Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

An interesting question has come up in one of the Politics discussions. Bear with me, this is a typical Yank question, but I'm interested in getting others' opinion on it. One of our members defines "freedom" as the right to carry a gun. If you're not allowed to carry a gun, you're not "free". It seems to me that the more important freedom is the freedom from worry for your physical integrity. If you don't have to worry about being the victim of a violent crime, or a violent accident for that matter, as some children have accidentally shot playmates with their parents' gun, that is true freedom.

What are the gun laws in your country? Do you feel less "free" because you're not allowed to carry a concealed weapon with you during the day? We're talking about pistols, not hunting rifles. I assume each country allows hunters to have guns, and has some sort of requirement that they be registered. Would you carry a hand-gun if you were allowed to? Do you think the citizens of your country should be allowed to carry hand-guns, or would that cause more problems than it would solve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,531 times
For me it's: you are free to do whatever you please, as long as it doesn't harm others. Gun ownership statistically does quite a bit of harm, so I object it completely.

For self-defense I'd rather carry a nice multi-shot stun-gun. Too bad demand for them is too low, and really nice guns are not made.

At least I've got a very cool machete, featured in the Walking Dead series

Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I feel free being able to walk the streets without fearing I'll be shot down by some drunken idiot.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:00 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I feel free being able to walk the streets without fearing I'll be shot down by some drunken idiot.
That's the reason for current debates in Russia about traumatic (rubber bullets) weapons, that may (and do) kill. And some people want to allow firearms...

Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I don't want to see anyone with a gun thanks..

Old 06-09-2012, 11:32 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Gun ownership has little to do with freedom, IMO. In many ways, you can also argue that a society that promotes gun ownership and cultivates fear is not a free society at all, especially when many people feel like they HAVE to own a gun to feel safe, even within their own homes.

To Americans: you have to understand that in those countries with tough gun laws, most people in those countries don't want guns and guns, or gun ownership is just not that important to them. Their "freedom" is to not have to live in a society in which you feel the need to be armed.

To me, freedom is being able to be yourself, to express yourself and to live your life and to have opportunities, regardless of what social class you were born into or your physical appearance. In the US, it is unfortunate that many people refer only to the government as a threat to personal freedom. Far more of a threat is society as a whole and the pressures that it exerts on people to conform, while any deviations from the norm are shunned and people are outcasted. A society in which so many people cannot adopt a "live and let live" approach is not a free society.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
That's the reason for current debates in Russia about traumatic (rubber bullets) weapons, that may (and do) kill. And some people want to allow firearms...
Russians allowed to carry concealed firearms, yeah, that's just what Russia needs. Ordinary citizens with guns. Now that would be real-life Russian roulette. Russians can't even enjoy a beach safely without drowning due to alcohol, and now someone is saying they should have guns? Whose bright idea is this, pray tell?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
I have never been in a situation where I needed a gun. I do not live in a ghetto or war zone.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:04 PM

985 posts, read 1,854,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do you feel less "free" because you're not allowed to carry a concealed weapon with you during the day?
No, on the contrary. I feel more free knowing I can safely go anywhere without the risk of somebody possibly carrying a gun and using it.

Quote:
Would you carry a hand-gun if you were allowed to?
No

Quote:
Do you think the citizens of your country should be allowed to carry hand-guns.
No, what for? There is no threat to our lives and therefore no need for protection.

Quote:
or would that cause more problems than it would solve?
Which problems would that solve? None. As Russiaonline already said, statistics prove otherwise. Being able to carry guns clearly lead to using them eventually.

There is no need to carry (or use) hand-guns in any civilised region in the world. This is my German view which - I believe - is what most other people share.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Since this is the World Forum, let me pose this question. Is freedom for an individual within a nation to be defined in the same way as freedom for a nation within the global community? If so, how do you call it freedom for every American to have a state-of-the-art lethal weapon, but Iran is to be denied freedom to possess defensive weaponry?

The American people, collectively, have in their private personal arsenals enough weaponry and ammunition to kill every single inhabitant of the planet. That is a weapon of mass destruction. Meanwhile, the Iranian people, collectively, want to have one single weapon capable of deterring an enemy attack. You call that terrorism. When you throw around words like terrorism and WMDs, and you have a couple of dogs in the fight (for example, you are an American and a gun owner), you have rendered the language useless for intelligent conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World