Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Middle Easterners are considered of the 'Caucasoid' type regardless of skin colour. Some Yemenis are as dark as the typical African American but have the same facial features as Europeans. Same goes for Indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:24 AM

190 posts, read 706,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a good question. So Semitic peoples are a branch of Indo-European? What else would they be? I guess that's right.
No, indoeuropean is not the same as caucasian, indoeuropeans and semites are different branches of "caucasian", wich is a racial lebel to describe a type of phenotype (pale skin, straight nasal angle, little cheekbones, thin lips, abundant facial hair...) This does not mean that all who share that physiognomy originated in the Caucasus. Indo-Europeans were originally nomadic people from central Asia-india region and around 3000 BC settled in the Caucasus and the area of Ukraine (i can be wrong)and expanded for the rest of europe. Indoeuropean has a more linguistic sense; all european languages ​​come from the same branch that is related to sanskirt (india) or avestan (Iran)which is where it is assumed that these people came ; Ex:
Avestan: Pita
Sanskrit: Pita
Greek: Pater
Latin: Pater
German: Vater
Eng: Father
Irish: athair
Semitic are ethnically and linguistically Middle Eastern.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Middle Easterners are considered of the 'Caucasoid' type regardless of skin colour. Some Yemenis are as dark as the typical African American but have the same facial features as Europeans. Same goes for Indians.
There are others in the Maghreb, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Palestine, Yemen and the Gulf States who are obvious descendants of Africans. I have also met Indians/Pakistanis who are heavily African in appearance (Siddi? Makrani?).

Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There are others in the Maghreb, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Palestine, Yemen and the Gulf States who are obvious descendants of Africans. I have also met Indians/Pakistanis who are heavily African in appearance (Siddi? Makrani?).
Africa is the most genetically diverse continent of all. So yes, while these people are Africans they are a far cry from the West Africans many typically associate as 'black Africans.' Even the dark-skinned Kenyans have a totally different bone-structure/body type to someone from the Ivory Coast. For instance, they tend to be very tall, lanky, with fair sharp noses with more pronounced cheek-bones and sunken eyes, with the West Africans are more heavily built, with lower nose bridges and flatter, broader noises.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Indian and pakistanis??? No way¡ they don´t have "black" complexion at all. Same goes for the rest except the north africans (Egypt, Morocco...) who can have some mix (some of them, some other clearly not) The guy who said that the Berbers were black obviously doesn´t know many of them. I know several Moroccan berbers and they are white, others moroccans are more arabized or have more subsaharian influence. Africa is very big.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Africa is the most genetically diverse continent of all. So yes, while these people are Africans they are a far cry from the West Africans many typically associate as 'black Africans.' Even the dark-skinned Kenyans have a totally different bone-structure/body type to someone from the Ivory Coast. For instance, they tend to be very tall, lanky, with fair sharp noses with more pronounced cheek-bones and sunken eyes, with the West Africans are more heavily built, with lower nose bridges and flatter, broader noises.
I think that while people understand that West Africans and East Africans are quite different in appearance, most still see both as black Africans, just as southern Italians or Portuguese from the Algarve are different from Russians or Swedes in appearance, but all are considered white Europeans.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post
Indian and pakistanis??? No way¡ they don´t have "black" complexion at all.
Actually, some of the blackest people on Earth are in India, both of native Dravidian origins and more recent (from 16th century on) African origins. As well, the Makrani of Pakistan are of definite African ancestry.

Quote:
Same goes for the rest except the north africans (Egypt, Morocco...) who can have some mix (some of them, some other clearly not) The guy who said that the Berbers were black obviously doesn´t know many of them. I know several Moroccan berbers and they are white, others moroccans are more arabized or have more subsaharian influence. Africa is very big.
Yes. Africa is very big, as is its Diaspora. There are black African descendants all over this world, including the places I mentioned earlier. The fact that you haven't seen them doesn't change that fact.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I think that while people understand that West Africans and East Africans are quite different in appearance, most still see both as black Africans, just as southern Italians or Portuguese from the Algarve are different from Russians or Swedes in appearance, but all are considered white Europeans.

Isn´t the same case. A north african is closest phenotypically to an european than a subsaharian african. ¿Or do you consider that these persons (actors from the film "the source"(most frech of algerian origin)) are are physically close to a Nigerian?
http://www.ivid.it/fotogallery/image...3_jpg_htcf.jpg
http://static1.puretrend.com/article...en-637x0-3.jpg
http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...de-637x0-3.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...©sars_2011.jpg

Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post
Isn´t the same case. A north african is closest phenotypically to an european than a subsaharian african. ¿Or do you consider that these persons (actors from the film "the source"(most frech of algerian origin)) are are physically close to a Nigerian?
I did not compare North Africans to anyone; I compared West Africans to East Africans. You do realize, though, that there indeed are those in North Africa who are closer to sub-Saharan people than to Europeans.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Actually, some of the blackest people on Earth are in India, both of native Dravidian origins and more recent (from 16th century on) African origins. As well, the Makrani of Pakistan are of definite African ancestry.

Yes. Africa is very big, as is its Diaspora. There are black African descendants all over this world, including the places I mentioned earlier. The fact that you haven't seen them doesn't change that fact.
Interesting, I did not know there were many Africans in India at all? What's the history behind that? Were they North Africans or Sub-Saharan?

I'm aware of the fairly large Indian diaspora in both East and South Africa though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World