Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:53 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times

Advertisements

Not Australia its common knowledge that everyone who flys the flag there is racist. Now lets ignore the fact That half the population is an immigrant or the child of an immigrant

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-02-2012 at 05:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 05:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Not Australia its common knowledge that everyone who flys the flag there is racist. Now lets ignore the fact That half the population is an immigrant or the child of an immigrant
Some may think that, I don't really think that way, although I'm guessing such a person probably isn't 'soft on immigrants.'

I suppose it's the same as the Southern Cross Tattoo...unfortunately, the Cronulla riots tarnished the flag a bit, in my opinion, with the mob violence, although maybe it simply revealed that flag-wavers were kind of racists?

Maybe Australia day is the only time when everyone proudly and visibly flies/wears the flag.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:50 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,861 times
Very rare to see individuals display the flag in India. Usually only seen outside Government offices, schools, sports events, etc. Till a few years back, it was not allowed for private citizens to fly the flag except on National holidays.

In fact, here is an account of one man's crusade to be allowed to fly the flag:
http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/jun/13spec.htm

Last edited by asubram3; 06-02-2012 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 AM

497 posts, read 1,429,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You just validated what I said in my post.....flag waving is seen as extremist and too nationalistic in Europe, especially on the continent. It IS to do with pan-Europeanism because you can't have a "United States of Europe" if people keep waving their national flag around and that still stirs up feelings of nationalism

No, just the other way around. People that hate flag waving are people that HATE "Empires". Some Western European countries had/have this tendency to construct phony and deranged empires extracted from the mind of some führer/ducce/caudillo.

There will never be a United States of Europe. As they say in Spanish, "we will see United States of Europe when frogs grow hair".

It would be crazy..."United States of Europe" with a German, French or Italian president, not again.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM

244 posts, read 592,560 times
In my experience the US is the most overt in public and private displays of the flag...the stars and stripes are way to common of a site, and often displayed in a very aggressively and intentionally out-of-place. In MOST of Europe displaying the flag out of a personal space would be generally considered too nationalistic, some would even say embarrassing. In the Netherlands for example, it would be looked down upon unless there was a national sporting event or it was queensday or something...I distinctly remember how offended a group of my dutch friends were when we saw someone hang a dutch flag outside their bedroom window , as would an american do...they went on and on about it, and how "un-dutch" it was haha. Then speaking for Italy, I equally cannot imagine someone proudly displaying the tricolore without a sporting purpose behind it. It would be far more common to see a display of a regional, provincial, comune, or neighbourhood flag for that matter. The tricolore is plastered all over brand names and designer clothing, but i think this is meant more for international appeal and to sell the "italian brand". If one were to display a flag outside their personal space, I think most people wouldn't think too much about it or get offended, they would either just think it was weird or jokingly mutter "fascisti" under their breath.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:11 AM

497 posts, read 1,429,996 times
GiolM

I think that Americans have another concept, they use flags for everything and they don't do it as a ultranationalistic act. Some used car dealers have flags everywhere and they might use any flag. There are malls, supermarkets with flags, people with flag posts at their homes.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:45 AM

244 posts, read 592,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
GiolM

I think that Americans have another concept, they use flags for everything and they don't do it as a ultranationalistic act. Some used car dealers have flags everywhere and they might use any flag. There are malls, supermarkets with flags, people with flag posts at their homes.
I know this, I am from california. I would say that much of this display is very nationalistic in intention and nature...there is a large amount of americans who are hyper-patriotic, and they make it very clear. At my younger brothers high school graduation a few weeks ago in a more suburban central califonian town, people had come with not only flowers and gifts for the high school graduates, but also flags (american flags) to wave around during the ceremony. Before the ceremony started the national anthem was sung accompanied by two massive star spangled banners, and they actually recited the pledge of allegiance...many people in the crowd were shouting, getting emotional, and strangely passionate about all the patriotic rituals...it is strange, and for me it is unsettling (sometimes it's so ridiculous it is funny)...i tend to forget how this is still very much apart of the general american society, and for me it doesn't just come off as just an innocent cultural norm.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:16 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
You see hardly any flags in Germany except every 2 years for football (worldcup, European cup). Then you can see lots of German flags, but also Turkish, Italian, French, etc. ones.
I see the Bayern flag outside of my window every day (landlord has a flag pole) except when there is a soccer match then the German flag flies; when their kids who live in Switzerland visit, the Swiss flag flies; or today, I returned from a 3+ week holiday, the US flag is flown.

There's a big soccer match coming up, Poland was flag waving everywhere in support of their sports team.

I was in Norway for their national day, and there were flags everywhere. Not normally flown.

I've been wearing a Canadian flag on my backpacks for 4 decades.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:50 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,415 times
In Belgium, the national tricolore (Black-Yellow-Red) can mostly be seen in Wallonia and Brussels (especially when there's yet another political crisis). In Flanders, you'll see more Flemish flags (a black lion on a yellow surface) than Belgian flags. But still it's nothing compared to the quantity of flags displayed in other nations.

Like in other western European countries, it can also be seen when the national football team is participating in a big tournament (unfortunately, that's been ten years ago already - sigh )

Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketanco View Post
in the US you can see the flag everywhere. [...] I think the reason is, being a very young nation, US wants to create a sense of nationality.
You may be onto something here. Norway, an old nation but young in its independence is also very fond of flying its colors. Many homes, especially cabins and vacation homes have a flag pole. Not just a bracket on the wall but a standing pole. The Constitution Day parade on May 17th is a riot of red, white, and blue.

In addition to being young, Norway is also quite small (about the size of Brooklyn in population) and thus maintaining their identity is an important trait in their social psychology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World