Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times

Advertisements

Germans were some of the most enthusiastic participants dating back decades ago. French rather keen also. From what I gather it has declined in popularity somewhat these days.

In Australia the only nude beach I've been largely consists of Gay men. But then tanning is long out of fashion with Australians, rather fearful of sun and cancer.

For pursuits of a rather more exotic nature without clothes on then England is the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 02:04 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
We have at least one nude beach here on Long Island (New York, USA) and it is frequented almost exclusively by gay men.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
We have a nice nude beach surrounding the University of British Columbia in Vancouver and adults of all ages and genders are found there. It's a rather celebrated and beautiful beach. In general, however, I'd say Canadians are pretty shy about public nudity and it doesn't happen very much.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
When you say nudity, I'm assuming you mean public nudity.

The United States is intolerant of it, for the most part. Southern California does NOT tolerate it, but Northern California does, with nude beaches being fairly common on the central and north coast (Brrrrr). There is a nudist section on Miami Beach called Haulover, presumably to accommodate travelers from more liberal parts of the world, and the US. Hey, if there's a dollar to be made...

In the Mediterranean, you get the typical Southern European Catholic/Greek Orthodox mentality of "live and let live" and "we're all saved anyway." The Mediterranean countries know what side their bread is buttered on (Euros), and just look the other way while the tourists party on.
Blacks is a nude beach in San Diego. I used to take girls there on dates all the time because it made fun people watching. And yeah, mostly old, gay, and ugly people went all out but sometimes you'd catch some pretty young girls doing it (and once my date was all for it and got naked on her own).

Catholic Latin America doesn't tolerate it. I see a lot of them even in one pieces or shirts when you get to Mexico.

Southern Europe has a lot of topless beaches. I never saw that many nude beaches there though I know they exist.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:49 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
It's not that big of a deal here, people aren't very prudish when it comes to nudity and sexuality. I remember when "nipplegate" happened (Janet Jackson at the Superbowl) nobody understood what the fuss was all about, lol. If something like that happened here, people would just shrug their shoulders and move on.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Why is that such a big deal for some???
Maps and info:
Nudist Beach Guide to the World for Naturists and Nudists
Clothing Optional (aka Nude or Naturist) Beaches
List of social nudity places in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia nudity paces in (almost?) every European country
Naturism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-20-2012, 04:51 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
I had a friend who went to Europe and said even the Saunas are coed. Here even guys where swimsuits in the sauna and its consider homosexual to be naked in front of other guys.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 AM

98 posts, read 276,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
It's not that big of a deal here, people aren't very prudish when it comes to nudity and sexuality. I remember when "nipplegate" happened (Janet Jackson at the Superbowl) nobody understood what the fuss was all about, lol. If something like that happened here, people would just shrug their shoulders and move on.
LindavG, I like to move in your country.

There's a nude beach that's exclusive for lesbians only between the ages of 21 to 29. It's called CityNomad's Backyard.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Complete public nudity is very rare in the U.S., and associated with weirdos and perverts. Even "nudists" are a somewhat suspect group. There are "social nudity places" in the United States, too, but the people who go to them are perceived as a bit strange, to say the least.

The minimum acceptable clothing on most U.S. beaches is a bikini top and bottom (not thong or G-string), which is often worn. However, an increasing number of girls seem to be covering up more, wearing, for example, shorts and a halter top - which wouldn't appear overly indecent on the street on a hot day. Males normally wear swimming trunks to the beach, which often reach below the knees. Speedos are thought of as "gay".

In the parts of Mexico I've been to, dress at the "river" for bathing is more conservative - usually shirts and shorts for males and females alike, kind of like 1930. But you increasingly see American-style swimsuits.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Complete public nudity is very rare in the U.S., and associated with weirdos and perverts. Even "nudists" are a somewhat suspect group. There are "social nudity places" in the United States, too, but the people who go to them are perceived as a bit strange, to say the least.

The minimum acceptable clothing on most U.S. beaches is a bikini top and bottom (not thong or G-string), which is often worn. However, an increasing number of girls seem to be covering up more, wearing, for example, shorts and a halter top - which wouldn't appear overly indecent on the street on a hot day. Males normally wear swimming trunks to the beach, which often reach below the knees. Speedos are thought of as "gay".

In the parts of Mexico I've been to, dress at the "river" for bathing is more conservative - usually shirts and shorts for males and females alike, kind of like 1930. But you increasingly see American-style swimsuits.
While the majority of social nudists are not perverts (as far as I know!) nude beaches by their very nature attract the odd pervs. I myself have visited nude beaches a few times and twice have been hit on and other things I can't mention here by middle aged men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World