Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know there are noticeable differences BETWEEN the countries I mentioned, but generally speaking, the social etiquette norms are similar.

Of course many are just nice things to do...some are just cultural e.g. tipping in the US, but not Australia.

For instance men kissing each other on the cheeks is not socially acceptable in these nations, but is in many parts of the world.

Can you think of things which are part of our culture, the 'Anglosphere' section of the Western culture, that you find odd/wouldn't go down well in your country?

For instance I heard making the 'okay' sound is very offensive in Greece or the Middle East, because it implies some is a homosexual.

In some countries shaking hands may not be part of the custom, or shaking hands between men and women (Muslim nations).

In most Asian countries shoes are left at the door of a person's house, and in some showing the soles of the feet is rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,618 times
Well, even though the US is still in the Anglosphere, I've found that there are differences within the Anglosphere.

One thing I've noticed is that even though Americans are known for being rather forward, we still have this overlying culture of being PC and trying not to offend someone. What I have found especially with Brits and Aussies is that they are also direct, but don't take PC into account. I feel like Americans have the most amount of tact.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Well, even though the US is still in the Anglosphere, I've found that there are differences within the Anglosphere.

One thing I've noticed is that even though Americans are known for being rather forward, we still have this overlying culture of being PC and trying not to offend someone. What I have found especially with Brits and Aussies is that they are also direct, but don't take PC into account. I feel like Americans have the most amount of tact.
I heard the UK was WORST for being PC.

We're still PC, but it's less 'policed' here.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 PM

492 posts, read 1,008,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I heard the UK was WORST for being PC.

We're still PC, but it's less 'policed' here.
You know, you're right the more I think about it. As you said, American pc is less enforced than just bred within us. Still, when speaking to Brits, I find the discourse to be more structured and formal, but oddly more warm.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
You know, you're right the more I think about it. As you said, American pc is less enforced than just bred within us. Still, when speaking to Brits, I find the discourse to be more structured and formal, but oddly more warm.
Very interesting observation! Yes, um...yes Brits are more formal, polite, and civilised, while Americans are a bit too casual with their friendliness, but don't see to really care about you.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times
In Russia/parts of Eastern Europe, it's considered rude to smile at strangers. In the U.S., you're expected to have a big fake smile at all times.

Customer service workers (clerks, etc) are polite, but somber and serious and impersonal. From what I understand it's like this in many parts of the world. In the U.S., it's the exact opposite (expected to "be the customers best friend").

Old 06-01-2012, 05:58 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
I find the UK law that a pregnant woman can urinate in a policeman's helmet a bit quaint.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Very interesting observation! Yes, um...yes Brits are more formal, polite, and civilised, while Americans are a bit too casual with their friendliness, but don't see to really care about you.
in ireland , adressing someone as MR is rarely ever part of a friendly chat , formality is reserved for the courtroom

your right about the formal and polite part but i wouldnt nessceserily associate either of those with being civilised , the british have always been urbane gentlemen while at the same time ruthless cold blooded cnuts

ps , i like the english

Old 06-01-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
in ireland , adressing someone as MR is rarely ever part of a friendly chat , formality is reserved for the courtroom

your right about the formal and polite part but i wouldnt nessceserily associate either of those with being civilised , the british have always been urbane gentlemen while at the same time ruthless cold blooded cnuts

ps , i like the english
An iron fist in a velvet glove. That's the impression one get's of the British and Anglo-Saxon society. A society hung up on law and order, punishment, judgement and responsibility, hierarchy, decorum, and 'manners', but only in the sense to keep society in order and everyone in their proper places.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

ps , i like the english
Same here, although 'Mr' is used in professional situations and often to address older people one is not familiar with. It's a generational thing.

Calling people of any age 'mate' is acceptable, and it cuts across social class.etc here. Still a bit strange to call an older lady 'mate', but not uncommon among the young.

Would this be unacceptable/frowned upon in England? Is 'sir' and 'mam' used a lot more there? Sir is occasionally used by service people, but seems to be dying out. The idea that wealthy people be addressed as 'sir' would be rightly met with revulsion here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World