Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Hi all! wanted to ask a few questions!
1 the Truth is that most American guys are unable to common problems at home? (example - repair outlets, home repair, plumbing. and t)
It depends on the skills guys have. Some guys are able to repair autos. Some guys have excellent home repair skills. Again, depends on the person.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some guys can do that, others can't. You need some training as an electrician to be able to work with electrical wiring.

Only is very small rural schools do all ages learn in the same classroom. The teacher works with different ages separately, they get instruction according to their age-group.

Very bright children sometimes are skipped ahead one grade. In my school, there was a girl my age, but she was two grades ahead of me. It's extremely rare that a 10 year old would be so advanced as to study with 16 year-olds, though. Still, it happens. There are cases of 12 and 13-year olds taking university classes. I've been in university classes wit a 12-year old. He was brilliant, and did much better than any of the university students!
All students have to pass exams in science.
As I understand - In America as well as in Russia all learn by age. In 1 class-age of 6-7, 2 - 7-8 years, and so on. Not by IQ . I understand correctly

Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
It depends on the skills guys have. Some guys are able to repair autos. Some guys have excellent home repair skills. Again, depends on the person.

Thanks for the reply! In Russia also depends on the person (some have more skills, have someone less) But simple skills have almost everything. Again convinced that we are not such and different

Old 05-24-2012, 04:01 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,267,639 times
myths about USA- everyone is rich and has swimmingpool in the garden, all blacss are criminals, poverty is some places is like 3rd world (not true obviously), everyone is stupid

about russia, its cold all year round, all men are alcoholics

all of these sterotypes are stupid and over exaggerated

Old 05-24-2012, 04:15 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
I grew up with Cold War spy novels, so my perceptions are from the 60s to 80s. Here are my questions: how much has changed in Russia since the end of the Soviet Union? How many people were happy about it? What has changed and what is still the same? What do the Russian people feel caused the end of the Soviet Union?

Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
myths about USA- poverty is some places is like 3rd world (not true obviously),
Some Indian reservations are like this, and some rural Black communities in the South. There are still places with no running water, and no potable water.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I grew up with Cold War spy novels, so my perceptions are from the 60s to 80s. Here are my questions: how much has changed in Russia since the end of the Soviet Union? How many people were happy about it? What has changed and what is still the same? What do the Russian people feel caused the end of the Soviet Union?
Not much has changed, except the top 1% have become extremely rich. There is freedom of opinion to some extent, but elections are still rigged (obviously). A lot of people are angry about the collapse, because it was followed by an economic collapse. In my experience, the people feel Gorbachev caused the end of the USSR, that's as far as their thinking goes. For the average Russian, nothing has changed except that the state isn't able to subsidize services on the same level as before, so people end up paying a lot more for transportation than they used to. On the other hand, there have been some infrastructure improvements--hydroelectric develeopment, which means for the first time, apartment buildings and offices have air conditioners.

The big welcome change is that people are free to travel out of the country. They take vacations all around the world. But salaries for the average worker and university instructor are still at Soviet levels. And no one follows them around when they host foreigners, haha. They're allowed to visit freely with foreigners.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Hi! I asked that in this topic please not about politics and war. But to answer your question, the Reason for the collapse of the Soviet Union In many of the republics has its own (rulers who wanted to rule) but it is also not without the CIA (You know that it was created exactly for this purpose (to undermine the economy and the power of the countries) is Also the reason that Gorbachev and Yeltsin - they just were ringing rulers. What has changed?
If to speak about people and attitude to Americans, it remained practically what was good (evil Russians - it is a myth) Or when there was no hatred of the Russians to American. (It was only competitor) And here is the American education was I think Vice versa (hate Russians, because they want to take America and kill people) Hate can only be to a specific person BUT NOT TO the NATION as a whole. In Russia has changed for the better - something that has no iron curtain - there Is all the information for the people.(Russia has always been a thirst for knowledge of all the world, the people)
1-is it good is the Freedom of word.(and less of lies)
2 - is it good " people can freely travel to other countries.
3 - is it good access to any information and to things produced in other countries (for the better Russian)

1 - bad the young people began to be less valid than ever before.(Youth less than polite)
2 - is it a lot of budgetary organizations (or rather surprising number of people) (such as Tax, police and so on) that do not bring money to the state and live by the population which is working to bring real money.
3-bad of 160-170 million population of Russia. Bring a living income only 20 - 22 per cent of the population.(and the rest live by this percent-that's all the budget of the organization.)

Ask specific questions please! I will answer on how much is enough education.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
myths about USA- everyone is rich and has swimmingpool in the garden, all blacss are criminals, poverty is some places is like 3rd world (not true obviously), everyone is stupid

about russia, its cold all year round, all men are alcoholics

all of these sterotypes are stupid and over exaggerated
The fact that each American pool in the garden is a myth of course, and in Russia it is known (only stupid people think so) In America all the bandits-this is also the myth of this and not think any who
But the fact that (of history) in America escaped many of the bandits of the Europe, it is true and it is so

Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not much has changed, except the top 1% have become extremely rich. There is freedom of opinion to some extent, but elections are still rigged (obviously). A lot of people are angry about the collapse, because it was followed by an economic collapse. In my experience, the people feel Gorbachev caused the end of the USSR, that's as far as their thinking goes. For the average Russian, nothing has changed except that the state isn't able to subsidize services on the same level as before, so people end up paying a lot more for transportation than they used to. On the other hand, there have been some infrastructure improvements--hydroelectric develeopment, which means for the first time, apartment buildings and offices have air conditioners.

The big welcome change is that people are free to travel out of the country. They take vacations all around the world. But salaries for the average worker and university instructor are still at Soviet levels. And no one follows them around when they host foreigners, haha. They're allowed to visit freely with foreigners.
At the expense of infrastructure I slightly disagree. In the USSR the infrastructure was much better than today. Worked all the factories. We could produce all!!! And today it is not under the power of Russia (but I think everything will be all right) When the USSR disintegrated deliberately destroyed the economy and practically the whole infrastructure of over 250 strategic plants .Today Russia is living at the expense of that is left after the Soviet Union and is trying to rise up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World