Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times

Advertisements

No matter how hard it might be to believe, some of just don´t think that the US is heaven on earth.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:35 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Why do certain Americans feel the need to be number 1 all the time?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I know some non-American people who don't like the fact that Americans treat their elderly as non-important and tuck them away in nursing homes rather than keep them close.
Another non-Americans think that Americans are superficial and non-community oriented (as Americans value their independence & privacy). Therefore these people think that life in the USA isn't good.
As one gets older and is not eligible for Medicare, the fact that there is no national health care system in the USA a factor that makes life in the USA harder for many people.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As one gets older and is not eligible for Medicare, the fact that there is no national health care system in the USA a factor that makes life in the USA harder for many people.
Most aged people fear that in the u.s.

I'm also not too crazy about the car culture, where you get too old to drive, and stuck in a house with no social outlets to walk to.

When I'm 80, I want to be able to walk to restaurants and meet other old-timers, etc., without being dependent on others to pick me and drop me off somewhere.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:29 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, it's probably true for you than. It depends on what a person likes.

For me, I like living near a million amenities that I can walk to. In the US, it costs an enormous amount of money or a compromise in safety to live in American cities.

I also like safe large cities, which are rare to come by in the States.

I also like paying much less for healthcare needs. My wife had a kid here in Japan, and 5-days of round-the-clock care, plus the birth, plus private room with nursing staff, only cost me $2,000. Probably would have charged me $50,000 for that in the U.S. So, I like having affordable healthcare.

I like drinking a beer with friends at the beach, but it's illegal in the U.S. I also like meeting people for a few drinks once in awhile. Can't do that in the U.S. as all the bars are places you generally have to drive to. Etc. I'd never drink-and-drive, so I wouldn't be able to socialize there, etc.

On and on and on...it's all relevant to what a person's situation in life is. Your life and priorities are probably different than mine, so maybe none of those things matter to you though.
Yet somehow you don't feel like you belong, as indicated in your profile.

BTW, my wife lived in Leiden, NL for six months back in the early 90's as a part of a study abroad. While there she had her locked bike stolen and her apartment broken into with her wallet and passport stolen. It's the most crime she has ever experienced in her life in that short of a period of time. For a frame of reference she grew up just outside Detroit and now lives in the Dorchester section of Boston.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 06-14-2012 at 06:51 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 AM

689 posts, read 2,161,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Looking at some of the earlier threads in this forum, lots of people (especially people who don't live in the U.S. or never been here) think it sucks living here . . .
I have a question for In God We Trust:

Why do so many people who don't live there or have never been there think that it sucks living in Iran or Venezuela?

Thanks to our saturation global media dominance, the rest of the world knows much, much more about American life, than Americans know about Iranian or Venezuelan life. Yet, this forum and others have plenty of postings from people who are quick to pass judgment on those places -- people who have never seen a single movie or TV show that portrayed daily life there, or read a book about life in those countries. In fact, the travel and world forums are full of people who say they would actually refuse to go to those countries and see first hand what they are really like.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post

I am glad someone went through the breakdown so i didn't have to haha, and leave it to a nederlander to shut it down with some good ol' Dutch insight and criticism. dank je wel
Believe it or not the OP is defending the US. The poster obviously believes that people put down this country more than it should be, not without reason btw. As such it is not a patriotic rant.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Looking at some of the earlier threads in this forum, lots of people (especially people who don't live in the U.S. or never been here) think it sucks living here, that we have low minimum wages, expensive or no health care, that the poor have it bad, lack of vacation, poor housing, etc.

First of all. The United States of America is the only superpower nation in the world. It is the world's wealthiest (yes, even with the crises), the world's famous and well-known.

The Federal minimum wage in the U.S. right now is $7.25. However, individual states/cities could set their own minimum wage and most have it higher than the federal minimum wage. Just because the minimum wage is only $7.25 does NOT mean that's what most people working in retail or whatsoever get payed. There are many European countries, even the ones' highly developed, don't have any minimum wage at all! At least in the U.S. any worker is guaranteed something. Remember that taxes in America are lower than those in Europe or countries with higher minimum wage! Some states do not even have any state tax.
Anyways things cost two-three times more in Europe than they do in America.

Regards to the health care. Yes, the U.S. is virtually the only industrial nation with no national health care. Guess what - that does not mean nobody has any health care. If you are low income or elderly, you get medicare/medicaid and pay NOTHING for your medication, hospital visits, etc. In countries where you get health care, you still pay small amount for decent service they provide you. If you have insurance, the U.S. has the best medical service in the entire world <- Yes, it's true.
Americans who work in companies still get health insurance from their companies, and those who work in private could buy their own type of insurance they want. With this 'Obamacare' we will almost get health care. Yes, unfortunately there are many people who don't have any health insurance, but guess what - there are many doctors out there who help you out, and many of them treat you free or low cost.
Remember that in other countries who get health care pays for it too, that's why they have high income taxes! Nothing is free.

Regards to the poor. Yes, there are many low-income Americans. Yes, it sucks being poor in America. However I could guarantee you that the low income in America lives nicer than the low income in other countries.
Anyways there are poor people everywhere, in every single country. I've been to most European countries, including western and northern Europe and saw plenty of homeless people.

Regards to the 'lack of vacation'. Yes, the U.S. is the only industrial nation where the government do not mandate any paid days off for any reason. Just because there is no government mandatory does NOT mean workers do not get any days off. Yeah, most people get 2 weeks off, but PLENTY of workers get 3-5 weeks off, including public holidays. I have friends who get 6 weeks paid vacation, along with all national holidays. Nobody gets this much anywhere in Europe. No, they are not teachers. Anyways I don't think anyone would work in a company that offer bad benefits, or that any company offers that.

Last but not least. Houses in America might not be built in a quality as 'great' as most of Europe; however our houses in general are MUCH MUCH nicer, larger, better gardens, central A/C (most have it) and overall look better. Quality of life is great here!

America is the land of opportunity. This nation has everything that no other nations offers, anywhere from the all type of climates, to the chain stores, to the diversity, to the cities and much more!
God Bless America!

america is a wonderfull place but for those on low incomes , its much tougher than western europe and australia and not just from an income POV , the justice system in america is much more draconian when it comes to petty crime , im not saying crime should be tollerated but if your flat broke , hungary and decide to rob an apple , america is pretty unforgiving

Old 06-14-2012, 08:12 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I don't! But as BigSwede says, I don't think the US is the greatest place on earth, and for some reason that annoys people.

For example, take the OP, saying God bless America, America is great yada yada yada - I never see anyone from any other country doing this.. reps to you for loving your country and all, but..

Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 AM

311 posts, read 605,589 times
It's funny to see people (Who I bet never even been to America) judge the country so bad by listening to the media.

Yes, I agree that it sucks being poor or low-income in America, but so does it suck being poor in other western countries as well. At least the big plus from poor people in America is that they get to live in a beautiful country, and at least live near wealthier areas and get to see rich people. At least the future is bright in America, and everybody has the opportunity to get an educated and become wealthier. Yes, there is financial aid in universities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World