Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 05:32 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why? Why not use your time to learn some useful language instead? Like Spanish.
I've tried at school with Spanish, but I got bored and I couldn't roll my R's and remember the multitude of endings and conjugation plus I wanted to study German instead so I really wasn't ready for Spanish, and I think it's a cool language for singing but I don't like it that much in fact. I learned Korean because of K-pop and Korean drama, one day my sister gave me a Korean manga, translated in French obviously but it got me interested in the culture and it was exactly the same with Japanese, we're big fan of mangas in France, with a great market so it's hard to not want to learn Japanese or something. I don't need to learn a "useful" language (Spanish) because I don't go outside much so I better learn something that interests me than something that a language maybe spoken by a tons of more speakers but which wouldn't be of any use for me.

For me too, a useful language is just a language that you could really use, because you want to, for example, not just mesured by number of speakers, that's why for me Korean, Japanese or German would be more useful than say, Spanish.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 10-09-2015 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:37 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Yeah, figured as much. Well, good look in your studies!

Old 10-10-2015, 05:31 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,225 times
Learning languages is one of the most beautiful things to spend time on

Old 10-10-2015, 08:32 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
You make me so angry, each time, your words, everything, that's just so damn unfair ! You don't even know me, I love linguistics, I study English on my own, I'm able to understand Korean and some Japanese, I love other languages, phonetics, so please, don't assume anything about me. I already told you, yes, I didn't studied Italian, because I don't like it, I'm sorry, I have nothing against you or your people but I can't stand your language for some reason, so I guess that's why I don't want to "see" the apparently so obvious similarities between our languages, I don't like it in fact, languages are separate for a reason, they're unique, I don't understand people who like to say "oh all romance languages are the same or almost the same", no, French is French, French isn't similar to Italian to me, and that's it. I'm stubborn I guess or just plain stupid, I don't care, I'm tired of needing to explain myself to you, all the time when it comes to this, you're like a police of linguistics or something. Now it's okay, I won't say anything more, I'm tired and sad and confused. I would have wanted to say more, make you understand but you don't want to and I'm so, so tired of this.
Calme-toi car je crois que tu dois vraiment relire mon message avant de dire que je te rends furieuse.
J'ai écrit ce message avec les meilleures intentions et, si tu le relit, c'est évident que je ne t'ai pas insultée ou dénigrée.
En Italien ceci serait:
Calmati perché credo che tu debba veramente rileggere il mio messaggio prima di dire che ti rendo furiosa.
Ho scritto quel messaggio con le migliori intenzioni e, se lo rileggi, è evidente come io non ti abbia insultata o denigrata.

Les similarités sont évidentes, parce que toutes les deux langues viennent de la même origine: latin.

En anglais, you can hate Italians, me, my language, that's your opinion and you are entitled to have it.
All romance languages have very close similarities in the same way Danish and Norwegian can be fairly understood by both speakers.
I don't really understand what you got all so upset about: I didn't say "ahaha you stupid don't know Italian", I just said that since you don't speak Italian it's easy that you never caught those similarities, in the same way I could never guess the similarities between Danish and Norwegian as I don't speak either.
I'd never say that "all Romance languages are the same", I said that they are similar because they are.
If you like linguistics, you'll know what a linguistic family is and therefore you'll understand that since both French and Italian belong to the Romance family they'll both share a common root.
Then, keep your opinion but don't expect that on a public forum where you write by your own choice not to have different opinions.
If I wrote "France has murdered 100000000 billions Muslims" (absurd as it is) you'd see all the posters wondering whether I went nuts or something, the same way you can't expect not be answered on a public forum (in English moreover) when the same exact purpose of a forum is to discuss (and to keep up my English).

Quote:
"They would be the same language" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.
I wrote:
Quote:
Obviously they do have differences (subjonctif is much rarer in French, Italian uses differently pronouns, Italians have slightly more standardises conjugation, Italian has much more articles etc), otherwise they would be the same language.
"C'est évident qu'il y a des différences (...), autrement elles seraient la même langue

It's fairly evident you misunderstood what I wrote.
Apologies for the mistakes in the French and English parts, I have little time to keep them up.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Calme-toi car je crois que tu dois vraiment relire mon message avant de dire que je te rends furieuse. Je devrais même pas être là à te répondre, on devrait parler en anglais sauf que là je suis un peu désespérée donc si j'arrive mieux à m'expliquer en français, tant pis, un modo supprimera mon post. Je suis très émotive et ça me fait de la peine, la façon dont tu me parles, je suis pas là pour me faire cyber-détester, je voulais juste m'exprimer mais vu que je le fais mal, ça passe pas.
J'ai écrit ce message avec les meilleures intentions et, si tu le relit, c'est évident que je ne t'ai pas insultée ou dénigrée. Pour moi tu me détestes, c'est comme ça que je le perçois, c'est pas fait exprès, j'aime bien te lire et comme j'ai dit plus-haut, ça me fais de la peine d'être comme ça.
En Italien ceci serait:
Calmati perché credo che tu debba veramente rileggere il mio messaggio prima di dire che ti rendo furiosa.
Ho scritto quel messaggio con le migliori intenzioni e, se lo rileggi, è evidente come io non ti abbia insultata o denigrata.

Les similarités sont évidentes, parce que toutes les deux langues viennent de la même origine: latin. Je sais bien d'où nos deux langues viennent xander, c'est facile de trouver des similitudes et je t'ai déjà expliqué comment je voyais les choses -- tu vois là j'ai l'impression que t'es en colère et c'était pas ce que je voulais, je sais pas comment t'expliquer en fait, donc je vais juste dire que je suis d'accord avec toi comme ça ça fera "dégonfler le soufflé" (ma tête).

En anglais, you can hate Italians, me, my language, that's your opinion and you are entitled to have it. This is really becoming ridiculous, I don't hate you, Italians, I guess you know that plenty, plenty of French people have Italian ancestry, I have nothing against you and I said it already, the only thing I don't like about you is your language, that's all. And I'm not disliking it on purpose, it's just my feeling.
All romance languages have very close similarities in the same way Danish and Norwegian can be fairly understood by both speakers. I don't agree with that, but I'm tired of "arguing" or whatever.
I don't really understand what you got all so upset about: I didn't say "ahaha you stupid don't know Italian", I just said that since you don't speak Italian it's easy that you never caught those similarities, I was angry and sad, please, remember sad too because I'm not an angry person inside -- I got angry this time because you assumed things about me and since I'm who I am, it pained me, that's why, and please, don't tell me, this is internet and all that stuff because we won't agree on this either, you don't know me, I am not you, I'm probably a lot different than what you think of me. in the same way I could never guess the similarities between Danish and Norwegian as I don't speak either.
I'd never say that "all Romance languages are the same", I said that they are similar because they are.
If you like linguistics, you'll know what a linguistic family is and therefore you'll understand that since both French and Italian belong to the Romance family they'll both share a common root.
Then, keep your opinion but don't expect that on a public forum where you write by your own choice not to have different opinions. I'm not expecting anyone to agree on everything I said, it's another thing that make me sad you know, the way you speak to me, condescending, paternal in a not so gentle way. I'm here because it's the only life I have, the only way I can interact with people, I'm here to share, not here to be a troll or expecting to change other's people views or anything. I'm happy to learn about other people, what they think, but sometimes, people crossed the line and I don't react well, like you may notice by now.
If I wrote "France has murdered 100000000 billions Muslims" (absurd as it is) you'd see all the posters wondering whether I went nuts or something, the same way you can't expect not be answered on a public forum (in English moreover) when the same exact purpose of a forum is to discuss (and to keep up my English). I don't understand what I did wrong here...

I wrote:

"C'est évident qu'il y a des différences (...), autrement elles seraient la même langue

It's fairly evident you misunderstood what I wrote. I'm going to say yes like that we can all be at peace.
Apologies for the mistakes in the French and English parts, I have little time to keep them up.
I'm really tired now and don't understand what's going on on this board sometimes....

Old 10-10-2015, 10:25 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
You make me so angry, each time, your words, everything, that's just so damn unfair ! You don't even know me, I love linguistics, I study English on my own, I'm able to understand Korean and some Japanese, I love other languages, phonetics, so please, don't assume anything about me. I already told you, yes, I didn't studied Italian, because I don't like it, I'm sorry, I have nothing against you or your people but I can't stand your language for some reason, so I guess that's why I don't want to "see" the apparently so obvious similarities between our languages, I don't like it in fact, languages are separate for a reason, they're unique, I don't understand people who like to say "oh all romance languages are the same or almost the same", no, French is French, French isn't similar to Italian to me, and that's it. I'm stubborn I guess or just plain stupid, I don't care, I'm tired of needing to explain myself to you, all the time when it comes to this, you're like a police of linguistics or something. Now it's okay, I won't say anything more, I'm tired and sad and confused. I would have wanted to say more, make you understand but you don't want to and I'm so, so tired of this.

"They would be the same language" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.
It's not that serious, calm down. Lol

I understand what you mean though about romance languages- I speak Spanish, learned French and Portuguese. They are all quite different IMO.

I know there are some words and tenses that are similar, but pronunciation and other things are different.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
It's not that serious, calm down. Lol
It's very serious for me, I'm calm now, in fact I'm really not okay right now.

Quote:
I understand what you mean though about romance languages- I speak Spanish, learned French and Portuguese. They are all quite different IMO.

I know there are some words and tenses that are similar, but pronunciation and other things are different.
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to express.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:48 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
It's very serious for me, I'm calm now, in fact I'm really not okay right now.

Thank you for understanding what I was trying to express.
The internet is not the real world- go for a walk, connect with nature.

These conversations are with strangers, and should only be a short-term distraction. Do not ever let what someone says online affect you so much.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
The internet is not the real world- go for a walk, connect with nature.

These conversations are with strangers, and should only be a short-term distraction. Do not ever let what someone says online affect you so much.
I can't go outside, internet is my only life. I go outside when I go to the hospital, it's my only contact with "the real world".

Well, nevermind, c'est la vie.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:48 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
those living outside of Metro Manila know at least 2 languages/dialects, Tagalog and the dialect spoken in their provinces + if they reached college, im pretty sure they know how to speak English too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
languages, not dialects. The languages in the Philippines are as different as Spanish & English, or English & German. Dialects would be like Manila Tagalog vs Batangas Tagalog
What is it that Max Weinreich said " a language is a dialect with a national army"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World