Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 10:26 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
not one european country has ever had a black president or pm , its against the law in the uk for the prime minister or the monarch to be a catholic , the monarch in denmark must be a lutheran , im not calling either of those countrys intollerant but why is the usa held to a uniquely high standard
The UK has had a female prime minister.. the US has never had a female president..

Also, do you really think that law would be upheld? It's like those stupid old laws that say you cannot ride a donkey into the village square at 10am on Sunday morning wearing a hat..

Old 06-17-2012, 02:45 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
[quote=erasure;24773803]Moscow is dirty all right in some areas, but it's definitely not depressive and dark-colored comparably to New-York
[quote]

Really? Outside its center Moscow is an endless sprawl of housing project... what is more depressing?
Also, NYC dark-colored? Have you been just in Midtown West?
Oh yeah, SoHo, TriBeCa, Park Slope, Battery Park, Upper West Side etc etc are soooo dark...
But don't worry about it, there are actually BY FAR more people who dream to live in NYC than in Moscow

Last edited by italianuser; 06-17-2012 at 02:58 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
NYC is one of the safest large cities in the world and the U.S., come here are see plenty of cops on every single street.
Yes I agree with you on that one. There is police on every street almost and there seems to be a lot of them too. I think New York is a safe cool city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
You must be a jealous troll.
Come on man. How can you call someone a jealous troll because his opinion is different to yours.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
judging by the long lines of legal and illegal immigrants i dont think there are a lota people that think america is a bad place. but u r right they do love to bad mouth it and then of course they then sneak in. we seem to be a magnet for ungrateful people.
I dont think many people dislike America at all. I think people dont really care about it to be honest. Why is it such a big deal if many people dont like Americans anyway? Why would you care? I think a lot of people get the vibe from Americans that Americans think the world cares about them and everyone wants to move there. That is simply not true. Some people love it and some people hate it. Thats their opinion which you cant change. We need to get over this whole thing.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
But don't worry about it, there are actually BY FAR more people who dream to live in NYC than in Moscow
Stop bickering. You dont know that. They are two completely different cities. NYC gets more publicity but it doesn't mean its better then Moscow. Its a matter of opinion.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:41 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
I dont think many people dislike America at all. I think people dont really care about it to be honest. Why is it such a big deal if many people dont like Americans anyway? Why would you care? I think a lot of people get the vibe from Americans that Americans think the world cares about them and everyone wants to move there. That is simply not true. Some people love it and some people hate it. Thats their opinion which you cant change. We need to get over this whole thing.
Pretty much bang on. Most don't hate America and even those in the past that despised various American administrations did not include American people in that. Although some did like to bait them for a reaction but more as a joke.

Then you have a population such as Vietnam,Cambodia and Laos who these days welcomes Americans ever after what they endured during the war. I wonder if the welcome would be as forthcoming if the boot was on the other foot?

I think a lot of folk outside America feel it needs to be taken down a notch or two as with some of the loud mouths found abroad from that country.

At the end of the day it is indeed just another country.It does,t have a great influence on my life.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
Stop bickering. You dont know that. They are two completely different cities. NYC gets more publicity but it doesn't mean its better then Moscow. Its a matter of opinion.
The diversity of NYC proves my point

Old 06-17-2012, 06:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Amen, amen, amen, brother!!! Listen to the man.

I have lived in a couple of European countries in the past twelve years, and spent weeks travelling in others -- people do not spend their time talking about the U.S. People know I am an American, but very, very, very rarely do they question me about life in the U.S. or American policies...what interests them most is that I spent most of my life living in Manhattan about ten minutes by subway from Midtown, that does interest people.

Among the people I know and have met here the subject of the U.S. comes up only rarely, and then it is most often as part of a discussion of books or music or films. (Weeks go by before I hear any comments about life in the U.S. or its politics.) I have heard a few people say that they would like to live in the U.S. (sometimes they mean just for an extended period), though most people are finding or looking for their niche in Europe, which they are more familiar with. On those occasions when U.S. foreign or domestic politics get discussed, sometimes opinions are negative, sometime positive....but it is the same when other countries are discussed. Obviously what the U.S., Russia, and China do is usually of greater importance, and gets discussed more often. In my experience, if you want to hear a country slagged - listen to the comments I hear over here about China.

As for having a bad rep, never never underestimate the power of American TV entertainment programs and "news" commentary shows to give a picture of American life that is seen in a negative light.

And never under estimate the pervasive paranoia in current American life, because it is the lens through which Americans think they see the rest of the world constantly judging them and talking about them. This national obsession is perhaps the greatest problem of all. In that respect, I think Americans have the most in common with the citizens of Arab countries.

Peace, folks, in my part of the world, at least, people are enjoying a good cup of coffee after Sunday lunch by the sea and chatting with their friends about their own lives, and the U.S. is not even being thought about. So, tchau, I am off to join them....and fear not, I shall not mention this thread.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I have lived in a couple of European countries in the past twelve years, and spent weeks travelling in others -- people do not spend their time talking about the U.S. People know I am an American, but very, very, very rarely do they question me about life in the U.S. or American policies...what interests them most is that I spent most of my life living in Manhattan about ten minutes by subway from Midtown, that does interest people.
That's true everywhere you go in the world. 99% of the time, the average person is only concerned about what's happening in their own locality or region.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:34 AM

311 posts, read 605,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Appealing? NYC's subway is a grim utility. Moscow's subway system is a work of fine art. End of subway discussion.
NYC subway is OK. Parts of it is tiny and dirty, while other parts are fine and clean.
NYC has taxis and buses as well as ferries as public transportation too, nobody needs to take any underground train. Or why not walk and explore the city streets?

Keep in mind that NYC subway runs 24/7/365, so it's hard to keep it clean 100% while running it all the time, unlike other cities of which the subway shuts down for few hours. I wish NYC's closed for few hours too. NYC subway is the largest in the world by number of stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World