Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 1st world nation has the worst quality of life in your opinion?
Japan 10 4.02%
South Korea 19 7.63%
Singapore 23 9.24%
United States 68 27.31%
Canada 1 0.40%
UK 21 8.43%
Ireland 3 1.20%
Italy 9 3.61%
France 1 0.40%
Spain 16 6.43%
Germany 3 1.20%
Denmark 0 0%
Sweden 3 1.20%
Poland 68 27.31%
New Zealand 4 1.61%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,144,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post

School is great, but you expect your child to sit in school for 1 hour a day and figure that will be some sort of magic wand. If the child goes home and does nothing to practice what he/she has learned, that's not very good.
Yeah, I don't understand this movement against homework that's gaining popularity with parents these days. They act as if assigning homework were a form of child abuse. Homework reinforces what you've learned, and also gives you an opportunity to practice your skills and find out where you're weak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,709,300 times
I don't either. They think their kids should just "absorb" teacher verbalizations for all time, and that those alone should be sufficient to take the place of practice and analysis, and automatically become knowledge.

Then, when the kid fails, they figure it's that the teacher verbalizations were not good enough.

There's a lot of lunacy out there, isn't there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, I don't understand this movement against homework that's gaining popularity with parents these days. They act as if assigning homework were a form of child abuse. Homework reinforces what you've learned, and also gives you an opportunity to practice your skills and find out where you're weak.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:09 AM

837 posts, read 1,285,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Yes, I know.

Well, I think for one homes in Europe are not as large. My hubby and I had a condo, very small compared with places here.
In Europe everyone dreams of being to live in the city centre and to afford it one day. Suburbs are generally loathed by most people. The opposite happens in North America, that's why the average American city centre is completely lifeless at night.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:54 AM

So true! I have lived in Europe and the U.S. and still don't understand why Americans want to live as far away from people as possible. It baffles me totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
In Europe everyone dreams of being to live in the city centre and to afford it one day. Suburbs are generally loathed by most people. The opposite happens in North America, that's why the average American city centre is completely lifeless at night.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,098,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
I don´t think that is true for everyone, well I cannot speak for all Europeans but knowing many people in Spain the majority of them prefer medium sized towns rather than the hustle and bustle of city centres. I would rather live where I am now than living in any city with the pollution, high cost of living. I´d rather live in the tranquility of my town and be close to a city - we are 40 minutes from Málaga and close to other towns. Rather have the mountains and the beach than the stress of a city.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,487,619 times
Not the case here either, People prefer suburban living.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 AM

3,295 posts, read 6,995,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
New Zealand ranks 5th on the Human Development Index right below the U.S. and above Canada, not sure why you consider it a lower first world nation. As for Italy that one is ranked 24th above countries like the UK which I doubt people here would call a lower first world nation.

Here's the link: List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That index has been discussed time and time again on here, it's as useful as a chocolate tea pot
They recently changed the criteria for the index (last year or last couple of years?) to include more weighting on years of education I think, and that explained part of the reason why the United States rose pretty high up to the top of the list.

If I'm not mistaken, Canada used to take the top spot on the lists quite frequently during the '90s.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,487,619 times
Indeed. Before the change, the UK was in the top 15, but has since fallen right down.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 AM

This is true, but small, medium, and large towns in Spain are dense in population. The population lives tightly together, as if it were a tiny, tiny city. The lands surround it. People are still in constant contact with one another, except for landlord farmers who live off raising crops. Then you might see endless land of crops and one house in the distance. My grandparents are from small towns in Spain. Again, dense in population. Everyone lived tightly in a small space, houses were adjoining one another, or very close to one another, and the lands surrounded the towns. I lived in a medium-sized town in Spain outside of Madrid. Again, the place was dense with people. You could walk everywhere. It's designed differently. My husband's sons lived in a "suburb." Even that consisted of little houses close to one another, and all the neighbors knew one another for that reason. It was about 15 kms out of Madrid, but even the buses stopped there frequently. They build densely in Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I don´t think that is true for everyone, well I cannot speak for all Europeans but knowing many people in Spain the majority of them prefer medium sized towns rather than the hustle and bustle of city centres. I would rather live where I am now than living in any city with the pollution, high cost of living. I´d rather live in the tranquility of my town and be close to a city - we are 40 minutes from Málaga and close to other towns. Rather have the mountains and the beach than the stress of a city.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,098,005 times
I'm Scottish and I was speaking about Scotland too. Generally I prefer loving in a little town or village. Where I come from I was 30 minutesfrom Glasgow which was handy for shopping and nights out but I could always return to the peace and quiet.

Where I live now is a village but it has a new part which is called urbanización. We have land and are building our own villa with patio and pool. I am 15 minutes from the original part of the village on foot but I could live like that so tightly packed together but the apartments are only 3 levels. It's also hilly but I prefer where we are it's spacious like my street in Scotland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World