U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 31,312 times

Advertisements

Especially when you are coming from a third world country (in this case Dominican Republic) just having an interior design certificated diploma course instead of a degree or bachelor; how to get a job while just having this ? Or how to start (I know I gotta start from zero)...

All of this, of course, after becoming a LEGAL permanent resident. Not tricks to the US government. My fiance is American, and soon enough, we gonna get marry and I will move to the USA. I don't want to live by receiving benefits from the Gov. I am studying hard before I'm going there so I can get a job, good enough, so Me and my Husband-to be could be able to support our family .

any advices? am I missing something here about the USA? isn't that complicated or it is?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 04:22 PM

606 posts, read 614,794 times
How to become wealthy and successful in the US?
Most americans don't know the answers.

A lot of people come from 3rd world countries like India and China are pretty good in the U.S.Where you are originally from is not a big issue.

Why not go to a U.S college or university first?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:01 PM

8,670 posts, read 12,681,725 times
Default Go into your own business

Dear Friend,

The best thing about the US is that the tax system really does favor business, from big corporations to a one-person self-proprietorship.

In other words, go into your own business: along with your interior design experience, learn about business management (efficiency and good accounting, among other things) and US tax law.

In view of sky-high costs and stagnant wages, I have come to doubt the value of a US university education: a careful calculation based on one's personal circumstance is truly warranted nowadays.

You may be able to achieve your objectives if you study hard on your own - maybe through more advanced certificates rather than necessarily a university degree -, gain as much experience and clientel as possible (customers care about quality and reliability, experience counts more than a degree), and learn about business management and the tax system.

You can do it! Good luck!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:03 PM

5,044 posts, read 5,058,297 times
work hard, work hard and work hard. Take every opportunity you get and roll with it.

We are immigrants, came here with nothing at all. ; literally, I had to work a week back to pay for my train fare. My dh had about $300 in his pocket.
Now we are here 22 years later, we have been self employed for 15, have three houses(yes, we have mortgages also), but love it here. We worked so hard for the first 8 years of our business ; 15-16 hour days. Then we had child Number 1 and cut back to a 10 hour week. Lukcily we could bring our son to work with us so we didnt have to pay for daycare.

Work hard ; it can be done.
d

Old 09-25-2007, 01:50 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,649,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigionscranton View Post
Especially when you are coming from a third world country (in this case Dominican Republic) just having an interior design certificated diploma course instead of a degree or bachelor; how to get a job while just having this ? Or how to start (I know I gotta start from zero)...

All of this, of course, after becoming a LEGAL permanent resident. Not tricks to the US government. My fiance is American, and soon enough, we gonna get marry and I will move to the USA. I don't want to live by receiving benefits from the Gov. I am studying hard before I'm going there so I can get a job, good enough, so Me and my Husband-to be could be able to support our family .

any advices? am I missing something here about the USA? isn't that complicated or it is?
With the affadavit of support that your fiancee is required to sign before the US government will issue you a visa, you CANNOT go on welfare or your fiancee will be sent a bill for your welfare payments...with interest. I'm not even kidding.

You need to go to VisaJourney.com : Marriage and Family Immigration to the USA (K Visa). They can help you more.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:43 PM

119 posts, read 436,420 times
Hmmmm....not sure what you have heard but the vast majority of US Citizens aren't wealthy or successful. Be prepared to work hard...it's a fast paced country where you have to take care of yourself because the government isn't going to do it.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 18,272 times
how are you, i live in california and my family migrated to the united states in 1992 first it was my parents and then it was me and my sibilings, we all got here to live in a small 1 bedroom apt i was only 6 years old, my dad worked for 2 years for a non profit org called Bienvenidos Children center whith the little english he picked up he became supervisor my mother also worked, we where in the usa for 5 years and the hard labor of both of them they aved up 10k dollars as soon as they did that they opend there own business, it was a gardening service, so my dad started working hard at that time i was 11 years old I started to help my dad soon my dad without taking his eye from the ball he made this Gardening service into a small company he bought his first new car 1 year after the company started then he kept on expanding and right now i'm taking care of the comapany and we are looking into expanding a little further into Landscaping.

All i have to say to u is keep your eye on what you want and never lose your focus, also the business that make the most money in the USA are small business so think about that and start making some risky desicion the outcome is sometimes bad but if it comes out the way u plan it u will become very wealthy.

i recomend you to hire a well known business consultant in the area so u can get to know the best aprts of your industry adn the worst through a profecional thats what we did and now we are doing great!!!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:14 PM

40 posts, read 116,832 times
um.. If I know a way than I wouldn't be standing here.. all day.. all month.. all year. I figure that you just have to know enough. United States accepts people that work hard and learn fast, because that's somehow a American lack.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 50,705 times
What a funny thread. Ya. "How to become wealthy and successful please!!!??? Where do i start!!? HELLO?"

LOL. Like as if no one wants that but you.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:16 PM

384 posts, read 1,084,262 times
If you can, go to school and get a degree in engineering. That is the quickest way, LOL.

And you won't always be wealthy, even with a good degree. You will be well off. Wealth comes either from a very good job, or very good investing. Many people with lower paying jobs can become very wealthy through the right financial decisions and very good planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World