Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaysis View Post
What does gun ownership have to do with freedom? If you feel the need to carry a deadly weapon around, obviously you're living in fear or a state of paranoia and are therefore not free at all.
It is the freedom to be able to do so.
Trust me - Texas is one of the US states with the tightest carry-laws in the US; tighter then some European countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM

54 posts, read 109,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It is the freedom to be able to do so.
Trust me - Texas is one of the US states with the tightest carry-laws in the US; tighter then some European countries.
What about my freedom to not want to live in a society where so many people feel the need to be armed, unless for hunting purposes?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 AM

750 posts, read 907,935 times
I don't represent as to live in society in which the weapon considered two inch penknife or a plastic toy.
Without offenses, I have no anything personally against you, but I think that paranoia wil bring unhealthy tendency.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,757 times
Quote:
What about my freedom to not want to live in a society where so many people feel the need to be armed, unless for hunting purposes?
I believe you already do have that option, just stay right where you are. Keep in mind, not all of us want that though.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
I think the current situation in Austria is quite good. There are basically 4 categories of weapons:

Category A (forbidden weapons and war material (military guns, ...)): weapons with silencers, fully automatic guns; generally forbidden. I think that's quite good, nobody needs silencers or automatic guns to ensure personal safety.

Category B (handguns and other semiautomatic guns/rifles): you need a special permission (Waffenbesitzkarte) to have one at home and another one to carry it with you (Waffenpass).
You get a Waffenbesitzkarte after passing a psychological test and when you have a reason for owning a gun (personal safety, sports, hunting). You get a Waffenpass, when you need your weapon for hunting or because of your occupation (police, security firms, but also taxi drivers).

Category C (bolt-, lever- or pump action): All Austrian citizens aged 18 or over can freely buy and own this type of weapon, but ownership has to be registered at a licensed dealer or gunsmith within 6 weeks of purchase. You have to get a Waffenpass to carry it in public.

Category D (non-repeating shotguns): Again, every Austrian or EEA citizen at the age of 18+ can buy and own this type of weapon without further registration or permission.

So, it's quite easy to get a weapon, but hardly anyone gets one, except hunters.

Besides that, I don't think that gun ownership is a sign or feature of freedom. It's rather depressing when everybody on the street is allowed to carry one and to know, that a good portion of society is, simply put, crazy. I also don't feel that our government is so dangerous that I have to defend myself from them. The possibility of running into a psychopath with a gun in a country with rather liberal gun ownership law seems to be higher than the establishment of another fascist regime, that oppresses its people.

If I wouldn't have read this thread on C-D, it wouldn't even have crossed my mind to connect gun ownership with the idea of personal freedom.

Last edited by viribusunitis; 11-05-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM

54 posts, read 109,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
I believe you already do have that option, just stay right where you are. Keep in mind, not all of us want that though.
I plan to.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
I plan to.
Well, then. Problem sorted Few of us in the US are scared to go out in public, and the vast majority of Brits that come visit and live here (ironically, so many choose to live in the southern states where gun laws are the most lax) aren't scared either, and chances are you walked past someone that is carrying a pistol in their pocket. It's just an afterthought to most of us here.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
I did quick research and found Finland allows the sale and possession of sound suppressors (or silencers as the man on the street calls them) to be quite easy. Not so easy to get one in the US, I'm surprised Finland would let people get them so easily.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM

750 posts, read 907,935 times
Quote:
The possibility of running into a psychopath with a gun in a country with rather liberal gun ownership law seems to be higher than the establishment of another fascist regime, that oppresses its people.
Not absolutely so - statistically the probability of running a psychopath with the firearm is much less, than probability to meet the ordinary robber. The difference what cases with psychopaths have a big resonance in the press, but cases of usual assaults is made in tens (hundreds, thousands? - in the different countries on a miscellaneous) times more.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
Not absolutely so - statistically the probability of running a psychopath with the firearm is much less, than probability to meet the ordinary robber. The difference what cases with psychopaths have a big resonance in the press, but cases of usual assaults is made in tens (hundreds, thousands? - in the different countries on a miscellaneous) times more.
Yeah, right. But what's the deal. Just hand over your wallet and in most cases (at least in Austria) an armed robber would just take your money and head off. Damage? ~50 bucks.
Pull a weapon and expect some stabbing/shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World