U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 PM

6,508 posts, read 12,292,217 times

Advertisements

Also, places you always continued to have the same opinions about and did not have changed yet.

There can be plenty of times when people significantly change their opinions about something, and this is also true for people’s opinions about certain countries.

For the list I will put up right now, I will use the time frame since 14 years old and my opinions about countries since then. (I am now age 20. Turning 21 in less than a month).

Later in the thread, I will describe further how exactly my opinions changed for plenty of those countries I am mentioning and be more specific, but for now I rather just have the list up first.

Countries where my opinions became much more positive/enjoyment/inspiring/respect for those places:

Taiwan
South Korea
Austria
Germany
Spain
Croatia
Slovenia
Georgia
Vietnam

Countries where my opinions became more positive/enjoyment/inspiring/respect for those places (less than the category above but more than the category below):

Czech Republic
Singapore
Argentina
Chile
Uruguay

Countries where my opinions became slightly more positive/enjoyment/inspiring/respect for those places:

Belgium
Israel
UAE
Morocco
Poland
Finland
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Azerbaijan
Indonesia
Malaysia

Countries where my opinions became slightly more negative/less enjoyment/less inspiring/less respect:

Brazil
Mexico
Philippines

Countries where my opinions became more negative/less enjoyment/less inspiring/less respect: (More than the category above but less than the category below):

Ireland
Portugal
Greece
Turkey
New Zealand
Egypt
Tunisia
Papua New Guinea

Countries where my opinions became much more negative/much less enjoyment/less inspiring/less respect:

Albania
Bosnia
Serbia
South Africa
Kenya
Nigeria
Syria
Libya
Columbia
Venezuela
Dominican Republic
Jamaica
Bahamas
Aruba

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-16-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM

These are the Countries where I continued to always have the same/similar opinions about and most likely won’t ever change my opinions about them any time soon:

France
UK/England
Netherlands
Sweden
Denmark
Switzerland
Romania
Italy
Canada
USA
Australia
China
India
Japan
Thailand

Old 05-16-2012, 11:48 PM

24,682 posts, read 51,339,507 times
I'll only speak for countries I've visited:

Singapore - was born there and have visited many times, so my opinion hasn't changed too much. Always a great place for eating and shopping...I think the fact that it is now 30% non-Singaporean and is more crowded than ever makes it a less fun place to visit.

Malaysia - Still a beautiful country with friendly people, there are aspects about it that would prevent me living there.

NZ - as I imagined it - beautiful scenery, friendly people, a quainter, smaller cousin.

China - An absolute fascinating country. Visiting just confirmed this for me.

United States - Sadly, going there made it lose a bit of the magic...still an amazing, large and diverse nation, but I found most American cities I went to a letdown. Urban cores that felt blighted, extremely generic chains.etc...but Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Appalachians were all breathtaking.

Vietnam - A country I'd never thought much of visiting, was quite pleasantly surprised. Still quite traditional/authentic, but has a genericness to it that gets boring (scenery, culture.etc).

Thailand - Getting too touristy for my tastes. Probably less impressed with it after visiting.

Vietnam - A country

Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 AM

10,509 posts, read 14,295,251 times
Only listed countries i have visited...

Countries where my opinions became much more positive/enjoyment/inspiring/respect for those places:

USA
Japan

Countries where my opinions became more positive/enjoyment/inspiring/respect for those places (less than the category above but more than the category below):

Netherlands
Thailand

Countries where my opinions became slightly more positive/enjoyment/inspiring/respect for those places:

Costa Rica
Colombia
England

Countries where my opinions became slightly more negative/less enjoyment/less inspiring/less respect:

Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Germany
Austria
Singapore

Countries where my opinions became more negative/less enjoyment/less inspiring/less respect: (More than the category above but less than the category below):

Mexico
Panama
Turkey

Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM

10 years ago when i was 12, i really thought that Mexico, Jamaica, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, China and Indonesia were some of the greatest countries in the world to visit...
Now those countries aren't even on my top 25 list.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM

706 posts, read 2,017,569 times
As a child stamp collector, my impressions of countries were based largely on how beautiful their postage stamps were, and the best were Portugal, Malta, Cyprus, Greece, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, all clustered around the Mediterranean.

As as adult, as my dreams of going there were realized, I didn't really like those countries very much at all, compared to other parts of the world.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 PM

24,682 posts, read 51,339,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
10 years ago when i was 12, i really thought that Mexico, Jamaica, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, China and Indonesia were some of the greatest countries in the world to visit...
What changed? Have you visited them all?

Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Only listed countries i have visited...

USA
Japan

Netherlands
Thailand

Costa Rica
Colombia
England

Belgium
Luxembourg
France
Germany
Austria
Singapore

Mexico
Panama
Turkey
Are you originally from the Netherlands, Dutch citizen, born/raised there, and living there most of your life?

Or are you an American that moved to Netherlands recently?

I always had the same and similar opinions about Netherlands, mostly positive opinions, and I don’t think Netherlands is one of the countries I would ever change my mind about anytime soon.

That is ironic that you started to enjoy Thailand more, having more respect for it etc. even though you started to enjoy Thai cuisine less.

Columbia is one of the countries I started to develop much more negative opinions about and much less respect. What in particular about Columbia made your opinions become slightly more positive?

Some people think Netherlands and Belgium are completely similar, but I disagree with that too, and they do have noticeable differences from each other.

Even though my opinions became slightly better about Belgium(and mostly good opinions for Belgium too), I enjoy Netherlands more. Netherlands seems more vibrant, some better urban amenities, more cosmopolitan and less provincial. Although, Belgium might still have the better architecture.

Luxembourg is kind of one of those countries almost everyone forget about. Why is that its own separate country? I think Luxembourg should stop being its own country and should just be part of Netherlands, Belgium, or France.

What happened with France, Germany, and Austria for you to make it slightly more negative and Turkey/Mexico becoming even more negative?

Quote:
China still makes my top 25 list, and even in the top 10, but quite a bit of that is when Hong Kong is included.

However, Greece/Turkey/Egypt did go much further down on the list over time for me too. When I was 10 to 14 years old, they were probably in my top 15. Now since age 18(I am turning 21 in less than a month), they are definitely below 25th place, and probably barely make 40th to 50th place.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-17-2012 at 11:54 PM..

Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

1.Are you originally from the Netherlands, Dutch citizen, born/raised there, and living there most of your life?
Or are you an American that moved to Netherlands recently?

2.always had the same and similar opinions about Netherlands, mostly positive opinions, and I don’t think Netherlands is one of the countries I would ever change my mind about anytime soon.

3.That is ironic that you started to enjoy Thailand more, having more respect for it etc. even though you started to enjoy Thai cuisine less.

4.Columbia is one of the countries I started to develop much more negative opinions about and much less respect. What in particular about Columbia made your opinions become slightly more positive?

5.What happened with France, Germany, and Austria for you to make it slightly more negative and Turkey/Mexico becoming even more negative?

6.China still makes my top 25 list, and even in the top 10, but quite a bit of that is when Hong Kong is included.
1.Dutch, born and raised in the NLD, NLD, NLD!!!

2.My views were never really negative but after traveling to other countries, you realize how tolerant, organized, clean and safe your own country is.

3.Yeah maybe because i have a Thai girlfriend.

4.Because i scored quality white for a nice price without getting ripped and the women were hot.

5.Paris is nice but so overpriced and many rude people.
I just thought Austria was boring, nice mountains but that's it.
I got ripped off twice in Cozumel, Mexico buying grass and coca (i thought), what i got was some kitchen herbs and smashed paracetemol.
Turkey is nice for the hardcore eater/drinker who likes to sit in the sun at the pool the whole day, not for me.
Germany i have nothing against it but the more i go there the less i enjoy it.

6.Hong Kong is in my top 5 and Taiwan in my top 15 but mainland China i just want to wait for now and hope the situation will improve over the years.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'll only speak for countries I've visited:

Singapore - was born there and have visited many times, so my opinion hasn't changed too much. Always a great place for eating and shopping...I think the fact that it is now 30% non-Singaporean and is more crowded than ever makes it a less fun place to visit.

Malaysia - Still a beautiful country with friendly people, there are aspects about it that would prevent me living there.

NZ - as I imagined it - beautiful scenery, friendly people, a quainter, smaller cousin.

China - An absolute fascinating country. Visiting just confirmed this for me.

United States - Sadly, going there made it lose a bit of the magic...still an amazing, large and diverse nation, but I found most American cities I went to a letdown. Urban cores that felt blighted, extremely generic chains.etc...but Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Appalachians were all breathtaking.

Vietnam - A country I'd never thought much of visiting, was quite pleasantly surprised. Still quite traditional/authentic, but has a genericness to it that gets boring (scenery, culture.etc).

Thailand - Getting too touristy for my tastes. Probably less impressed with it after visiting.
People can develop plenty of substantial, interesting, and accurate opinions both for places they visited but that is also true for places they did not visit yet too.

After being born in Singapore, how long did you live there before moving to Australia? I assume you lived in Singapore only for a very short time, lived in Australia for a very long time, and consider yourself being much more Australian and just being a tiny bit Singaporean. Also, what reasons did your family decide to leave Singapore and move to Australia those many years ago?

Singapore does seem great for food and shopping, but I also like how it is so extremely wealthy per capita, that it has the highest percentage of millionaires for any country in the world, and has one of the lowest poverty rates for any country in the world. I assume this makes Singapore have a very vibrant wealthy culture where people like to spend a lot of money on stuff. I also find the diversity that Singapore has to be intriguing and appealing. And it most likely does well for other things too.

I wonder what Singapore will do for the increasing population problem and how it can cope with that. Is it going to annex some land from Malaysia or Indonesia and grow in geographic size to deal with increasing population? Or is that something Singapore does not have to worry about yet?

I do like some things about Malaysia, but just for visiting and not to live in most likely.

Australia seems superior compared to New Zealand for almost everything. The only things New Zealand has that Australia does not have much of is the mountainous scenery. Maybe Australia should have just tried to annex the South Island of New Zealand and have the mountains too. Maybe it is not too late for Australia to do that.

Australia wins over New Zealand for people, entertainment options, vibrancy, culture, economy, diversity, etc. and it still offers good nature scenery too and actually has the better beaches, even if it doesn’t have the better mountains.

I do find China to be a fascinating country too. I think the positives about China upstages the negative by far.

I enjoy the USA while enjoying plenty of other countries at the same time too. (at least 20 other countries. Maybe as many as up to 70 different countries). I don’t want to close myself away from other countries and find that can be uninspiring, boring, and lame when people discourage and close themselves away too much from other places.

I prefer the most exciting, interesting countries, and the places that I want to get to know and explore the most.

Vietnam is one of the countries my opinions became much more positive/more enjoyment/respect. The other countries for me that made the same category as Vietnam for this topic are Taiwan, South Korea, Austria, Germany, Spain, Croatia, Slovenia, and Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World