Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Hmm thought i´d comment on this, well from my experiences in living in different countries here is my view on:

America, the vast majority of the people think its necessary to own a handgun for defence and if you don´t your considered "abnormal". I can understand now why people think like this, gun crime is rife and I remember hearing on the news at least once a week that there was a homicide (by firearms). Furthermore I would often venture out on my own without a gun in the truck and go to walmart and friends would warn me about parking at the front of the store in case of being shot by African Americans (also found that very racist). I also did not feel safe as it seems to be the norm for people to apply for CCW and to carry in vehicles, its like people are living in fear, something that is not thought of where I come from which is Scotland.

Scotland: In my country it does not enter the minds of people to think about owning a firearm for protection, the culture and attitude is very different and we do not need to leave the house carrying a weapon on our person. I had that mindset in Mississippi and people thought I was crazy and i´d end up raped or shot because I did not have a gun on my person. Also every American I spoke to in MS thought Scotland was the same as there.

Spain: Similar to Scotland, i´ve spoke to many people about this and they feel its madness to be armed to go shopping, traveling in the car - basically in general, they do not feel threatened or live in fear. In Spain also gun crime is very low and the majority of crimes are petty for example pickpocking, I go out running in the evening and never ever feel scared (in the back of my mind) like I did in the US, perhaps because the nature of the crimes and the attitudes of the people are like chalk and cheese. I felt like I had to own a gun in the US which I did, eventually because there was always a threat of someone carjacking (rare here), robbing me (also rare here) or shooting me (also rare here). My ex also carried a gun too and seemed to be a normal way of life, for me I felt like there was a problem for people to feel like that. Just to clarify I currently own firearms and its purely for recreational use, but I would never think of using them for defense even if it was legal, the chances of me being shot in Spain are like 0. I think if you´ve never been to these countries you cannot possibly see for your own eyes to understand how different it is.

I think it all boils down to culture and mindset, I would hate for people to be armed here I could just imagine petty arguments turning into shootouts when people lose it, or drunks pulling out a gun or even kids in schools or in malls, that would be the next thing you´d hear, just like what happens in the USA.

I am happy to be living in Spain without the fear in the back of my mind of being shot thanks.
People take guns shopping? Knowing how aggro Aussies can get, I'm so glad things aren't like that here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
People take guns shopping? Knowing how aggro Aussies can get, I'm so glad things aren't like that here!
Yes in MS CCW Conceal to carry is legal like in most states.

I wouldn´t like to encounter a drunk person who had a grievance with me and had a CCW permit.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:09 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
You have too! Some of the old ladies around here will take you out if you get in their way in the store!!!!!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:17 AM

I could imagine there being lots of murders here and in Italy if CCW was legal!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
here is my Canadian POV on American Gun culture is like Canadas Hockey Culture it is built into the fabric of our nations and part of the mind set of our Countries but hard to understand from another country looking in on it.

Also in both countries Illegal guns are used in 99% of gun related offences...Well Legal Gun owners are about gun saftey and education and how to operate, carry, clean, maintain and secure their firearms the right way in a safe mannor and make up 1% of Gun Realted offenses.

And a hockey Riot in Canada can make a city look like a war zone without any firearms involved

Old 06-10-2012, 11:25 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is one thing I'm trying to determine. Do people feel that freedom from fear about crime, knowing one doesn't need a gun for self-protection, is real freedom? Or is the freedom to carry a concealed weapon an inherent part of freedom?
Well here is the thing; if you come to someone's land and you want this land in order to implement your plans, you will want to have a gun to keep the indigenous people at bay. If you set the plantations with slave labor, you'll want the gun to protect yourself from slaves' revenge, and if you ( out of your sense of individuality) want to set your farm/house at a distance from others, you want to have a gun to keep the robbers away, because your neighbors are too far away to help you in case of robbery. And the last but not least - if you want to keep your competitors at bay, ( because it's all about sense of freedom and individuality - remember?) you better have your gun just in case.
All this is an inseparable part of American culture, it never really went away, in spite of the fact that democracy and liberal ideas came later in time. And since the original part of mentality that in many ways laid the foundation of American society is still alive and well ( just look at the Tea-party people for example,) the gun ownership will always remain the inseparable part of American culture.
Europe has different background and different history, that's why gun ownership is a totally different issue for Europeans.

Quote:
"Freedom: the absence of coercion, necessity or constraint in choosing a course of action; political independence" (From Mirriam-Webster online dictionary)
There is no such thing as "absence of coercion" when one lives in a society, not on some desert island.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:26 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I could imagine there being lots of murders here and in Italy if CCW was legal!
Yeah, to be honest I would not want to meet a drunk person I didn't even know let alone one who dislikes me. I would feel uneasy around a person I knew or even liked with a gun.. they just creep me out.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, to be honest I would not want to meet a drunk person I didn't even know let alone one who dislikes me. I would feel uneasy around a person I knew or even liked with a gun.. they just creep me out.
I totally understand where your coming from. I say leave the guns in America, and I say this in the nicest possible way and I am not trying to offend any Americans here but I can understand why they have the guns but there are big issues there with illegal guns but where I am it´s simply not the case plus we do not need to leave the house with a gun to feel safe, we don´t have to take these type of "precautions" as they used to call it. Legal or not, it´s very different here.

I remember my ex was totally culture shocked visiting Scotland at how different the attitudes were here.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:57 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
im not someone who holds much trust in the state so by and large im in favour of gun ownership

however , there appears to be a problem in the usa when it comes to vetting people , you dont get mass shootings in canada , australia or new zealand where gun ownership is high

Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
I have not seen any mention of Switzerland in this discussion? Everyone has guns there!!
Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In some 2001 statistics, it is noted that there are about 420,000 assault rifles stored at private homes, mostly SIG SG 550 types. Additionally, there are some 320,000 semi-auto rifles and military pistols exempted from military service in private possession, all selective-fire weapons having been converted to semi-automatic operation only. In addition, there are several hundred thousand other semi-automatic small arms classified as carbines. The total number of firearms in private homes is estimated minimally at 1.2 million to 3 million.[9]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World