Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:05 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Foreign accents that might be funny to some people can be downright charming to others. Foreign accents are always subjective -- I've met Italians and French people who LOVE an American accent (or hate it, or hate the German accent the most, or think the Swedish accent is the cutest, etc.). In the case of your prime minister's spoken English, I think many Americans would find it quite charming.
Here the "fantastic English proficiency" of our Prime Minister has become a recurring joke on the internet. Someone on youtube has also remixed it for making a funny song.
In his case the problem is that he sounds funny/not serious even when he speaks Italian, and his English is really poor. In practice we are divided between the ones who laugh at him and the ones who are are ashamed of him.

Video: Italians mock Prime Minister Matteo Renzi for awful English - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 11:06 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Foreign accents that might be funny to some people can be downright charming to others. Foreign accents are always subjective -- I've met Italians and French people who LOVE an American accent (or hate it, or hate the German accent the most, or think the Swedish accent is the cutest, etc.). In the case of your prime minister's spoken English, I think many Americans would find it quite charming.
Yes it is definitely subjective- plus, it differs within a group. I think some Filipinos have a beautiful accent speaking English, some, not so much.lol

Old 10-10-2015, 01:05 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Here the "fantastic English proficiency" of our Prime Minister has become a recurring joke on the internet. Someone on youtube has also remixed it for making a funny song.
In his case the problem is that he sounds funny/not serious even when he speaks Italian, and his English is really poor. In practice we are divided between the ones who laugh at him and the ones who are are ashamed of him.

Video: Italians mock Prime Minister Matteo Renzi for awful English - Telegraph
Thanks for that -- quite a fun video parody. Renzi's English isn't ready for a public forum -- I will agree with you there. France's current and former presidents, Hollande and Sarkozy (esp. Sarkozy), don't speak great English, and some French people I've met would prefer they both just not bother. I've heard that Angela Merkel of Germany actually speaks rather good English, but she's such a perfectionist about everything (and she fears her accent is unattractive) that she won't hold forth in English in public at all. She'll speak it only behind closed doors in private chats. I don't think most native speakers of English are nearly as critical of foreign accents as Europeans are. First, there are many immigrants in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia and we hear all sorts of foreign accents all the time. Second, we often don't learn other languages -- the language requirements in US schools are pretty minimal, so most of us don't bother. Those of us who do bother know how difficult it is to master a foreign language. We're probably less judgmental about Matteo's English-language "skills" than educated Italians like you might be.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:59 PM

401 posts, read 649,701 times
to be honest any foreign accent depends on the level of proficiency of English. The accent will be stronger for people who don't speak fluently English. I think any foreign accent can be irritating if the accent is too strong and the English too broken.
I'm French and I'm sure a strong French accent would annoy anyone. I can see how a light French accent can be sexy depending on the speaker.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
In general dislike:

Spanish(Spain)
Brazilian
Vietnamese
Chicano accent(i.e. Cheech Marin)

Like/love:
Indian/Pakistani
Japanese
German
Italian(sometimes)
All Caribbean accents

I take it you don't like an accent like Antonio Banderas what about Salma Hayek. I like her accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OcBp8wtKjU

Old 10-10-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I take it you don't like an accent like Antonio Banderas what about Salma Hayek. I like her accent.

[youtube]1OcBp8wtKjU[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OcBp8wtKjU[/url]
Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek aren't bad. For the most part the Spanish accent sounds very rough in English. Though Salma has a Mexican accent, she sounds like my mother. Lol

Actually I forgot to add Cuban/Puerto Rican accents in English- do not like those, I find them to be very exaggerated.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek aren't bad. For the most part the Spanish accent sounds very rough in English. Though Salma has a Mexican accent, she sounds like my mother. Lol

Actually I forgot to add Cuban/Puerto Rican accents in English- do not like those, I find them to be very exaggerated.
Yes I know I threw her in to see if you were awake. lol

Old 10-12-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Yes I know I threw her in to see if you were awake. lol
Ha! When it comes to language and culture, I am usually awake!

Old 10-13-2015, 02:34 PM

515 posts, read 1,059,234 times
I like Italian, Russian/Slavic and French accents.

Don't care much for German and Chinese sounds horrible.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:20 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Love the Brits.............HATE the Aussies.
Yeah, because the Cockney and Geordie accents are such bliss to the ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World