Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was hoping to poll people in other countries about whether or not they felt they would be safer if they had a handgun to protect themselves, or if they felt perfectly safe without arming themselves. Are criminals in other countries able to buy guns, and if so, do citizens worry about their safety because of that? I'm told that in England, knives are used by criminal elements, rather than guns. Also, most British police don't carry guns. Do British citizens feel safe?

This isn't about how to disarm Americans. I'm curious about the safety question, mainly. And the odd freedom issue someone raised on the Politics forum.
As a person who has lived in Europe, Asia, and South America for 12+ years. The consistent answer every single time is always to be 'no', every single time. I've seldom heard a citizen of another country ever say 'yes'.

That being said. I taught in Korea, and my adult students had to argue a belief that they had. One Korean advocated guns in Korea, as he observed that people in the United States drove better than in Korea, and he argued that it had to be because of guns. Now, I don't agree with his opinion.....but....

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-09-2012 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 08:20 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times
It's probably contextual. For example, if you lived in a society where there was a threat of violence or ongoing violence, and people around you carried firearms, but you did not have one, then it would become something of a liberty issue.

Otherwise, it really just recedes into irrelevance.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:26 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
BEING Canadian with restrictions of hand gun ownership...I kind of admire America and their gun culture- They don't need weapons to be free- BUT what would be interesting - would be some nation or group of nations attempting to invade America- or a corrupt government trying to take down the civil population...It would be one hell of a war...No nation would even think of sending troops into the states- The people would snipe them into oblivion The only way to take down AMERICA would be to nuke it- and that is not going to happen.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post

That's probably the silliest comparison I've ever read.

You're making the absurd assumption that every individual US gun owner will act in lockstep if given orders to exterminate the rest of the world. Do you really believe that would happen? And, on the opposite side, do you really believe that those in control in Iran need the approval of a huge number of Iranians to deliver a nuclear weapon if they so desired?

I'm not sure how it's not possible to miss the difference between a large number of individuals holding a small amount of destructive power each and a small group holding a large amount of power.

OK, let's analyze your presumptions.

1. You're implying that when America rounds up farm boys and sends them to Vietnam or Iraq (or even Panama or Grenada) with orders to shoot people to kill, most of them refuse to go and we have a hard time mustering up a few companies of trained killers. It's absurd to think they would act in lock step.

2. You're implying that the majority of people in Iran do not want nuclear technology, nor the capacity to defend themselves from foreign devils who call them the axis of evil. It's absurd to think they want that, but they have it forced upon them.

I'm sorry, I disagree with you.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,940,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, let's analyze your presumptions.

1. You're implying that when America rounds up farm boys and sends them to Vietnam or Iraq (or even Panama or Grenada) with orders to shoot people to kill, most of them refuse to go and we have a hard time mustering up a few companies of trained killers. It's absurd to think they would act in lock step.

2. You're implying that the majority of people in Iran do not want nuclear technology, nor the capacity to defend themselves from foreign devils who call them the axis of evil. It's absurd to think they want that, but they have it forced upon them.

I'm sorry, I disagree with you.

1. There was a huge anti-war movement in regards to both those wars. Surely you're aware of them. I find it mind boggling that you picked two wars that likely had the largest anti-war movements attached to them to try to argue that the American public acts in lock step.

2. You're missing the point entirely. There's no argument about whether they want or need anything. I'm arguing that the Iranian people will have no say in when or how it's used. That's entirely different than a group of individuals with their own weapons, making their own decisions.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:36 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But who is pushing this? What could the hidden agenda possibly be??!? This is scary!
No conspiracy, just ordinary people, who'd like to carry guns, and fool themselves, and then others, into believing that this often leads to the decrease of crime.

Example: one guns proponent on a local forum used Moldavia to prove the point. Soon after guns were allowed there, crime rate dropped dramatically. A few numbers from Google with an explanation - and he admitted his wrong. Gun ownership couldn't possibly have an impact, because there were only a few hundres guns, owned by the rich.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Russia does not allow legal pritvate ownership of Hunting rifles or Shotguns? or are we talking hi-capacity handguns and assault rifles?
Hunting weapons are allowed, but you can't carry them around in ready to fire condition, or use for self-defense.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I was driveing/rideing around Omsk @10yrs ago and some guys in uniforms armed with Krinkov submachine guns pulled us over and levied a "fine" There's freedom for you
You mean AKSU assault rifle, used by police? I bet this "fine" was a fine for breaking some driving rules. Compare this to fines in Europe (or current Russia), and you'll reconsider your opinion about freedom in (that, anarchial) Russia

Old 06-10-2012, 03:55 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,182,337 times
I think freedom is kind of like infinity, it doesn't exist but you can get closer and closer to it forever.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
You mean AKSU assault rifle, used by police? I bet this "fine" was a fine for breaking some driving rules. Compare this to fines in Europe (or current Russia), and you'll reconsider your opinion about freedom in (that, anarchial) Russia
Yes, thats what I mean....We paid it on the spot.......I'd never paid a speeding ticket at gun point before, we didn't even get a chance to argue with the cop! I actually had a great visit to Russia that year, found my 3rd cousins in a village outside Omsk!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World