. Mind you, this was a community college course: Interpersonal Communication to be exact, so of course, it was more interesting to pick up on some of her nonverbal cues. Maybe there was a strong prejudice there; however, it seemed like she was trying to break free from it?

Is there some kind of prejudgment being spread around South America about people of mixed race, or African heritage? It may not even be prejudice towards Afro Latinos, but people who have a darker complexion.

Lastly, feel free to share any personal experience you may have had, or a story. Thanks!

Hollywood is the second largest film industry in the world. Add to that scale of media exportation rap music and Hip Hop.

Do you think impoverished black Africans are racist when--I think it was Will Smith--reported small, black, African children in some African town he visited were afraid to approach him. When he inquired about this he was told the kids watch rap videos an movies from the U.S. and are afraid ethnic Black-Americans will gangster gun them down for "disrespect."

My point partly is this: Brazilian of all colors are aware Black-Americans in the U.S. are an ethnicity--not merely a color of people--and I've heard even white Brazilian think Black-Americans are the toughest things walking g planet earth. Not that they aren't aware of non-violent professional classes of Black-Americans.

But while there is racism throughout Latin America--and planet earth--not every country assumes specific behaviors, mannerisms, and beliefs must automatically come from certain skin pigmentation.

That said... I suspect the whites of Latin America regard the darker hued and the blacks as intellectually inferior.

I think what is the greater problem in terms of this within Latin America is that most darker skinned people and most blacks are poor. So, people automatically draw associations between the two. Plus, humans of all races associate money and professional status or glamor with what's "good" and what's "best."

The social prestige of Black-Americans in the United States could not have risen if all blacks remained enslaved. As more blacks join the professional classes, as more gain Ph.D.'s, as more are seen as medical doctors, engineers, lawyers, CEO's and Presidents of the United States so Black-Americans as a whole in the U.S. will rise in prestige as an equal race capable, in the perception of non-black United States citizens.

Therefore, blacks in Latin America will have to rise in the academic and professional ranks for their prestige to rise in their nations. For perceptions to change basically.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,320 times
I haven't watched this documentary yet, ActionFollows, but I'll hazard a guess it suggests ethnic Black-American men find they are treated like small celebrities among the women of Brazil or Rio de Janeiro at least.

So, if they perceive the Black-American tourist in their country as being "rich" and "cool" is that racist?

Either way, right or wrong, it is due to a perception.

Frustrated: Black American Men in Brazil (POWERFUL DOCUMENTARY) - YouTube

Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 AM

Default Her Culture

Can you tell us what she did to demonstrate that she was uncomfortable? It seems like you've created this scenario in your head that deals with her country of origin when maybe it has nothing to do with Colombian people. How could she have made you feel that she was more comfortable with you and other black people? What specific actions disturbed you so much that you felt you had to delve into racial relations among Colombian people when you live in America?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 AM

...But while there is racism throughout Latin America--and planet earth--not every country assumes specific behaviors, mannerisms, and beliefs must automatically come from certain skin pigmentation.

That said... I suspect the whites of Latin America regard the darker hued and the blacks as intellectually inferior.

I think what is the greater problem in terms of this within Latin America is that most darker skinned people and most blacks are poor. So, people automatically draw associations between the two. Plus, humans of all races associate money and professional status or glamor with what's "good" and what's "best."

The social prestige of Black-Americans in the United States could not have risen if all blacks remained enslaved. As more blacks join the professional classes, as more gain Ph.D.'s, as more are seen as medical doctors, engineers, lawyers, CEO's and Presidents of the United States so Black-Americans as a whole in the U.S. will rise in prestige as an equal race capable, in the perception of non-black United States citizens.

Therefore, blacks in Latin America will have to rise in the academic and professional ranks for their prestige to rise in their nations. For perceptions to change basically.[/quote]

I still don't understand what 'uncomfortable behaviors' this girl displayed, but they must have been pretty bad. You're answer is interesting. That may be how some white Brazilians view black Brazilians, but why generalize? There are black people who view other black people the same way and only want to date outside their race because they don't look favorably upon their own. I have seen some white Brazilians who date blacks, but some who are not attracted to them/prefer other white people.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:00 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post

Therefore, blacks in Latin America will have to rise in the academic and professional ranks for their prestige to rise in their nations. For perceptions to change basically.
When exactly do you think slavery ended in Latin America? Ever heard of Jim Crow Laws? No country has treated Africans descendents worse than the US. Do some research please.

Black Americans are still stereotyped in his country, get real. And there are plenty of black professionals in Colombia and not even the most ignorant people see them as intellectually inferior. Why would they? Most are catholics and are taught that Jesus doesn't discriminate based on skin color. They are also taught since little that they are mutts and that they all black, amerindian and white. There are racist people there who wouldn't want a black inlaw but usually the racism stops there. Most people have no problems being friends with black people.

OP Without knowing your classmate's behavior we cannot tell what's wrong with her. Maybe she doesn't like you. Maybe she doesn't like your voice, your comments or the perfume you wear.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 AM

Default I'm not attracted to you so that makes me a racist towards you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
When exactly do you think slavery ended in Latin America? Ever heard of Jim Crow Laws? No country has treated Africans descendents worse than the US. Do some research please.

Black Americans are still stereotyped in his country, get real. And there are plenty of black professionals in Colombia and not even the most ignorant people see them as intellectually inferior. Why would they? Most are catholics and are taught that Jesus doesn't discriminate based on skin color. They are also taught since little that they are mutts and that they all black, amerindian and white. There are racist people there who wouldn't want a black inlaw but usually the racism stops there. Most people have no problems being friends with black people.

OP Without knowing your classmate's behavior we cannot tell what's wrong with her. Maybe she doesn't like you. Maybe she doesn't like your voice, your comments or the perfume you wear.

I think the OP liked the Colombian girl and she didn't like him back. That's it. So, he took it personally and was trying to find a deep meaning behind it. Maybe he should ask himself why he felt more attracted to the Colombian girl than towards women who look like himself. Maybe he and the Colombian girl just share the same taste...for predominantly white or indigenous Colombians or white hispanics or white people...except that is probably what she is/he is not. It is a damn shame to be a hypocrite.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 AM

578 posts, read 962,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

Slavery ended in Colombia (including Panama which was part of Colombia until fairly recently) in 1852.

In Puerto Rico slavery was abolished in 1873. In Cuba it was 1886 and in Brazil it was 1888.

Cuba actually had widespread racism and segregation until Castro came into power.

At least the USA had a Civil Rights movement, which not only fought for AAs social conditions and inequalities but paved the way for future movements and for immigrants and civil rights in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World